New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
May 6, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #6,841 of 9,484
There's a gap in my rack where Yggy belongs, cables are run and Yggy has it's own special outlet on my UPS.

8:10 amOn FedEx vehicle for delivery HENDERSON, CO

It's been 20 min, where's my Schiit?

May 6, 2015 at 10:37 AM Post #6,844 of 9,484
And 1 last min question ...   USB 2 or 3?

I have both on my Asrock MB, my NAD has run flawlessly on USB 2 and I'm inclined to stick with success unless there is an advantage to running usb 3.

May 6, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #6,845 of 9,484
  And 1 last min question ...   USB 2 or 3?

I have both on my Asrock MB, my NAD has run flawlessly on USB 2 and I'm inclined to stick with success unless there is an advantage to running usb 3.

The Yggdrasil runs at USB 2.0 speed.  

May 6, 2015 at 10:44 AM Post #6,846 of 9,484
  There's a gap in my rack where Yggy belongs, cables are run and Yggy has it's own special outlet on my UPS.

8:10 amOn FedEx vehicle for delivery HENDERSON, CO

It's been 20 min, where's my Schiit?

I could hardly sleep last night after reading some 160hr+ remarks.  My Yggy finally made it to the local FedEx office after being MIA since yesterday afternoon.  Time to light it up and let the clock start.

7:03 am               At local FedEx facility  
              SUNNYVALE, CA

May 6, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #6,848 of 9,484

I am so confused.  Where can I find  "class x" applies to non-amplifiers? sitty FAQ? ..........   please....   

The line output drivers in the Yggy are indeed amplifiers.  But unlike power amps driving speakers they drive lighter loads that are considered high impedance.  Power difference whether a load is connected or is not is probably measured in mW or uW.  So the line driver temperature would only increase by a small fraction with a load connected.

May 6, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #6,850 of 9,484
  Oh, snap, Bonnie Raitt never sounded so good....right in the middle of "thing called love" I realized I was hearing more layers than ever before.
basshead.gif

If there is a recording of "I Can't Make You Love Me" in existence somewhere that isn't horribly mastered then I would love to find it.

May 6, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #6,851 of 9,484
I am no electrical engineer but for the sake of probing into the question, my hypothesis is that, the issue with R2R it seems is that resistance varies with temperature and thus accuracy of the getting the signal done right in multi bit DACs. S-D designs get around that problem with real life performance of resistors but introduce other problems of their own. The engineering issue is therefore not to get the DAC sufficiently hot (eg the suggestion that you could just heat the thing with a heater) but to achieve thermal stability, ie to get the Yggy at the same temperature constantly, which may require a longer power on period. So while the Yggy doesn't sound bad at all shortly after startup, to achieve its best sound it may require days to stabilise the temperature of the components.

The question I have is therefore is whether one needs days of warm up to achieve thermal stability?

May 6, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #6,852 of 9,484
I am no electrical engineer but for the sake of probing into the question, my hypothesis is that, the issue with R2R it seems is that resistance varies with temperature and thus accuracy of the getting the signal done right in multi bit DACs. S-D designs get around that problem with real life performance of resistors but introduce other problems of their own. The engineering issue is therefore not to get the DAC sufficiently hot (eg the suggestion that you could just heat the thing with a heater) but to achieve thermal stability, ie to get the Yggy at the same temperature constantly, which may require a longer power on period. So while the Yggy doesn't sound bad at all shortly after startup, to achieve its best sound it may require days to stabilise the temperature of the components.

The question I have is therefore is whether one needs days of warm up to achieve thermal stability?

From what people are saying, probably a couple of days for the components to get stable, and then a few more days for your brain to get used to the new sound. :p

May 6, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #6,853 of 9,484
Always good to follow the instructions
smily_headphones1.gif
But I would bet that the keep-it-on recommendation refers to the after-burnin phase and *not* the initial burn-in itself. If you are just keeping the DAC on without signal, you are simply keeping it warm, not burnin it in. That keep-it-on advice is usually related to the fact that sensitive clocks need a few minutes/hours to warm-up/stabilize after a cold start .. tubes too .. caps maybe .. etc.

You could read lots about burnin for all sorts of components over the net .. it's *always* done with full signal through ... some go as far as building special burnin playlists with various types of music and one can buy special burnin cd-s or special cable burnin machines.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I doubt the Iggy is any different ... OTOH, never heard of days-long warmups either so there may be something to the Iggy .. but I seriously doubt that in the burnin case.
Long story short: you cannot truly burn-in an audio component without a signal, same as you cannot burn (almost) anything without a fire
smily_headphones1.gif

Correct, burn-in is only occurring w/ a load, as stated by a few very smart people in this thread-  You need to put 'mileage' on the internal components, such as caps-

Keeping it on 24/7 should be done for the reasons as stated by Mike previously… as should ANY DAC...

May 6, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #6,854 of 9,484
From what people are saying, probably a couple of days for the components to get stable, and then a few more days for your brain to get used to the new sound. :p
Or a couple more days to find that one song that will give you the "holy schiit" moment you were looking for...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back