NEW Schiit Lyr 2: Impressions
May 22, 2015 at 10:49 AM Post #1,171 of 2,168

I am planning to give this amp about 100 hours with the stock tubes before I roll in the 74 Reflektors.  I am at about 50 hours right now.  It is a little hard to notice but I think the amp already sounds a little different. 

May 22, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #1,172 of 2,168

I am really excited about them.  He told me that they would be a great match for the Lyr2 and my HD 650s. Give them a go, everyone has been saying that these 70-75 Reflektors are about as good as it gets for the money when it comes to Russian tubes. I couldn't part with the $$ for the 75 HGs.

May 22, 2015 at 3:59 PM Post #1,174 of 2,168

Also, as for suggestions, as someone else already said, once people "discover" a particular tube that works well and post that recommendation, the price tends to shoot up rather suddenly. Therefore, the trick is to try a bunch of brands and types that other people haven't tried yet, and hope that you get to discover "a new one". 

And so my treasure hunt begins... 
biggrin.gif

I was debating which one to get between Asgard 2 and Lyr 2 myself but I liked the sound of Lyr 2 better.
(Also, the store was at the time did not have any Asgard in stock).
I do occasionally plug my HE-560's into my stereo amp (Marantz PM6005) and I must agree that I prefer the solid state for certain types of music.
Which headphones do you own?

May 22, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #1,175 of 2,168

Finally took a pic of this beauty.

I have the exact same Schiit stack as you and it's so dang good. 
beyersmile.png

My Lyr 2 stock tubes have about 200 hours on them now and I can definitely tell the difference from the beginning. 
Subtle, yet quite noticeable (that even make sense? lol).
The most noticeable difference after the burn in, for me, was the bass on my HE-560.
It's more refined and accurate now.
Before the bass notes had less definition, sounded more like a single note at times. 
Now I can tell every note being plucked on bass guitars.
Enjoy your stack and let us know when you roll the Reflektors!

May 22, 2015 at 4:49 PM Post #1,176 of 2,168

And so my treasure hunt begins... 
Just bought a pair of $25 Russian tubes. It had free shipping so I was like, "hell, why not".
Let's see how that turns out =)

I was debating which one to get between Asgard 2 and Lyr 2 myself but I liked the sound of Lyr 2 better.
(Also, the store was at the time did not have any Asgard in stock).
I do occasionally plug my HE-560's into my stereo amp (Marantz PM6005) and I must agree that I prefer the solid state for certain types of music.
Which headphones do you own?

At the moment, my best headphones are a pair of Koss ESP 950 electrostatics (which come with their own amplifier - which accepts line level inputs - so you don't use a separate headphone amplifier with them). I used to have a pair of HiFiMan HE-500's and a Schiit Mjolnir - which I sold. (The HiFiMans sounded just fine on the Asgard as well - and they are quite nice, although I found them a bit laid-back for my tastes.) I used to use headphones a lot when I lived in an apartment; now that I have a house I much prefer speakers. Other than that, I have a pair of Shure's, a pair of low end Sennheisers, three different pairs of mid-to-low-end AKG's, and one or two more that aren't worth mentioning at all.... I would honestly have to say that the ESP 950's are far and away the best sounding headphones I've ever owned. They're actually pretty comfortable, although they're sort of bulky and boxy, but the build quality is VERY plasticky and cheap feeling, especially considering the price, although, since they come with their own amp, you're saving some money there. (The ESP 950's are super-detailed - as you might expect from electrostatics - which also happens to be exactly what I prefer. I find all the AKG's I've ever listened to to be harsh to some degree, and not especially detailed; and I liked the sound of the Lyr with them.)

Since I work at Emotiva, we have lots of headphones laying around, and I can pretty well play with anything "in the collection" (although, at the moment, we don't have any really high-end Sennheisers or Beyerdynamics around). Our preamps, pre/pros, and DACs all have decent headphone sections, and we're just about to introduce a line of USB DACs with headphone outputs, so we have to see how they all work with a lot of different headphones.

The Asgard sounds nice to me with everything I've ever used it with, including the HiFiMans, although obviously some headphones seem to benefit from it more than others. I had a chance to play with a Lyr for a while (the "original" model), but I really thought it sounded very much too "tubey" for my tastes. I like amps to be "analytical" and uncolored, which the Asgard is; in contrast, the Lyr has a very distinctly "tubey" sound to it, which you either like or don't.

