NEW Schiit Lyr 2: Impressions
May 14, 2016 at 10:54 AM Post #1,636 of 2,168
  Thinking about pulling the trigger on one of these Lyr 2's... however I'm worried that a 3 is around the corner? Should I hold off? I haven't really seen any information regarding any of the upcoming Schiit lineups.

Thanks
biggrin.gif

What headphones are you going to be using with the Lyr2?

May 14, 2016 at 11:42 AM Post #1,637 of 2,168
  What headphones are you going to be using with the Lyr2?

Mostly the HE-500's, however I am thinking about picking up a Beyer T5P sometime in the future. I hear mostly good things with the pairing and the thought of rolling some tubes and the LISST intrigues me quite a bit. Appears I get the best of both world's really with a Lyr purchase getting that tube goodness and a bit of SS sound as well.

May 14, 2016 at 1:50 PM Post #1,638 of 2,168

Mostly the HE-500's, however I am thinking about picking up a Beyer T5P sometime in the future. I hear mostly good things with the pairing and the thought of rolling some tubes and the LISST intrigues me quite a bit. Appears I get the best of both world's really with a Lyr purchase getting that tube goodness and a bit of SS sound as well.

Lyr2 should drive HE-500 well, only heard the HE-500 on my friends system and it was really nice, but like my HE-400, too heavy after a while.
Never heard the T5P so I don't know how the Lyr2 will pair with it.

Got to hear the LISST SS tubes in a Mjolnir2, didn't impress me much, it lost the tube character to me, but if you are looking for neutral then they work well.

May 14, 2016 at 2:55 PM Post #1,639 of 2,168
  Lyr2 should drive HE-500 well, only heard the HE-500 on my friends system and it was really nice, but like my HE-400, too heavy after a while.
Never heard the T5P so I don't know how the Lyr2 will pair with it.

Got to hear the LISST SS tubes in a Mjolnir2, didn't impress me much, it lost the tube character to me, but if you are looking for neutral then they work well.

The weight does take some time getting used too! But, I just love the sound.

Looks like I'll be making a purchase soon! I appreciate the responses David.
dt880smile.png

Jun 2, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #1,640 of 2,168
  Will these drive the HE6?

No doubt about it. There are 2 output levels selectable with a toggle switch. Use low for sensitive headphones and high for hard to drive models. The high output drives my HD650s to insane volumes. The low level output is perfect for pre-amp out to my speaker amp.

Before purchasing the Lyr 2 with Bifrost multibit, I was disappointed in the Sennheiser 'phones. They sounded too polite. Oppo BDP105's headphone jack just couldn't move me. Same goes for the 'phone jack on the Marantz AV8003 and Dragonfly USB DAC/amp.

I now see how these cans managed to remain a major contender for so long. I had almost quit listening through headphones entirely, but after reading what others were saying about this Schiit stack, I had to hear it. I'm moving now. Problem is, I'm not getting much work done because I cannot seem to concentrate on my work. The music is demanding my full attention. 

Jun 3, 2016 at 9:29 AM Post #1,641 of 2,168
The low gain on Lyr 2 is quite enough for HD600 and HD650 in my opinion. I usually have vol pot at 12 to 1 o'clock with my 600's. The LCD-2's need slightly less. (I have my computer/soundcard volume maxed.)

Actually I don't have a pair that needs the high gain setting... Do you guys use it?

EDIT: Lyr 2 drives all my hp's very well. I used to use my Apogee Duet's hp-out, but now it functions only as a DAC. The Audezes got more room / SS to their sound, maybe resolution too. 600's got some more low-bass, but just maybe. The differences from the thunderbolt-powered Duet aren't huge, but I guess they are there.

I also bought the LISST's. They are ever so slightly brighter than the stock tubes. I happily listen with either.

Jun 3, 2016 at 5:34 PM Post #1,642 of 2,168
  The low gain on Lyr 2 is quite enough for HD600 and HD650 in my opinion. I usually have vol pot at 12 to 1 o'clock with my 600's. The LCD-2's need slightly less. (I have my computer/soundcard volume maxed.)

Actually I don't have a pair that needs the high gain setting... Do you guys use it?

EDIT: Lyr 2 drives all my hp's very well. I used to use my Apogee Duet's hp-out, but now it functions only as a DAC. The Audezes got more room / SS to their sound, maybe resolution too. 600's got some more low-bass, but just maybe. The differences from the thunderbolt-powered Duet aren't huge, but I guess they are there.

I also bought the LISST's. They are ever so slightly brighter than the stock tubes. I happily listen with either.

Have you gotten any other tubes to roll?  I tried the LISST tubes, agree they were brighter but also less full sounding in the lows.  The most power hungry headphone I have are HE-560, with the Lyr2 in high gain I'm at 1-1:30, currently using Siemens Lorenz, will change tubes soon as these have been used for the last month, I like to rotate my tubes about once a month just to have a different sound signature.

Jun 3, 2016 at 6:46 PM Post #1,643 of 2,168
  Have you gotten any other tubes to roll?  I tried the LISST tubes, agree they were brighter but also less full sounding in the lows.  The most power hungry headphone I have are HE-560, with the Lyr2 in high gain I'm at 1-1:30, currently using Siemens Lorenz, will change tubes soon as these have been used for the last month, I like to rotate my tubes about once a month just to have a different sound signature.

I didn't get the new tubes. My only tubes are the stocks and the LISST's. 

Jun 3, 2016 at 6:56 PM Post #1,644 of 2,168

I didn't get the new tubes. My only tubes are the stocks and the LISST's. 

If you ever decide to start rolling tubes I would suggest getting some socket savers, makes removing and installing tubes much easier.

These are one of the better socket savers that I've found: http://www.tubemonger.com/

They also have the benefit of offering a little better cooling

Jun 6, 2016 at 6:40 AM Post #1,648 of 2,168
Thank you for your reply. Before I get knee deep in schiit, does anyone think lyr2 is overkill for q791/k7xx?

Nope.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back