New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
May 6, 2015 at 1:18 AM Post #6,826 of 9,484
I never ran into that problem when I was using my Gungnir with various versions of Audirvana and OSX.

Now using Audirvana Plus 2.09 with Mavericks with my Yggy, still with no problems.

FYI: I am running in iTunes Integrated Mode with Exclusive Access and Direct Modes engaged. Integer Mode is off. With no upsampling. Volume Control set to DAC only, Max level 100%. Use AU effects off.

just matched your settings with my Audirvana 2.0.12  and OS X 10.10.3 - and the bass clipping is still there via Gungnir and Lyr 2.
note:  I even tried Audirvana in Integrated Mode.  same issue.
and later switched the Converter to "Core Audio"  - clipping still happened.
downgraded to Audirvana 1.5.10 and used iTunes Integrated mode - clipping still happened.

if I play the same track(s) in iTunes (not Audirvana) - the clipping does NOT occur.

beginning to think it's just a "hot" mastered track + Audirvana putting it over the edge....

May 6, 2015 at 1:21 AM Post #6,827 of 9,484

No, man – there's no need to reprocess anything. Just find a player that does this and tag your files...

I don't want to pursue a solution that limits me to a specific player or a very small selection of players that support some certain custom feature.  If I decide to pursue this it will be fixed the right way.  By reprocessing the files.

May 6, 2015 at 4:00 AM Post #6,828 of 9,484
Yggy ordered.

Thankfully I have lots to do so early July should arrive quite quickly (Schiit Europe order) :¬)

May 6, 2015 at 4:37 AM Post #6,829 of 9,484
So far, I am really enjoying my new Yggy. Moving up from a Modi 2, the sound is much more defined and controlled. Still only have had it on for about nine hours, so we will see how things change over the next week. One issue to report, however. I have mine connected to a 2009 Mac Pro and was initially using USB. The problem I encountered was that, whenever I put the computer to sleep, it would not wake up. I had to hard power it off, then back on. I am not sure if it is a software or hardware issue, but I am suspecting a hardware incompatibility as the power light starts to blink after I try to bring it out of sleep mode. I moved it to optical, and it now appears to be working fine.

Just as an update: I think I tracked this down to be due to the USB card I have in my computer rather than the Mac Pro. If I connect to a built-in USB port or use a Wyrd between the computer and the Yggdrasil, the computer sleeps and wakes fine.

May 6, 2015 at 5:06 AM Post #6,830 of 9,484
I also have a 2009 Mac Pro and try not letting the mac go to sleep but instead just activate the screen saver mode.

Sleep and hibernate are not really meant to have active apps running in the background and have everything completely survive after re-activation.

JJ

May 6, 2015 at 5:52 AM Post #6,831 of 9,484
I also have a 2009 Mac Pro and try not letting the mac go to sleep but instead just activate the screen saver mode.

Sleep and hibernate are not really meant to have active apps running in the background and have everything completely survive after re-activation.

JJ

sorry to correct you, but sleep/hibernate are meant for *EXACTLY* that purpose ... 100% exactly to be more precise :wink:. And they do work fine on both of my Win7 laptops and all my USB DACs and the U12 are doing fine after sleep, hibernate or whatever else I do with my PC ... my USB HDDs too, my phone too and pretty much *any* other USB device I use.

What you two describe (and some other posters before with audirvana/volume issues) sounds like (possibly serious) problems in the USB stack implementation .. either on the MAC side or on the Iggy side .. or both!
Of course, those things are never easy or clear and there could be about a trillion other (than USB) software/hardware issues, but it's 100% sure that either your Mac or your Iggy are doing something very wrong... or both. Or it's you (e.g. some wrong MacOs settings)

P.S.
what I find quite funny is how you guys are dealing with those problems. This kind of behaviour on a pc with some other DAC will normally get a reaction like "screw this stoopid dac/pc/etc" or "this cr*p never works" ... since both the iggy and the macs are such 'darlings', in this case it is either noone's fault (wow!) or you blame some "poor bystander" like hybernate. Oh, the power of true love :)

May 6, 2015 at 6:06 AM Post #6,832 of 9,484
Wow. Let's try not to make this a PC vs Mac debate. Yes, I truly admit this is a Mac issue. I could probably find something wrong with a PC just as easily. No computer is perfect. You just learn what is wrong with a particular system and find something else to make it work. Anyhow, it probably has to do with something about the Gen3 implementation and a Mac Pro not quite working right together. I had the same issue when I had my Modi and a Bifrost attached to the system via USB at the same time. It works fine with a Bifrost, Modi and a Modi2 attached to it via USB one at a time. By moving to optical, I am fine. Computer sleeps, wakes just fine.

May 6, 2015 at 6:13 AM Post #6,833 of 9,484
Sweet that's great to know, and I shall not run a audio signal into the Yggdrasil 24/7. Hope yea have a great night jamming out.