People here who haven't heard them both should make no mistake that they sound VERY different; the Asgard is quite neutral and the Lyr decidedly is not. And there is no possible combination of tubes you can roll to make the Lyr sound like the Asgard. (This makes perfect sense since virtually everyone is bound to like one or the other.)

May 22, 2015 at 5:28 PM Post #1,177 of 2,168

At the moment, my best headphones are a pair of Koss ESP 950 electrostatics (which come with their own amplifier - which accepts line level inputs - so you don't use a separate headphone amplifier with them). I used to have a pair of HiFiMan HE-500's and a Schiit Mjolnir - which I sold. (The HiFiMans sounded just fine on the Asgard as well - and they are quite nice, although I found them a bit laid-back for my tastes.) I used to use headphones a lot when I lived in an apartment; now that I have a house I much prefer speakers. Other than that, I have a pair of Shure's, a pair of low end Sennheisers, three different pairs of mid-to-low-end AKG's, and one or two more that aren't worth mentioning at all.... I would honestly have to say that the ESP 950's are far and away the best sounding headphones I've ever owned. They're actually pretty comfortable, although they're sort of bulky and boxy, but the build quality is VERY plasticky and cheap feeling, especially considering the price, although, since they come with their own amp, you're saving some money there. (The ESP 950's are super-detailed - as you might expect from electrostatics - which also happens to be exactly what I prefer. I find all the AKG's I've ever listened to to be harsh to some degree, and not especially detailed; and I liked the sound of the Lyr with them.)

Since I work at Emotiva, we have lots of headphones laying around, and I can pretty well play with anything "in the collection" (although, at the moment, we don't have any really high-end Sennheisers or Beyerdynamics around). Our preamps, pre/pros, and DACs all have decent headphone sections, and we're just about to introduce a line of USB DACs with headphone outputs, so we have to see how they all work with a lot of different headphones.

The Asgard sounds nice to me with everything I've ever used it with, including the HiFiMans, although obviously some headphones seem to benefit from it more than others. I had a chance to play with a Lyr for a while (the "original" model), but I really thought it sounded very much too "tubey" for my tastes. I like amps to be "analytical" and uncolored, which the Asgard is; in contrast, the Lyr has a very distinctly "tubey" sound to it, which you either like or don't.

People here who haven't heard them both should make no mistake that they sound VERY different; the Asgard is quite neutral and the Lyr decidedly is not. And there is no possible combination of tubes you can roll to make the Lyr sound like the Asgard. (This makes perfect sense since virtually everyone is bound to like one or the other.)

Yeah I don't exactly dislike analytical, neutral sound of many solid state amps.
In fact, as I mentioned earlier, I prefer it to the tube sound at times.
But generally, I find I enjoy classic rock recordings better with the "tubey" sound.
And Lyr 2 is giving me just that.

I went to Vancouver Audio Show couple weeks back and had a chance to listen to some electrostatic headphones and speakers.
Man, they are SO revealing. 
I feel like with those, if there was a fly buzzing around in the studio at the time of recording, you would hear it. 
Had a chance to hear the much praised Stax SR009.
The sound was unlike anything I have heard before (well I have never heard a pair of $5000 cans before).
So much detail. So much air and clarity without sounding thin.
The music really immerse around you. It was a truly euphoric experience.
It still haunts me but luckily I am not an avid classical fan so I can live without constantly agonizing over an unreachable dream. 

Another exhibitor had a pair of Martin Logan Neolith (MSRP at $100,000 CAD), hooked up with Mark Levison equipments.
And words can't really describe the beauty of this setup. So I won't even try.
But it's simply better than anything I've heard. Period. 

May 22, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #1,178 of 2,168

Yeah I don't exactly dislike analytical, neutral sound of many solid state amps.
In fact, as I mentioned earlier, I prefer it to the tube sound at times.
But generally, I find I enjoy classic rock recordings better with the "tubey" sound.
And Lyr 2 is giving me just that.

I went to Vancouver Audio Show couple weeks back and had a chance to listen to some electrostatic headphones and speakers.
Man, they are SO revealing. 
I feel like with those, if there was a fly buzzing around in the studio at the time of recording, you would hear it. 
Had a chance to hear the much praised Stax SR009.
The sound was unlike anything I have heard before (well I have never heard a pair of $5000 cans before).
So much detail. So much air and clarity without sounding thin.
The music really immerse around you. It was a truly euphoric experience.
It still haunts me but luckily I am not an avid classical fan so I can live without constantly agonizing over an unreachable dream. 

