NEW Schiit Lyr 2: Impressions
Apr 9, 2017 at 5:41 AM Post #2,011 of 2,168
  To move to a different sound signature from the HD650 my suggestions would be a HE560 (brighter, better sound stage, a bit more mid centric, deeper bass without the mid bass hump of the HD650) and more extended and smoother highs.  My other suggestions would be to see if you can find either a Ypsilon S2 or Nhoord Red v2 build, they are like the RS series Grado that use wood cups, much more dynamic with tighter bass and cleaner highs.  Look in my profile if you want to see pictures of the ones that I've built.

Thank-you @DavidA... The HE560 sounds like it needs more investigation by me. The others I haven't heard of and I'll look them up. You have quite some inventory of  headphones...your experience impressions are appreciated in helping to narrow things down for me.

Apr 10, 2017 at 5:47 AM Post #2,012 of 2,168
I agree about the he-560. Incredible sound with my lyr2. People usually prefer them than the 650.

Apr 10, 2017 at 5:53 AM Post #2,013 of 2,168
I agree about the he-560. Incredible sound with my lyr2. People usually prefer them than the 650.

Yes, I've been checking them out on various reviews & threads...seems like a good step up for me and match for the LYR2. Highly probable I will order these. However, I am now thinking about what tubes to consider (without spending a fortune !) for the HE-560 that works well on the LYR2 ? They are a 'brighter' (clearer) phone to the HD-650 and I find conflicting views on tube types. Any comments/experiences appreciated.

Apr 10, 2017 at 5:56 AM Post #2,014 of 2,168
Generalex gold lion are very good (for me) with he-560.
Or JJ gold Tubes (new production).

Apr 10, 2017 at 10:44 AM Post #2,015 of 2,168
Yes, I've been checking them out on various reviews & threads...seems like a good step up for me and match for the LYR2. Highly probable I will order these. However, I am now thinking about what tubes to consider (without spending a fortune !) for the HE-560 that works well on the LYR2 ? They are a 'brighter' (clearer) phone to the HD-650 and I find conflicting views on tube types. Any comments/experiences appreciated.

Pop on over to the lyr tube rolling thread, lots of seasoned rollers there with much knowledge.

Apr 10, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #2,016 of 2,168

Some of the other headphones that I like with the Lyr2: Nighthawks, TH-600, K7XX, LCD-2f, HD700, EL8 open, and SRH-1840.

Get socket savers if you haven't already got them, makes tube rolling much easier, along with Deoxit (might have already posted this)

As for tubes: one set Telefunken (clear, clean and dynamic, don't spend on CCa unless you get a good deal of under $100/tube), one set Amperex (warmer fuller sounding), Voskhod (economical but still good, substitute for Telefunken), and either Gold Lion or Electro-Harmonix (nice balance between warm and clear/clean)

Apr 10, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #2,017 of 2,168
Pop on over to the lyr tube rolling thread, lots of seasoned rollers there with much knowledge.

Apologies, if I am wrongly hi-jacking this thread. I have looked at it and it's certainly interesting an intersting thread, but rather a large one and sometimes confusing for a newbie in tube-rolling.

Apr 10, 2017 at 2:20 PM Post #2,018 of 2,168
  Some of the other headphones that I like with the Lyr2: Nighthawks, TH-600, K7XX, LCD-2f, HD700, EL8 open, and SRH-1840.

Get socket savers if you haven't already got them, makes tube rolling much easier, along with Deoxit (might have already posted this)

As for tubes: one set Telefunken (clear, clean and dynamic, don't spend on CCa unless you get a good deal of under $100/tube), one set Amperex (warmer fuller sounding), Voskhod (economical but still good, substitute for Telefunken), and either Gold Lion or Electro-Harmonix (nice balance between warm and clear/clean)

Thank-you @DAvidA ... I've noticed your contributions here and there. Your suggestions for the HE-560 noted....looks like a reasonable and not too expensive starting point.

Apr 10, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #2,019 of 2,168
Apologies, if I am wrongly hi-jacking this thread. I have looked at it and it's certainly interesting an intersting thread, but rather a large one and sometimes confusing for a newbie in tube-rolling.

Nah was not meant at a thread hyjacking post, think you should as some questions there is all. Were are friendly bunch.

Apr 10, 2017 at 2:31 PM Post #2,020 of 2,168
Nah was not meant at a thread hyjacking post, think you should as some questions there is all. Were are friendly bunch.

Thanks...I'll re-post on there as well.

Apr 10, 2017 at 2:46 PM Post #2,021 of 2,168

It's hard to find Telefunken CCa or Siemens CCa tubes for under $200 per matched pair. In fact, these days I would say it is highly unlikely. As long you pay under $250 per matched pair you are doing okay. At $125 per tube, I would say the CCa's are worth it compared to most of the tubes out there. I have averaged about $112.50 per tube on my CCa purchases getting well matched tubes through reputable sellers on eBay.

Apr 10, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #2,022 of 2,168

Damn! Does that mean I have to be nice?  
beerchug.gif

Apr 14, 2017 at 9:30 AM Post #2,025 of 2,168

just wanted to let you know that I felt the K7XX and HD700 love the Lyr2 (I have Matsuhita/National NOS tubes), and I just bought an EL-8 open from another member and am waiting for them now. This got me really excited, in all honesty 
smily_headphones1.gif
 Do you know if the EL-8 open you heard was a 2016 revision model or earlier?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back