NEW Schiit Lyr 2: Impressions
Jun 4, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #1,201 of 2,168
Anyone experience a particular amp aggravating tinnitus? The last 2 times I've used my Lyr it has aggravated mine. Both times it hadn't been bothering me for at least a week and within the first 60sec of listening through my Lyr it was back with a vengeance. Still bothering me days later. 

Check your SPL. Likely you are listening at too high a volume for too much time. No amp has magic properties causing your ears to ring. I would be concerned about hearing damage- use caution. If you have an iphone you can buy a db meter app.
Put the mic in the ear cup and seal it tightly to mimic the seal over your ear.

Jun 6, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #1,202 of 2,168
  Anyone experience a particular amp aggravating tinnitus? The last 2 times I've used my Lyr it has aggravated mine. Both times it hadn't been bothering me for at least a week and within the first 60sec of listening through my Lyr it was back with a vengeance. Still bothering me days later. 

Yeup that's pretty much what happens to me when I use my hifiman 560s.  I can't use them with high gain and with low gain they sound muddy.  It last about 2 days for me though not a week.

The 560s gave my left ear a terrible ache everytime i listed for 10 minutes. Returned them in a week. My left ear has had problems over the years and is super sensitive to treble. Have the lcd-x's now which some call bright for audeze and i only have problems at really loud volumes or certain recordings. i had to eq the **** out of the he-560s to tone down treble and still had the issue. Dont have to for lcd-x. When you say tinnitus, do u mean ringing or an ear ache?

Jun 6, 2015 at 12:42 PM Post #1,203 of 2,168
My Lyr 2 had been resurrected with Audio-gd DAC-19. Even pairing with HD-800 is now very good to my ears. I didn't realise that a DAC will have a significant impact to the overall SQ. To those having problem with bright cans, try a R2R DAC and maybe a NOS one.

Jun 6, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #1,204 of 2,168
The 560s gave my left ear a terrible ache everytime i listed for 10 minutes. Returned them in a week. My left ear has had problems over the years and is super sensitive to treble. Have the lcd-x's now which some call bright for audeze and i only have problems at really loud volumes or certain recordings. i had to eq the **** out of the he-560s to tone down treble and still had the issue. Dont have to for lcd-x. When you say tinnitus, do u mean ringing or an ear ache?

ringing can often be a sign of listening at too loud volumes. please be careful! can get hearing loss

Jun 6, 2015 at 3:32 PM Post #1,205 of 2,168
ringing can often be a sign of listening at too loud volumes. please be careful! can get hearing loss

High volumes and hi treble frequencies. Your ears are telling you to turn it Down. Plenty of info online on safe levels and listening times.
Ignore at your peril. Buy a Db meter app for your phone. Seal the mic against your ear cup

Jun 7, 2015 at 10:33 PM Post #1,206 of 2,168

I had some strange event where I was eating lunch and all of a sudden it felt like the air in the room super compressed instantly. I expected to turn around and see the building behind me had collapsed or something. Lost all hearing for a few sec then just heard a loud rushing sound for a few more. Like a grenade went off next to me. Ringing started the next day and it's been with me for about 6 weeks. I went to the audiologist, ENT and general physician. My hearing is fine with a slight dip around 10k. I'm told I should be thankful as some people who experience what I did sometimes go completely deaf instantly. Something to do with my eustachian tubes. Anyway, the ringing had faded to the point of not really bothering me, but both times I've used my amp since then the ringing has come back with a vengeance within 60sec. Turned it off right away. Listening on my office rig, from my phone or using my wireless Sens doesn't affect it at all. As far as I can tell volume isn't the issue, but who knows. I'm generally not one to crank the volume. Might be related, but my custom iems have started making my right ear ache, but the ringing is much louder in my left ear. It's infuriating.

Jun 7, 2015 at 11:24 PM Post #1,207 of 2,168
Wow, have never heard of that before, what was/is the diagnosis?

Jun 8, 2015 at 12:16 AM Post #1,208 of 2,168
@mrip541, not sure how long you've been dealing with that, but you should strongly consider giving your ears an extended break from all headphone listening.

sounds like they might be saying ETD which means that your ears will be pretty sensitive to pressure changes. allergy season/cold/flu/scuba diving/airplane flying can exacerbate the problem.

please be careful and follow your doctor's advice as you can get permanent hearing loss. hope you feel better soon!