Another exhibitor had a pair of Martin Logan Neolith (MSRP at $100,000 CAD), hooked up with Mark Levison equipments.
And words can't really describe the beauty of this setup. So I won't even try.
But it's simply better than anything I've heard. Period. 

I'm not surprised. (And it almost feels like you could tell what kind of fly it was - and whether he's happy that day.
biggrin.gif
)

Well, if you can get past the not-so-impressive build quality, the Koss ESP 950's go for about $900 US (including the amp), which isn't all that much by modern headphone standards. I think a lot of what you heard has to do with the basic difference between how electrostatics work compared to other types, so you'll get quite a bit of that scary detail even on a "low priced set of electrostatics" like the ESP-950's. It might be worth your while to see if you can find a pair to listen to... (They're the only reasonably priced pair of electrostatics I'm familiar with, but I believe there are one or two others.)

May 22, 2015 at 11:58 PM Post #1,179 of 2,168

Hi Keith since you are weighing in a lot on the Lyr thread I'm curious since you said the Lyr was "very much too tubey for your tastes- and yet on the Emotiva forum you say the following 
" Some vendors also go beyond design results and deliberately exaggerate the "tubey-ness" of their products. The Schiit Lyr, and some of the Yaqin triode amps, come to mind." Can you clarify?
And to avoid confusion about my point-your knowledge of Amplifiers is welcome! And it's a WELCOME break from a certain individual who sings the "ALL AMPS are the SAME SONG" ALL the TIME. :) 

May 23, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #1,180 of 2,168

I have the exact same Schiit stack as you and it's so dang good. 
beyersmile.png

My Lyr 2 stock tubes have about 200 hours on them now and I can definitely tell the difference from the beginning. 
Subtle, yet quite noticeable (that even make sense? lol).
The most noticeable difference after the burn in, for me, was the bass on my HE-560.
It's more refined and accurate now.
Before the bass notes had less definition, sounded more like a single note at times. 
Now I can tell every note being plucked on bass guitars.
Enjoy your stack and let us know when you roll the Reflektors!

Yea it is.   It is really growing on me now and with about 55 hours on it I already notice a difference.  My O2/ODAC will probably be up for sale real soon.  LoL. Those Reflektors temp me everyday.

May 23, 2015 at 2:04 PM Post #1,181 of 2,168

Yea it is.   It is really growing on me now and with about 55 hours on it I already notice a difference.  My O2/ODAC will probably be up for sale real soon.  LoL. Those Reflektors temp me everyday.

I have the original Lyr-Bifrost combo and still find my O2-ODAC to be very good, particularly for the money relative to the Schitt gear. I use it for bedroom listening

May 26, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #1,183 of 2,168
  Hi Keith since you are weighing in a lot on the Lyr thread I'm curious since you said the Lyr was "very much too tubey for your tastes- and yet on the Emotiva forum you say the following 
" Some vendors also go beyond design results and deliberately exaggerate the "tubey-ness" of their products. The Schiit Lyr, and some of the Yaqin triode amps, come to mind." Can you clarify?
And to avoid confusion about my point-your knowledge of Amplifiers is welcome! And it's a WELCOME break from a certain individual who sings the "ALL AMPS are the SAME SONG" ALL the TIME. :) 

Let's start off with the fact that amplifiers are "simple two-dimensional devices". By that I mean that speakers, for example, have a very complex job. At a live concert you experience a wide variety of sounds, each being generated by a different type of mechanism. Vibrations from a piano string head off at right angles to the string, and bouncing off the cover, while sounds from a horn come out the front in a sort of fan pattern, and sound from a guitar comes partly from strings and partly from a vibrating box with a hole in it. In fact, no speaker has a chance in hell of reproducing all those sounds, each starting at the proper place, and each going in the proper direction. It all ricochets around the room and enters your ears a certain way; which is probably differently than it enters my differently shaped ears. So, in the end, it all becomes a guessing game about which factors there are important, and how we can do the best job of faking them, which may also be different between us, both due to differences in hearing, and due to what we consider important to each of us. In contrast, all an amplifier or recording has to do is to deliver a simple electrical voltage that varies a certain way over time. You really can describe that with a single measurement (and, for stereo, with two measurements). As far as the amplifier is concerned, there is NO SUCH THING as depth, or sound stage, or what have you. If both channels of electrical signal are exactly correct, then the result will be correct (as correct as the original recording is anyway). If two amplifiers have different sound stages, then this MUST be traceable directly back to the fact that the electrical signal they put out is different.

