NEW Schiit Lyr 2: Impressions
Apr 19, 2015 at 3:08 PM Post #1,111 of 2,168
The Telefunken TK add just a touch to the bass, without bleeding into the mids. The mids become very detailed, yet remain smooth, almost lush. The highs are crisp, very revealing without any sibilance. And when you combine the textured bass and detailed lush mids, with the revealing highs, you have a very holographic soundstage. And this SOUNDSTAGE is great for classical and jazz.
Hope that helps you out.
Andrew Reddog Jones

I think Andrew Reddog Jones nailed it.
I was listening to my favorite recording of Mahler's Symphony 8 last night and the details and separation of the vocals and instruments were terrific!

Apr 22, 2015 at 2:47 PM Post #1,113 of 2,168
The Telefunken TK add just a touch to the bass, without bleeding into the mids. The mids become very detailed, yet remain smooth, almost lush. The highs are crisp, very revealing without any sibilance. And when you combine the textured bass and detailed lush mids, with the revealing highs, you have a very holographic soundstage. And this SOUNDSTAGE is great for classical and jazz.
Hope that helps you out.
Andrew Reddog Jones

I think Andrew Reddog Jones nailed it.
I was listening to my favorite recording of Mahler's Symphony 8 last night and the details and separation of the vocals and instruments were terrific!

Thank you both. That's really helpful! :) 

Apr 22, 2015 at 3:05 PM Post #1,115 of 2,168
Apr 23, 2015 at 1:38 AM Post #1,117 of 2,168
You may also want to get some socket savers, for me it made the tubes much easier to remove and replace. Don't get the cheap Chinese one's, tried them and there was some noise and lost details.  The best ones I found are from Tubemonger:
http://www.tubemonger.com/Tubemonger_Accesories_s/78.htm

Hi David
What is the big plastic thing sticking out? I am imagining the pins plugging directly into the socket in the Lyr. Also why does it refer to disassembly and voiding the warranty? I guess what I an asking is that the right product for the Lyr?

Apr 23, 2015 at 3:28 AM Post #1,118 of 2,168
Hi David
What is the big plastic thing sticking out? I am imagining the pins plugging directly into the socket in the Lyr. Also why does it refer to disassembly and voiding the warranty? I guess what I an asking is that the right product for the Lyr?

Those are three different types, the one you want is the second one, which is out off stock, bummer, sorry.

May 7, 2015 at 11:19 PM Post #1,120 of 2,168
Hello fellow Lyr 2 owners,

I picked up mine today to join the club.
I am pairing it with my recently acquired HE-560 and man is it such a godly pairing. 
Even with the stock tubes and minimal burn-in time, I'm quite digging the sound.
The fact that it can only get better with better tubes just excites me beyond belief.

I listen to almost everything except classical, but more classic rock than the other genres.
Could you guys recommend me a tube for me?

Amperex Bungle Boys seem to be one of the favorites among the Lyr 2 community but they are PRICEY.
This is debatable but I think changing the tubes can only give ~10% of improvement (which is still substantial).
But I am not sure if I'm ready to sink hundreds of $$ for the 10% yet. 
So, if you could recommend something a bit more affordable for a poor college student 
bigsmile_face.gif

Anyways, happy to be hop on the Lyr 2 hype train and rock on!

May 8, 2015 at 12:31 AM Post #1,121 of 2,168
Hello fellow Lyr 2 owners,

I picked up mine today to join the club.
I am pairing it with my recently acquired HE-560 and man is it such a godly pairing. 
Even with the stock tubes and minimal burn-in time, I'm quite digging the sound.
The fact that it can only get better with better tubes just excites me beyond belief.

I listen to almost everything except classical, but more classic rock than the other genres.
Could you guys recommend me a tube for me?

Amperex Bungle Boys seem to be one of the favorites among the Lyr 2 community but they are PRICEY.
This is debatable but I think changing the tubes can only give ~10% of improvement (which is still substantial).
But I am not sure if I'm ready to sink hundreds of $$ for the 10% yet. 
So, if you could recommend something a bit more affordable for a poor college student :bigsmile_face:  

Anyways, happy to be hop on the Lyr 2 hype train and rock on!

Welcome! I' love my HE-560's!
10%? Id say more than that. But then I listen to Classical and Jazz more than classic rock. The stock RCA's are not bad.
What I hear with some of those expensive tubes is more detail and the sense of a large hall. As a "poor College student" I might suggest NOT going down the rabbit hole of tube rolling. There are modern tubes some may suggest. I've not tried them having started my "rolling" with some vintage tubes.
I'm afraid I've gone down the rabbit hole and through the looking glass

May 8, 2015 at 12:44 AM Post #1,123 of 2,168
Welcome! I' love my HE-560's!
10%? Id say more than that. But then I listen to Classical and Jazz more than classic rock. The stock RCA's are not bad.
What I hear with some of those expensive tubes is more detail and the sense of a large hall. As a "poor College student" I might suggest NOT going down the rabbit hole of tube rolling. There are modern tubes some may suggest. I've not tried them having started my "rolling" with some vintage tubes.
I'm afraid I've gone down the rabbit hole and through the looking glass

I, too, love my 560s. They are such great all-arounders. 
Turns out that I am more impatient than I thought.
I found some Voskhod pair from 80's on ebay for cheap with free shipping.
So I just pulled the trigger.
Maybe, this is why I'm a forever poor college kid. 
I am terrible at saving and assessing my financial situations :p
But as you said, I will probably stay away from browsing tubes for a while until I have more disposable income haha.

May 8, 2015 at 12:54 AM Post #1,124 of 2,168
I, too, love my 560s. They are such great all-arounders. 
Turns out that I am more impatient than I thought.
I found some Voskhod pair from 80's on ebay for cheap with free shipping.
So I just pulled the trigger.
Maybe, this is why I'm a forever poor college kid. 
I am terrible at saving and assessing my financial situations :p
But as you said, I will probably stay away from browsing tubes for a while until I have more disposable income haha.

:wink: I'm curious as to how the 80's Vokshods sound. I've got a couple of Pairs of Reflektors from the mid 70's I quite like.

May 8, 2015 at 1:31 AM Post #1,125 of 2,168
:wink: I'm curious as to how the 80's Vokshods sound. I've got a couple of Pairs of Reflektors from the mid 70's I quite like.

Not many people seem to talk much about tubes from 80's.
From what I gather, 70's and earlier tubes are highly regarded. 
That would probably explain why the price of mine was only $30.

Just a general Lyr 2 question:
This thing seems to get scorching hot.
I mean like HOT. Even the volume knob feels like a heated pot with boiling water. 
Is this normal?
Scared of stacking it on top of BitFrost due to the heat it emits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back