I'd run two audio signals into the Iggy .. it's the only way to be sure :wink:. Also use a few blankets to be sure it stays warm, even during power outages .. and give the guy a hot tea from time to time .. also a few nice encouraging words in the morning wont hurt.

Joking aside, I'm one of those people who do not believe in burnin .. or just dont care. But if you do, you do not get to choose what burns-in and what does not. Everything between the input and output connectors of the iggy does burnin ... and I really mean *everything*, e.g. even the case will suffer microscopic changes like any other metal piece that you keep warm for a few days. And let's not forget the cable burnin! The only way to be sure (seriously this time) is to put a continuous audio signal through the iggy (just use a huge playlist) ... and also make sure to alternate all the inputs/outputs that you plan to use/test. The music doesnt have to be loud and/or you can mute your amp so it does not disturb anyone.
Like you americans say: if it's worth doing, it's worth doing it right! :wink:

I will need some time to describe exactly what this thing is doing as it is not part of the normal audiophile vocabulary. It's not about technical prowess, although there is that in spades too. This is something else completely. It's smooth, it's unitary and it's analogic sounding, but there's more too. It's bloody impressive natural and realistic, while being understated at the same time.

Unfortunately with my headphones I think I am hitting a bit of a transducers limitation. The modded HD800s can't handle what my speakers can in terms of realism and effortlessness. Although they try to push the analytic side, it's a bit of a desperate effort. They sound a bit off and a bit of a struggle. The HE-6s do a bit a better at realism, but have some flaws of their own. My hopes lie with the HE1000s now. My upstream rig is exactly the same for both headphones and speakers.

Sounds to me like you may be hitting something else .. like the bottom of the audio heaven .. or was it the top? :)

Wow. Let's try not to make this a PC vs Mac debate... No computer is perfect.

Sorry if it came out that way, never my intent ... that P.S. was just a musing about how people deal with (usually) beloved vs (usually) hated components. If you like a component you forget almost all its faults, otherwise you start cursing it for pretty much anything.
Almost like those computers and/or audio components were other people :D

May 6, 2015 at 6:19 AM Post #6,834 of 9,484
sorry to correct you, but sleep/hibernate are meant for *EXACTLY* that purpose ... 100% exactly to be more precise
wink.gif
. And they do work fine on both of my Win7 laptops and all my USB DACs and the U12 are doing fine after sleep, hibernate or whatever else I do with my PC ... my USB HDDs too, my phone too and pretty much *any* other USB device I use.

What you two describe (and some other posters before with audirvana/volume issues) sounds like (possibly serious) problems in the USB stack implementation .. either on the MAC side or on the Iggy side .. or both!
Of course, those things are never easy or clear and there could be about a trillion other (than USB) software/hardware issues, but it's 100% sure that either your Mac or your Iggy are doing something very wrong... or both. Or it's you (e.g. some wrong MacOs settings)

P.S.
what I find quite funny is how you guys are dealing with those problems. This kind of behaviour on a pc with some other DAC will normally get a reaction like "screw this stoopid dac/pc/etc" or "this cr*p never works" ... since both the iggy and the macs are such 'darlings', in this case it is either noone's fault (wow!) or you blame some "poor bystander" like hybernate. Oh, the power of true love
smily_headphones1.gif

I see…

My opinion of using sleep and hibernate stands, as I stated "try not letting the mac go to sleep" to see if this helps cures the issue.

Hibernate on windoz and mac has been problematic for many including me.
I still don't recommend it.

As for sleep it is better, but I do notice it can still have problems coming 'back to life' in some situations.

Thus my suggestion to try just using the screen saver mode.

YMMV

JJ

May 6, 2015 at 7:43 AM Post #6,835 of 9,484
I'd run two audio signals into the Iggy .. it's the only way to be sure :wink:. Also use a few blankets to be sure it stays warm, even during power outages .. and give the guy a hot tea from time to time .. also a few nice encouraging words in the morning wont hurt.

Joking aside, I'm one of those people who do not believe in burnin .. or just dont care. But if you do, you do not get to choose what burns-in and what does not. Everything between the input and output connectors of the iggy does burnin ... and I really mean *everything*, e.g. even the case will suffer microscopic changes like any other metal piece that you keep warm for a few days. And let's not forget the cable burnin! The only way to be sure (seriously this time) is to put a continuous audio signal through the iggy (just use a huge playlist) ... and also make sure to alternate all the inputs/outputs that you plan to use/test. The music doesnt have to be loud and/or you can mute your amp so it does not disturb anyone.
Like you americans say: if it's worth doing, it's worth doing it right! :wink:
Sounds to me like you may be hitting something else .. like the bottom of the audio heaven .. or was it the top? :)

Sorry if it came out that way, never my intent ... that P.S. was just a musing about how people deal with (usually) beloved vs (usually) hated components. If you like a component you forget almost all its faults, otherwise you start cursing it for pretty much anything.
Almost like those computers and/or audio components were other people :D

I only leave my Yggdrasil on all the time because the man who created this magnificent dac has advised it be left on. And if Mike Moffat advises his dac should be left on then so be it. I do turn of my Ragnarok, when its not going to be used, for over an hour; as the instruction manual instructs. I do not leave most of my electronics on all the time, I like to conserve energy when ever I can. However, I will leave the Yggdrasil on all the time, unless a nasty lightning storm gets to close, or FPL has a power outage.

