NEW Schiit Lyr 2: Impressions
Dec 5, 2015 at 10:15 PM Post #1,441 of 2,168
Having now caught up on this entire thread, I now feel well-informed enough to purchase a Lyr 2.

Except now I think what I really want is the Mjolnir 2.....:basshead:

If you have some headphones that use a XLR jack then get a MJOLNIR 2, if all your headphones are SE then go for the Lyr2.

Dec 6, 2015 at 12:02 AM Post #1,442 of 2,168
If you have some headphones that use a XLR jack then get a MJOLNIR 2, if all your headphones are SE then go for the Lyr2.

It's actually not quite as simple as that...my monitor speakers also use XLR.

Dec 6, 2015 at 12:27 AM Post #1,444 of 2,168
Hmm I think I have been watching the Blues Brothers to much. Because I have this crazy inspired idea, would any one be interested in attending a head-fi meet on a cruise ship, say to Cuba and other Caribbean locations. I wonder what tubes can be found in Cuba. If people are interested, perhaps I can look into the details.

Dec 6, 2015 at 1:57 AM Post #1,445 of 2,168
Sure it is, you can use RCA to XLR cables with your speakers at the same quality as native balanced. Most studio monitors don't contain differential amps anyways so single ended is as good as it gets.

Sure, but that's missing out on the noise rejection benefits of running balanced cables.  And it's not like the price spread between the Lyr 2 and Mjolnir 2 is all that huge.

Dec 6, 2015 at 1:58 AM Post #1,446 of 2,168
Hmm I think I have been watching the Blues Brothers to much. Because I have this crazy inspired idea, would any one be interested in attending a head-fi meet on a cruise ship, say to Cuba and other Caribbean locations. I wonder what tubes can be found in Cuba. If people are interested, perhaps I can look into the details.

My wife would never go for that. 
ph34r.gif

Dec 6, 2015 at 5:12 AM Post #1,448 of 2,168

This isn't live sound, the difference is not even measurable unless you put an antenna right on top of the signal cables.

I'm a volunteer recording engineer assistant for a local symphony. I have a mixing setup at home where I have projects that I have to work on.  And my wifi router is on the same desk as my DAW, not to mention NAS drives and the computer itself. It's better safe than sorry and I'd feel ashamed if some unaccounted for RFI got into the mix that others are relying on me for.  So far, I've had good luck using XLR (plus I already have the cables) and I don't see a reason to change a known good practice in my environment.

Dec 6, 2015 at 4:53 PM Post #1,449 of 2,168
Jus remember that for best quality of balanced signals, you need to have it through the entire system. For this case, to take advantage of balanced/XLR, it will work best with a balanced DAC.

Dec 6, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #1,450 of 2,168
  Jus remember that for best quality of balanced signals, you need to have it through the entire system. For this case, to take advantage of balanced/XLR, it will work best with a balanced DAC.

Of course. The aged-but-still-going-strong-and-kind-of-ugly Benchmark DAC 1 I use right now has balanced outs.  Anything I eventually replace it with will also need them.

Dec 6, 2015 at 6:33 PM Post #1,452 of 2,168
  Still, it gets you to where you need to be with balanced inputs. I have a Gungnir, but I use only the SE inputs with it right now, and very happy with it so far.

I think the DAC 1 is still a reasonably solid DAC and does fine driving active monitors, too, but the headphone amp inside is pretty 'meh'.  But to truly upgrade, I'd need to move to something like a Mjolnir + Gungnir combo, and even then I'm not sure how much better the Gungnir is than the DAC 1. My guess is that it's a bit better, but not hugely so.

Dec 6, 2015 at 6:51 PM Post #1,453 of 2,168

I think the DAC 1 is still a reasonably solid DAC and does fine driving active monitors, too, but the headphone amp inside is pretty 'meh'.  But to truly upgrade, I'd need to move to something like a Mjolnir + Gungnir combo, and even then I'm not sure how much better the Gungnir is than the DAC 1. My guess is that it's a bit better, but not hugely so.

Alas, I've not herd the DAC1 in person so I cannot give you a personal opinion. But I know for years it was considered a top notch DAC.

Take your time, and enjoy each piece you add on your audio journey. :)

Dec 6, 2015 at 6:57 PM Post #1,454 of 2,168
  Alas, I've not herd the DAC1 in person so I cannot give you a personal opinion. But I know for years it was considered a top notch DAC.

Take your time, and enjoy each piece you add on your audio journey. :)

When / if they add USB Gen 3 to the Gungnir (which I believe just involves replacing the C-Media 6631A with the 6632 from the Yggy), then I'll know it's time to pull the trigger.
wink_face.gif

Dec 6, 2015 at 6:59 PM Post #1,455 of 2,168
  Hi there,
I had original Lyr and driving HD600 with it,It was nice match but at that time I also had Decware CSP 2+ and that was allrrady better then original Lyr.
I have LYR2 in my collection at this time and driving the HE-560 and from what I have remember about lyr the LYR 2 would be a nice upgrade for you.
Top end is much more refined over the original lyr and quite more air and separation of instruments.I have bugle boys tube with large round halo getter in it at this moment and I am very happy with it!
What headphones you use the most???
Cheers
I have Lyre​

I either listen to my Beyer T-1's or Sennheiser HD800's, Occasionally I will grab my HD650's as well, but usually one of the first two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back