This has interesting implications, the biggest of which is that there is such a thing (at least theoretically) as a "perfect amplifier". And, following this to its logical conclusion, if you had more than one perfect amplifier they would be (and sound) EXACTLY THE SAME. Excluding differences in recordings and speakers, if both amplifier deliver the same identical perfect signal, then they will and must sound identical. This means that a perfect solid state amplifier, a perfect tube amplifier, and a perfect magic amplifier that runs on unicorn pee will all sound the same. Period. End. This is pure logic.

Therefore, logic tells us that, when certain amplifiers sound "very different", they must be producing a different electrical output. Now, in the early days of tubes, the goal of high fidelity was to eliminate all that variation and produce that one perfect output. And, if you had asked an early designer of either tube or solid state equipment their goal, they would have told you that both should sound totally clean and uncolored, and so BOTH SHOULD SOUND THE SAME. Let me rephrase that: If a tube amp and a solid state amp don't sound identical, then one or the other (or both) is flawed. When tube designs were current technology, the fact that minute differences between different brands, and even different batches, of tubes was quite well known. However, back then, there was no such idea as "tube rolling". In fact, it was the job of the tube designer to design circuits that were "good enough" that THEY SOUNDED EXACTLY THE SAME REGARDLESS OF WHICH BRAND OF TUBE YOU USED. The whole point of a good design was that it was immune to those minor and unavoidable variations - which were seen as flaws. (A vintner may see the tiny amounts of chemicals in different wines as significant; to someone who produces distilled water for lab applications they're all just flaws to be eliminated; hi-fi was "distilled water".)

Literally, if I had an amplifier fifty years ago that sounded noticeably different with different brands of tubes, the only question would have been whether the design of the amplifier was so bad that it was unable to compensate for those differences, or if we'd picked a tube type that was so inconsistent and unreliable that a poor tube choice was our mistake. The "obvious" goal was that a good design, with any equivalent "decent quality tube" in it, should sound exactly the same.

The idea that some people seem to have, for example, that "single ended triodes are magically accurate" is just plain silly. I can't rule out the possibility that there is some electrical characteristic of triodes that is magically wonderful, but I can easily prove that the measurable amounts of known audible distortions (like second harmonic) are so high in a single ended triode that, if there was some actual good thing about them, it WOULD be a miracle if it could be heard above all the extra (and easily measurable) coloration and distortion. (While I suppose it's possible that some people somehow fail to be annoyed by 5% THD, but are sensitive to minute amounts of some so-far-unmeasured other type of distortion, I tend to suspect that they simply like the way 5% THD sounds...)

I've heard a few on those Yagin triode amps and, without getting into the endless debate about "whether they sound better", it's pretty obvious that they sound VERY different from a relatively uncolored solid state design (or even a relatively uncolored tube design). You can claim that the engineers at Yaqin, rather than choose parts and circuit designs to minimize the coloration, have instead chosen them to maximize it, or you can just assume they're incompetent, but the fact remains that their products have a LOT of coloration. (It is actually somewhat complicated to make the correct design choices to minimize the colorations involved, so it could simply be lack of technical ability, or unwillingness to buy better parts - but I personally suspect it's deliberate.)

Now, in the case of Schiit audio, and the Lyr, the guys (and gals) over at Schiit Audio are quite competent, so I don't for a minute think anything they've done was accidental. They designed the Lyr to sound different from solid state units like the Asgard and the Mjolnir. Furthermore, they haven't done their best to design the Lyr to be immune to the slight variations between tubes. They know that people enjoy tube rolling, so it would be foolish for them to try and make a design that it didn't work with - right? Rather, they've made sure to use a design that WILL sound different when you use it with different tubes, by NOT incorporating circuit and design elements that would tend to render those differences inaudible. (This includes using certain types of circuits, avoiding others, and using certain types of parts in certain locations. Nobody at Schiit Audio would ever say: "We did our best to make the Lyr sound just like the Asgard, and this is the best we could do.") The Lyr uses a MOSFET output stage (solid state); it would be trivial to use one more solid state stage to deliver all the gain they need; instead they've gone to the extra effort to use a tube in that role, and the only legitimate reason for doing so is "because it sounds different" (since the output stage is solid state, they haven't "avoided solid state because there's something bad about it".)

