NEW Schiit Lyr 2: Impressions
Dec 17, 2015 at 9:56 PM Post #1,471 of 2,168
For those headphones, there probably is not a specific reason for you to get a Lyr2, as the Lyr1 works fine with those. (The Valhalla also would work with those headphones as well, since they are high impedance designs. )

Dec 18, 2015 at 1:29 PM Post #1,473 of 2,168
  since valhalla 2 and lyr are about the same price.
what reason would i choose one over the other.

The Lyr 2 gives you the options of a hybrid tube/SS setup or you can go full SS with LISST "tubes."

EDIT: Read that as "Lyr 2" and not "Lyr."  I'm not sure if the LISST tubes are compatible with the original Lyr???

Dec 18, 2015 at 11:26 PM Post #1,476 of 2,168
Dec 20, 2015 at 12:05 AM Post #1,477 of 2,168
Just got my new Mjolnir 2 hooked up today and it sounds great.

But...it doesn't mute the pre-amp outs when you put in a headphone like the Lyr 2 does.

Crap.

If it was just me that used the system, I wouldn't care that much (I'd just power off the speakers), but my wife uses that particular workstation set up, too.  Any complications for her are just tech support problems for me.

I might have to send the MJ2 back and exchange it for a Lyr 2...

Jan 2, 2016 at 1:34 PM Post #1,479 of 2,168
Received a Lyr 2 today!

Tested with OPPO BDP-105 as DAC. Compared to internal OPPO headamp. Stock tubes, no break-in. Ultrasone Signature Pro headphones.

My thoughts from careful A/Bing:

-Bass carries more weight (Noted on Emilie Autumn's "Goodnight, Sweet Ladies")
-Mids have more "sparkle"
-Airy soundscape, clear separation on heavy, complex sequences (Nightwish's "Planet Hell")
-Low noise floor, no hiss at full volume

Volume on Lyr at 11 o'clock comparable to OPPO internal volume at 70 (out of 100). Any louder than 12 on the Lyr hurts my ears. I can pump the OPPO to 90 before it hurts. Lyr 2 is powerful but we all knew that.

I tried the Lyr 2 with the internal Macbook headphone output. Actually sounds great, though noticeably darker and muddier than the OPPO output.

Now, I shall let this baby burn in and see what comes of it. Love it so far.

Jan 4, 2016 at 3:34 PM Post #1,480 of 2,168
I've sinced retired my BDP-105 and have been using the Lyr 2 with a Wyrd/Modi Schtack.

It's certainly more harsh, almost a live feel. More "fun" than the BDP-105. Forward. Like a party in my ears.

Jan 5, 2016 at 2:57 PM Post #1,481 of 2,168
Just a quick update on PC and Siemens ecc88 tubes on LYR2 amp.
Just my personal observations and I am not sure how many of you upgraded the original PC in your lyr2 but this is IT!
This PC is here to stay and it is Furutech FP-Alpha-3 with Furutech F11-gold plugs, this is the best I have ever heard from Lyr2 amp.
Sound stage went way back and separated instruments and more body to the music compare to FP-314Ag ,very nice!
ECC 88 Siemens are in the LYR 2 at this moment got them yesterday and so far so good, very balanced tubes with sweet top and full mids.
Will post some more later.

Jan 8, 2016 at 11:17 AM Post #1,482 of 2,168
I have two Bugle Boys that are the same model (12AT7, Holland D-Getter), but they have different graphics so I assume they are from different years even though they look the same inside. Is it safe to use them together in my Schitt Lyr 2? Thanks!

Jan 8, 2016 at 11:26 AM Post #1,483 of 2,168
I have two Bugle Boys that are the same model (12AT7, Holland D-Getter), but they have different graphics so I assume they are from different years even though they look the same inside. Is it safe to use them together in my Schitt Lyr 2? Thanks!

The Lyr does not use 12at7 tubes. It uses the 6dj8 family of tubes. I would think it is not safe. No.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back