May 6, 2015 at 8:13 AM Post #6,836 of 9,484
I only leave my Yggdrasil on all the time because the man who created this magnificent dac has advised it be left on. And if Mike Moffat advises his dac should be left on then so be it. I do turn of my Ragnarok, when its not going to be used, for over an hour; as the instruction manual instructs. I do not leave most of my electronics on all the time, I like to conserve energy when ever I can. However, I will leave the Yggdrasil on all the time, unless a nasty lightning storm gets to close, or FPL has a power outage.

Always good to follow the instructions :).
But I would bet that the keep-it-on recommendation refers to the after-burnin phase and *not* the initial burn-in itself. If you are just keeping the DAC on without signal, you are simply keeping it warm, not burnin it in. That keep-it-on advice is usually related to the fact that sensitive clocks need a few minutes/hours to warm-up/stabilize after a cold start .. tubes too .. caps maybe .. etc.

You could read lots about burnin for all sorts of components over the net .. it's *always* done with full signal through ... some go as far as building special burnin playlists with various types of music and one can buy special burnin cd-s or special cable burnin machines.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I doubt the Iggy is any different ... OTOH, never heard of days-long warmups either so there may be something to the Iggy .. but I seriously doubt that in the burnin case.
Long story short: you cannot truly burn-in an audio component without a signal, same as you cannot burn (almost) anything without a fire :)

May 6, 2015 at 8:35 AM Post #6,838 of 9,484
Always good to follow the instructions
smily_headphones1.gif
But I would bet that the keep-it-on recommendation refers to the after-burnin phase and *not* the initial burn-in itself. If you are just keeping the DAC on without signal, you are simply keeping it warm, not burnin it in. That keep-it-on advice is usually related to the fact that sensitive clocks need a few minutes/hours to warm-up/stabilize after a cold start .. tubes too .. caps maybe .. etc.

You could read lots about burnin for all sorts of components over the net .. it's *always* done with full signal through ... some go as far as building special burnin playlists with various types of music and one can buy special burnin cd-s or special cable burnin machines.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I doubt the Iggy is any different ... OTOH, never heard of days-long warmups either so there may be something to the Iggy .. but I seriously doubt that in the burnin case.
Long story short: you cannot truly burn-in an audio component without a signal, same as you cannot burn (almost) anything without a fire
smily_headphones1.gif

Well, if the Yggy's output transistors are operating in Class A (and they should be), wouldn't it be hotter without a signal?

May 6, 2015 at 10:00 AM Post #6,839 of 9,484
Always good to follow the instructions
smily_headphones1.gif

Long story short: you cannot truly burn-in an audio component without a signal, same as you cannot burn (almost) anything without a fire
smily_headphones1.gif

Based upon Mike's comments, I think you're wrong, the differences with Yggy's sound over time have to do with temperature and not signal.

this isn't the traditional audiophile "burn-in", and while Mike has used the term "burn-in", he has also used the term "warm-up"; in both cases it appears he is simply talking about keeping the DAC on with no signal required.   

If I'm wrong Mike, please correct me.  

http://www.head-fi.org/t/667711/new-schiit-ragnarok-and-yggdrasil/6600#post_11566460
http://www.head-fi.org/t/693798/thoughts-on-a-bunch-of-dacs-and-why-delta-sigma-sucks/3405#post_11460529
http://www.head-fi.org/t/693798/thoughts-on-a-bunch-of-dacs-and-why-delta-sigma-sucks/3345#post_11455570

May 6, 2015 at 10:12 AM Post #6,840 of 9,484
Well, if the Yggy's output transistors are operating in Class A (and they should be), wouldn't it be hotter without a signal?

could be, I know neither the Iggy nor EE that good ... but if it was only about the heat, you might just as well keep it on a heater :)

Most burnin 'theories' flying around refer to vibrations ... or micro vibrations in case of DACs. When a DAC plays there is quite a bit of that happening (e.g. that's why some people put granite plates under and above DACs & other components) .. and there's very little to none of that when the DAC just sits there turned on.

Anyway, dont think it's of much use to go so deep into burnin 'theories' or to split hairs here.
Suffice to say that burn-in is pretty much synonymous with audio-signal-goes-through. Anything else is just warm-up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back