With the current availability of parts, tubes are (at least slightly) more difficult to use than transistors so, to put it bluntly, if a tube amplifier sounded exactly the same as a solid-state equivalent, and nobody could tell them apart, then you'd have to be an idiot to use tubes, since the tube design would cost more to build, cost more to purchase, and be less reliable in the end as well. The ONLY reason people buy tubes is because they LIKE the differences in how they sound. 

To my ears, the Lyr sounds VERY different from solid state units like their Asgard (which, to me, sounds quite similar to other uncolored solid-state equivalent units).
(I've never measured one, and probably never will; since I'm not trying to replicate the differences I have little motivation to specifically understand what they are.)

May 29, 2015 at 12:15 AM Post #1,184 of 2,168
Let's start off with the fact that amplifiers are "simple two-dimensional devices". By that I mean that speakers, for example, have a very complex job. At a live concert you experience a wide variety of sounds, each being generated by a different type of mechanism. Vibrations from a piano string head off at right angles to the string, and bouncing off the cover, while sounds from a horn come out the front in a sort of fan pattern, and sound from a guitar comes partly from strings and partly from a vibrating box with a hole in it. In fact, no speaker has a chance in hell of reproducing all those sounds, each starting at the proper place, and each going in the proper direction. It all ricochets around the room and enters your ears a certain way; which is probably differently than it enters my differently shaped ears. So, in the end, it all becomes a guessing game about which factors there are important, and how we can do the best job of faking them, which may also be different between us, both due to differences in hearing, and due to what we consider important to each of us. In contrast, all an amplifier or recording has to do is to deliver a simple electrical voltage that varies a certain way over time. You really can describe that with a single measurement (and, for stereo, with two measurements). As far as the amplifier is concerned, there is NO SUCH THING as depth, or sound stage, or what have you. If both channels of electrical signal are exactly correct, then the result will be correct (as correct as the original recording is anyway). If two amplifiers have different sound stages, then this MUST be traceable directly back to the fact that the electrical signal they put out is different.

This has interesting implications, the biggest of which is that there is such a thing (at least theoretically) as a "perfect amplifier". And, following this to its logical conclusion, if you had more than one perfect amplifier they would be (and sound) EXACTLY THE SAME. Excluding differences in recordings and speakers, if both amplifier deliver the same identical perfect signal, then they will and must sound identical. This means that a perfect solid state amplifier, a perfect tube amplifier, and a perfect magic amplifier that runs on unicorn pee will all sound the same. Period. End. This is pure logic.

Therefore, logic tells us that, when certain amplifiers sound "very different", they must be producing a different electrical output. Now, in the early days of tubes, the goal of high fidelity was to eliminate all that variation and produce that one perfect output. And, if you had asked an early designer of either tube or solid state equipment their goal, they would have told you that both should sound totally clean and uncolored, and so BOTH SHOULD SOUND THE SAME. Let me rephrase that: If a tube amp and a solid state amp don't sound identical, then one or the other (or both) is flawed. When tube designs were current technology, the fact that minute differences between different brands, and even different batches, of tubes was quite well known. However, back then, there was no such idea as "tube rolling". In fact, it was the job of the tube designer to design circuits that were "good enough" that THEY SOUNDED EXACTLY THE SAME REGARDLESS OF WHICH BRAND OF TUBE YOU USED. The whole point of a good design was that it was immune to those minor and unavoidable variations - which were seen as flaws. (A vintner may see the tiny amounts of chemicals in different wines as significant; to someone who produces distilled water for lab applications they're all just flaws to be eliminated; hi-fi was "distilled water".)

Literally, if I had an amplifier fifty years ago that sounded noticeably different with different brands of tubes, the only question would have been whether the design of the amplifier was so bad that it was unable to compensate for those differences, or if we'd picked a tube type that was so inconsistent and unreliable that a poor tube choice was our mistake. The "obvious" goal was that a good design, with any equivalent "decent quality tube" in it, should sound exactly the same.