Jun 8, 2015 at 10:58 AM Post #1,209 of 2,168
  @mrip541, not sure how long you've been dealing with that, but you should strongly consider giving your ears an extended break from all headphone listening.

sounds like they might be saying ETD which means that your ears will be pretty sensitive to pressure changes. allergy season/cold/flu/scuba diving/airplane flying can exacerbate the problem.

please be careful and follow your doctor's advice as you can get permanent hearing loss. hope you feel better soon!

Hey thanks. Extended break for sure. I even put all my gear back in the boxes. I'm told I have another 4-5 months before we're into permanent tinnitus territory.

Jun 8, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #1,210 of 2,168
So, after many hours trying to figure out if it was the lyr 2 causing the Hifiman 560 issue, I found a fix that works well for me.  I did talk to Schiit tech support and they were happy to service my lyr if It was causing the issue.  The Fix:  First, got a pair of focus-a pads, yes $40 bucks but I was on the verge of selling them because they were so painful so why not.  This definetly helped tame some of the pain.. but, couldnt listen for over 20 minutes.  Got really frustrated, decieded to listen to my alpha dogs.  I'm selling my alpha dogs and was doing one last listen before boxing them up.  I came accross the doggy treats that come with the alpha dogs.  "What let me try them on the 560s"....... Wow!  Finally get to hear what everyone is talking about.  They really came alive without any pain even after extended listening! 

TLDR: Had ear pain with lyr 2 & Hifiman 560.  Used Focus-a pads and Mr. Speaker Doggy treats to fix them.  

Jun 8, 2015 at 10:31 PM Post #1,211 of 2,168
Hey thanks. Extended break for sure. I even put all my gear back in the boxes. I'm told I have another 4-5 months before we're into permanent tinnitus territory.

This is all pretty horrifying. :/
Not to go too far off topic here but, it's worth discussing... Do any of you see an ENT doc regularly? i mean, is this sorta thing preventable with regular checkups and hearing tests? I'm 34 years old, I spent most of my 20s going to loud indie rock shows... I've slowed down considerably in my "old age" but now I've got this damned (I say that jokingly:wink: headphone hobbie. I've got planer magnetics, CIEMs, plain ol' dynamics... I listen to them all, well amped, and at decent volumes...

I really hope your ears bounce back, dude. Scary stuff.

Jun 8, 2015 at 10:40 PM Post #1,212 of 2,168
Im told this had nothing to do with my listening habits. Just a random virus probably related to a cold i had at the time. I supposedly messed up my inner ear pressure while chewing with blocked tubes. Didnt have any visible ear infection, wax, etc. Just totally random. Cant remember the exact words but that's basically it.

This is all pretty horrifying. :/
Not to go too far off topic here but, it's worth discussing... Do any of you see an ENT doc regularly? i mean, is this sorta thing preventable with regular checkups and hearing tests? I'm 34 years old, I spent most of my 20s going to loud indie rock shows... I've slowed down considerably in my "old age" but now I've got this damned (I say that jokingly:wink: headphone hobbie. I've got planer magnetics, CIEMs, plain ol' dynamics... I listen to them all, well amped, and at decent volumes...

I really hope your ears bounce back, dude. Scary stuff.

Jun 8, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #1,213 of 2,168
Im told this had nothing to do with my listening habits. Just a random virus probably related to a cold i had at the time. I supposedly messed up my inner ear pressure while chewing with blocked tubes. Didnt have any visible ear infection, wax, etc. Just totally random. Cant remember the exact words but that's basically it.

That's even scarier!! :wink:

Jun 9, 2015 at 12:32 AM Post #1,214 of 2,168
This is OT I know, but for people interested in learning more about eustachian tube dysfunction, here is a friendly link that is quite easy to understand: http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/blocked-eustachian-tubes-topic-overview

Jun 9, 2015 at 12:57 AM Post #1,215 of 2,168
High volumes and hi treble frequencies. Your ears are telling you to turn it Down. Plenty of info online on safe levels and listening times.
Ignore at your peril. Buy a Db meter app for your phone. Seal the mic against your ear cup

meter apps are limited because mics found in phones or conventional microphones for computers are limited typically to a 90dB SPL peak. A 130 dB SPL meter would work better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back