New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Jun 30, 2014 at 12:15 AM Post #2,403 of 9,484
I'd love Schiit even more if they charged $1701 instead do $1699. Why cut me out of owning a real €1700 amp?

Dude,
dont do this. Why are we helping escalate the price ?!
wink.gif

Edit: I know I know...kidding and all that

Jun 30, 2014 at 12:24 AM Post #2,404 of 9,484
  How do you know about Yggdrasil specs?

It's a competently built DAC, of course its specs will be very good. Only question will be however many zeroes people want after the "." and before the first digit of the THD+N, or whether the dynamic range will be adequate for supplying fullrange sound to an average concert stage or a full arena. Point is that compared to your headphones, speakers or even amplifier, Yggy's specs are unlikely to be the limiting factor. Whatever sound people ascribe to DACs often has little correlation to that DAC's measurements.

Though I am curious and patiently waiting for a graph of an impulse response of a signal sent through that wonderfilter they have brewing.

Jun 30, 2014 at 2:18 AM Post #2,405 of 9,484
I am excited that Schiit is building a discreet R2R rail DAC. That is the next frontier. Yeo at DIYParadise had developed one in the $2,000 range but I do not think that he can compete with Schiit on such issues as power supplies, USB implementation etc. With my GS-X mk2 coming very soon, I was thinking of ordering a Gungnir or the very expensive Ayres QB-9. Now I will wait for the Yggdrasil which has the DAC technology that I want plus Schiit's commitment to detail at what looks to be a favorable price (also around $2,000 I believe?).

I am glad that I saw this thread!

Jun 30, 2014 at 6:27 AM Post #2,406 of 9,484
  I am excited that Schiit is building a discreet R2R rail DAC. That is the next frontier. Yeo at DIYParadise had developed one in the $2,000 range but I do not think that he can compete with Schiit on such issues as power supplies, USB implementation etc. With my GS-X mk2 coming very soon, I was thinking of ordering a Gungnir or the very expensive Ayres QB-9. Now I will wait for the Yggdrasil which has the DAC technology that I want plus Schiit's commitment to detail at what looks to be a favorable price (also around $2,000 I believe?).

I am glad that I saw this thread!

They are not building R2R DAC... Jason said several times already.

Jun 30, 2014 at 6:49 AM Post #2,408 of 9,484

A ton? No. And if you count R2R vs sigma-delta DACs sold, you're talking 0.01% or less--sigma-delta is everywhere, not just in standalone DACs, but in players and phones and tablets and computers and DAPs and everywhere.

R2R is nearly dead as a technology, except for a few heroic efforts using discrete R2R arrays, a few still using the last of the 6000 PCM1704s in the world, NOS stuff using 16- and 18-bit chips...that's it.

And even the handful manufacturers using R2R to make that vanishingly small percentage of DACs don't have a bit-perfect digital filter. Yggy does. Yggy's going to be unique. At any price.

Ahhh! This is on-topic. Count me as still interested - and the more I read, the more interested I become. I look forward to the un-redacting of some of the fleshy details.
smile.gif

Jun 30, 2014 at 10:49 AM Post #2,411 of 9,484
  Jason:

I need you to hold me tight and whisper sweet nothings into my ear about the Ragnarok. I need you to tell me how great it's going to be and how me and the Ragnarok will live happily ever after until the end of the world.

OJNeg, this was the best post ever in this thread imho.

I will be satisfied enough with living vicariously through you, let me know how it goes. Details on the sweet nothings appreciated..

Jun 30, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #2,412 of 9,484
There are only two buttons on Ragnarok, but three things that need to be changed (gain, input and output). So how does that work? I'm just curious, and I'm assuming those of you that want one have been following this like hawks and know. 

Jun 30, 2014 at 1:30 PM Post #2,414 of 9,484
  There are only two buttons on Ragnarok, but three things that need to be changed (gain, input and output). So how does that work? I'm just curious, and I'm assuming those of you that want one have been following this like hawks and know. 

I believe Jason mentioned that the output is changed by a press-and-hold on one of the buttons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back