NEW Schiit Lyr 2: Impressions
May 8, 2015 at 1:40 AM Post #1,126 of 2,168

Just a general Lyr 2 question:
This thing seems to get scorching hot.
I mean like HOT. Even the volume knob feels like a heated pot with boiling water. 
Is this normal?
Scared of stacking it on top of BitFrost due to the heat it emits.

yes, hot is good.  keeps you from holding onto the volume knob constantly and getting blisters.

feel free to stack on top of BiFrost, or Gungnir.  they are huge aluminum heat sinks.
damage will not occur.

May 8, 2015 at 1:49 AM Post #1,127 of 2,168
Not many people seem to talk much about tubes from 80's.
From what I gather, 70's and earlier tubes are highly regarded. 
That would probably explain why the price of mine was only $30.

Just a general Lyr 2 question:
This thing seems to get scorching hot.
I mean like HOT. Even the volume knob feels like a heated pot with boiling water. 
Is this normal?
Scared of stacking it on top of BitFrost due to the heat it emits.

Odd! Do you have the rubber feet attached so it has space underneath? It needs some ventilation space. Mine gets about body temp warm and that is it. The tubes get hot- the test just warm
It's entirely possible your 80's tubes will sound good!

May 8, 2015 at 2:06 AM Post #1,128 of 2,168
yes, hot is good.  keeps you from holding onto the volume knob constantly and getting blisters.

feel free to stack on top of BiFrost, or Gungnir.  they are huge aluminum heat sinks.
damage will not occur.

Hmmm. I can leave my hand on it without discomfort. Very warm yes-burns? Nope. My Lyr gets nearly hot if I run 6N1P tubes which use twice the current (Lyr 2 can't use them).
The aluminum case is the heat sink so it should be free on all sides to allow heat dissipation

May 8, 2015 at 5:02 AM Post #1,131 of 2,168

I, too, love my 560s. They are such great all-arounders. 
Turns out that I am more impatient than I thought.
I found some Voskhod pair from 80's on ebay for cheap with free shipping.
So I just pulled the trigger.
Maybe, this is why I'm a forever poor college kid. 
I am terrible at saving and assessing my financial situations :p
But as you said, I will probably stay away from browsing tubes for a while until I have more disposable income haha.

This was the second pair of tubes I got for my Lyr2, they are quite good and I think they were $48/pair if I remember correctly.  Can't seem to find them right now, (LOL) to try them again to remember what they sounded like, sorry.  The 3 sets that I'm currently using Siemens CCa's ($180/pair), some 63 Telefunken's ($240/pair) and 62 Amperex Holland A-Frame ($250/pair).  I guess I went way down the rabbit hole and in to loony tunes world, helps to have a rich girlfriend that likes to listen to music also.
My Lyr2 gets a little hot but it is gently cooled by part of the exhaust from my computer.

May 8, 2015 at 6:28 PM Post #1,134 of 2,168
My Lyr should be going up for sale soon. No more tubes for me. I just seem to prefer solids state although I knew that before I bought this amp. I should have known better lol.

May 8, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #1,135 of 2,168
  The better question is whether or not she has an unmarried sister.

Sorry, no sister
tongue.gif

May 11, 2015 at 4:34 PM Post #1,137 of 2,168
hi ,am going to buy a new lyr2 and i'm looking for some nos tubes ....i have to spent about 150 $ for a dissent pare , but if i can't find any nos ([i'm living in Grecee) what is the best buy for new tubes  at the same cost ?-my cans are hifimam he500

May 12, 2015 at 5:03 PM Post #1,139 of 2,168
Was there any actual sound changes between the Lyr 1 and 2 or do they sound the same and just had a few new features added to the 2?

I asked this on different forums. The few answers I got said "same." The Lyr can use at least one tube type the 2 can't. 6N1P that use 600 milliAmps as compared to 300 mAmps 6N23P etc. Lyr runs both types. Lyr2 does not
I've found 6N1P much cheaper than 6N23P types.
The 2 has a gain setting switch-so if you are an earbud fan the 2 is for you
I use Planar Magnetic HP and the Lyr is great!

May 12, 2015 at 5:17 PM Post #1,140 of 2,168
X2, the Lyr 2 is supposed to be quieter in both low and hi configurations, but I have not done a head to head comparison. My Lyr 2 does sound awesome in low gain with my Grados and CIEM/IEMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back