The idea that some people seem to have, for example, that "single ended triodes are magically accurate" is just plain silly. I can't rule out the possibility that there is some electrical characteristic of triodes that is magically wonderful, but I can easily prove that the measurable amounts of known audible distortions (like second harmonic) are so high in a single ended triode that, if there was some actual good thing about them, it WOULD be a miracle if it could be heard above all the extra (and easily measurable) coloration and distortion. (While I suppose it's possible that some people somehow fail to be annoyed by 5% THD, but are sensitive to minute amounts of some so-far-unmeasured other type of distortion, I tend to suspect that they simply like the way 5% THD sounds...)

I've heard a few on those Yagin triode amps and, without getting into the endless debate about "whether they sound better", it's pretty obvious that they sound VERY different from a relatively uncolored solid state design (or even a relatively uncolored tube design). You can claim that the engineers at Yaqin, rather than choose parts and circuit designs to minimize the coloration, have instead chosen them to maximize it, or you can just assume they're incompetent, but the fact remains that their products have a LOT of coloration. (It is actually somewhat complicated to make the correct design choices to minimize the colorations involved, so it could simply be lack of technical ability, or unwillingness to buy better parts - but I personally suspect it's deliberate.)

Now, in the case of Schiit audio, and the Lyr, the guys (and gals) over at Schiit Audio are quite competent, so I don't for a minute think anything they've done was accidental. They designed the Lyr to sound different from solid state units like the Asgard and the Mjolnir. Furthermore, they haven't done their best to design the Lyr to be immune to the slight variations between tubes. They know that people enjoy tube rolling, so it would be foolish for them to try and make a design that it didn't work with - right? Rather, they've made sure to use a design that WILL sound different when you use it with different tubes, by NOT incorporating circuit and design elements that would tend to render those differences inaudible. (This includes using certain types of circuits, avoiding others, and using certain types of parts in certain locations. Nobody at Schiit Audio would ever say: "We did our best to make the Lyr sound just like the Asgard, and this is the best we could do.") The Lyr uses a MOSFET output stage (solid state); it would be trivial to use one more solid state stage to deliver all the gain they need; instead they've gone to the extra effort to use a tube in that role, and the only legitimate reason for doing so is "because it sounds different" (since the output stage is solid state, they haven't "avoided solid state because there's something bad about it".)

With the current availability of parts, tubes are (at least slightly) more difficult to use than transistors so, to put it bluntly, if a tube amplifier sounded exactly the same as a solid-state equivalent, and nobody could tell them apart, then you'd have to be an idiot to use tubes, since the tube design would cost more to build, cost more to purchase, and be less reliable in the end as well. The ONLY reason people buy tubes is because they LIKE the differences in how they sound. 

To my ears, the Lyr sounds VERY different from solid state units like their Asgard (which, to me, sounds quite similar to other uncolored solid-state equivalent units).
(I've never measured one, and probably never will; since I'm not trying to replicate the differences I have little motivation to specifically understand what they are.)

So you say all your Emotiva amps sound the same and likely the same as the Asgard. And Emotiva tube amps sound the same with a new JJ tube as any other tube.

May 29, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #1,185 of 2,168
So you say all your Emotiva amps sound the same and likely the same as the Asgard. And Emotiva tube amps sound the same with a new JJ tube as any other tube.

Errrr..... sort of.

At the moment we don't make any separate headphone amps, but several of our DACs and preamps have pretty good headphone amps in them. And, yes, WITHIN THEIR PERFORMANCE LIMITS they do all sound very much the same, and they all sound pretty much like an Asgard. All of our headphone sections run on a +/- 12 V power supply, so I believe the Asgard can deliver more maximum voltage if called upon to do so; the Asgard can also deliver more current than many of our headphone sections, and so more wattage. However, that extra voltage only really matters with very high impedance phones that are also somewhat low in efficiency; and the extra current only matters with ones like low efficiency planars. In simplest terms, the Asgard is a more POWERFUL amplifier than the headphone amps in most of our equipment. So, with the few headphones that need that extra power to reach proper listening levels without distorting, it will sound different. However, within those limits, since both the Asgard and our amps are designed to sound "neutral", and have low output impedances (which prevents them from interacting very much with the headphones you attach to them, they do indeed sound very much the same. (Every design is slightly different, with different power supply and amplifier design specs, which result in different distortion spectra and such, which is why they do sound a tiny bit different - and I'm NOT a firm believer in "all amplifiers sounding exactly the same" - but they will be VERY close.....) Incidentally, in case you were wondering, I currently only own two or three dedicated headphone amps personally - and one of them is an Asgard.

