New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
May 6, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #6,872 of 9,484
I would enjoy a thread where we could post albums/tracks that benefit from phase inversion... as I can hear it myself on some tracks with the HD-650's, I'd been down with contributing as well.

May 6, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #6,876 of 9,484
For all you potential tweakers out there (the one of two of you....he he).  I just got a phone call from someone who is using 2 Gungnirs in a quad amped system......I told him to bypass the fuse with copper foil (wrap copper foil around the fuse and re-insert) and snip right at the bottom the lead to the LED on the input he was using.  He is using this Gungnir on his midrange......he says the sound is "much cleaner, much more open and airy"  and now is going to do the mod on his tweeter Gungnir. I am sure the same difference would happened in the Yggy.  For those who think this is dangerous then just get an audiophile fuse......but stock fuses are seriously bad.  And LEDs distort the sound.  Tweaky deaky, over and out.

May 6, 2015 at 4:40 PM Post #6,878 of 9,484
For all you potential tweakers out there (the one of two of you....he he).  I just got a phone call from someone who is using 2 Gungnirs in a quad amped system......I told him to bypass the fuse with copper foil (wrap copper foil around the fuse and re-insert) and snip right at the bottom the lead to the LED on the input he was using.  He is using this Gungnir on his midrange......he says the sound is "much cleaner, much more open and airy"  and now is going to do the mod on his tweeter Gungnir. I am sure the same difference would happened in the Yggy.  For those who think this is dangerous then just get an audiophile fuse......but stock fuses are seriously bad.  And LEDs distort the sound.  Tweaky deaky, over and out.

The stock fuses may be very bad but a functional Dac still sounds much better than a fried one :)
I wouldn't try that fuse 'mod' on my shinny new $2K Dac .. especially if you keep it on 24/7 and dont have any sort of protection upstream (surge protection, iso trafo, etc)

May 6, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #6,879 of 9,484

How goes it, crazy bad advice guy?

May 6, 2015 at 4:47 PM Post #6,880 of 9,484

Hope he has good property and fire insurance!

May 6, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #6,882 of 9,484
Why do people want to tweak their gear before they ever give it a listen and letting it settle in?  Not all tweaks will have a positive influence on sound quality especially when performed on a whim without rhyme or reason.  I dunno about you guys.... 

May 6, 2015 at 5:23 PM Post #6,883 of 9,484
Okay, I've had the RYggy stack running for approx 1 wk and 4 days with a continuous load throughout that time and all I can say is that The Yggy is remarkable. It's clean, quiet, fluid, dynamic, and now effortless in its presentation of all audio sound and music regardless of genre. I've thrown everything at it from folk, to classical, to bluegrass, rock, pop, country etc. even played movies with heavy fx and listened via speakers and from headphones and everything just sounds right. I'm not going to lie. I was always looking forward to getting the Yggy but after listening to it at SoCal CanJam 2015 and not coming away to impressed I was a little concerned but I decided to give it a shot anyways as I know meet conditions are not optimal for auditioning DACs and headphones. Plus I figured I could always return/sell the Yggy for little to no loss, or even maybe make a couple of bucks as I know it had been hyped up quite a bit and there's always someone out their willing to pay for the newest toy on the market. Needless to say, I'm keeping the Yggy. It makes everything sound good and has that just right presentation of instruments and vocals. I don't know how to put it into words but sound just sounds correct coming from the Yggy. I believe Mr Moffat stated in an earlier post that he was attempting to recreate instrument sounds as true to life as possible and to that regard I think he has done a remarkable job. Thank you, Mike and Jason as well as Schiit for creating this wonderful product and pricing it at a point where a lot of us can afford it. Now I'm not an authority of any sort as I am not a musician or music editor or anything like that but I've always been around music as I have aunts and uncles and cousins that sing and play in bands so I know what drums, guitars, oboes, synthesizers, male and female vocals etc should sound like and Yggy is as close to life as I've heard thus far.

For those that are looking for a good DAC do yourselves a favor and audition a fully burned-in and warmed up Yggy before making any purchases regardless if you are shopping at 2-3 times Yggy's price point. I think you will be pleasantly surprised and I honestly beleive you'll be doing yourself a disservice if you don't.

Happy listening all :)

May 6, 2015 at 5:58 PM Post #6,884 of 9,484

Can you read?.....I clearly stated that if you felt this was "dangerous" then use an Audiophile fuse. 

Better fusing and removing of LEDs is not a whim.....these are proven tweaking techniques that lower distortion......just as the guy with the Gungnir described.  Most people are conservative.....me, the first thing I do when I get a new piece of gear is to remove the cover and make a list of the things I am going to change almost right away (before burn in).  Once you know what does what then you just have to do it.  Most here have no clue as to what I am saying.....I am speaking a different language (tweakease).  A very few will try what I say and get the benefits.....your call.  As long as you can put it back to stock in case there is a problem....then why not?  Nothing risked, nothing gained.

May 6, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #6,885 of 9,484
  Two things to address: 1) Polarity and its Inversions  2) Warm-Up vs. Burn-In and the Yggy  (a question addressed to @baldr himself)

1) Polarity

... The number of rebook recordings which benefit from this astound. ...The difference can be subtle, but with certain recordings boy can it make a difference. ... But even with headphones the change to the sounds – specifically certain attacks – is sometimes shocking on some recordings. By inverting polarity a hi-hat can sound like a completely different instrument!

D

^This. For some tracks, I am pretty certain it's my imagination and am actually tempted to log a record of the results and see if I really am consistent across multiple listens.

However, for some recordings / some tracks, it's exactly as you said: hi-hat sounds more like the real thing (inverse polarity sounds diffuse comparatively) and all percussion instruments in general for me.

I leave it aside when doing "casual" / background listening (what of waste of fine gear for this you might say :) ) but actually have been checking this out most times when doing "critical" / focused listening.

Last: about the DAC no longer sounding like anything when the warm up journey is achieved, I can relate to that with the Total Dac, except I felt there after 4 hours, not 160. There must be some pretty tough cookies in the Iggy that resist heat :wink:.

arnaud

Users who are viewing this thread

Back