The electrical specifications for each tube number are defined (actually the originating manufacturer sets them), and anybody else making a tube claiming to be a tube - say "an EL34" - SHOULD do their best to meet the specs for that tube type. In reality, since each tube manufacturer physically constructs their tubes a tiny bit differently, there is some variation between manufacturers, and even between batches - and even between individual tubes. Some manufacturers also deliberately "voice" their tubes to sound different (which they can do by deliberately setting certain parameters to NOT match what the standard says they should be). Therefore, while a Shugang EL34 is SUPPOSED TO BE electrically the same as a JJ EL34 (otherwise it isn't really an EL34), it is probably slightly different.

In general, tube amplifier design hasn't changed much in about 75 years (other than fancier bias circuits). Our amps use "standard push pull" designs, with moderate feedback, good quality parts, and nothing that I would classify as "unusual". However, the designs we use do expect the tubes YOU use to actually have the electrical characteristics that the standard for their type number says they should. So (and I do apologize if it sounds like I'm hedging), as long as the tubes you use are reasonably close to the spec for the tube type that is called out, I wouldn't expect a major difference in sound. (Our circuitry is designed to be "tolerant" of variations in tubes, and to deliver its specified performance with any tube that meets spec, but designing circuitry to be totally immune to major off-spec variations is very difficult, and would raise the cost too high for our market, so I can't promise that certain tubes, which have electrical characteristics that are very far from the norm, won't sound a little bit different. However, compared to other brands, and especially to amps designed specifically to have an exaggerated sensitivity to tube parameters, I would expect the differences in how our amplifier would sound with different brands of tubes to be relatively small.) 

You should also note that, lately, some of the variation in tube specs involves maximum rated operating voltage, with some brands apparently NOT being rated to operate at the full voltage as spelled out in the type spec. So, if you were to substitute a power tube in one of our amplifiers, you should check very carefully to make sure you aren't trying to use one that isn't rated for the required voltage. (As long as the tube you use is rated for the same, or preferably higher, operating voltage than your amplifier uses, you're fine. However, for example, if you put a tube rated for 800V in an amp that uses 900V, it will have a very much shortened life span, and may simply fail immediately.... which may also damage the amp - and void your warranties.)

You, and a lot of modern audiophiles, need to understand that the whole concept of "tubes having a distinct sound" - as a significant thing -  is a relatively new one. When tubes were current technology, it was intended that the various tube "type numbers" would be interchangeable. While certain manufacturers might have touted their particular tubes as having slightly lower noise, or slightly better bandwidth, or a better life expectancy, tubes were INTENDED to be equal and interchangeable. "Good" circuit designs were designed such that they would work identically with every commonly available brand of tube, and any brand of tube that sounded - or measured - significantly different in too many designs would have been considered to be "wrong" - and would simply be considered to be defective in design or manufacture. If, for example, you wanted to design "a new 12AX7 that sounds quieter", you were expected to give it a new and different designation, which included your new and different electrical parameters. It may have been better than a 12AX7, but, for that very reason, IT WAS NO LONGER A 12AX7. The whole current concept of super-expensive "premium" tubes would have been laughed at back then. An RCA 12AX7 cost about $2; a "premium" Telefunken one cost $2.50; Telefunken claimed that their tube would last longer, was more consistent in terms of electrical characteristics, and perhaps was a few percent quieter. Some customers believed the marketing brochures enough to pay the extra $.50 while others didn't. And, if you walked in and asked for "a 12AX7", unless you specified which one you wanted, you got whatever brand they happened to have in stock.

While there were folks who felt that a certain brand of tube sounded better in a particular piece of gear, it was considered to be like cars and gasoline. (You might find that your particular car runs a little better on a particular brand of gas, you might be willing to believe that their formula was a little better for your car than someone else's, and you might even be willing to pay a few cents per gallon extra for that brand, and lots of folks bought $5 a gallon "av-gas" for high performance racing cars, but you would laugh if someone were to suggest that putting "premium $50 a gallon gas" in your Toyota would somehow "transform its performance".)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back