NEW Schiit Lyr 2: Impressions
Apr 7, 2015 at 8:00 PM Post #1,036 of 2,168

+1  I like the new ones better as well.  Never did try the Ebay - Chinese made ones.

Just tried some cheap Chinese ones from ebay ($10 for 10) and they made the bass sound muddy and highs weren't crisp.  Tried one with socket saver other without and there was difference between the two.  Tried this with the Novib socket savers and didn't notice a difference between the two, I guess you get what you pay for sometimes.

Apr 7, 2015 at 9:26 PM Post #1,037 of 2,168
  Just tried some cheap Chinese ones from ebay ($10 for 10) and they made the bass sound muddy and highs weren't crisp.  Tried one with socket saver other without and there was difference between the two.  Tried this with the Novib socket savers and didn't notice a difference between the two, I guess you get what you pay for sometimes.

+1 Good feedback.

Apr 8, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #1,041 of 2,168
I'm about to order some socket savers- what are good ones-with a minimum Crapola Index? I'd rather not add Crapola to my Schiit-so to speak!
Eric

Apr 8, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #1,042 of 2,168
  I'm about to order some socket savers- what are good ones-with a minimum Crapola Index? I'd rather not add Crapola to my Schiit-so to speak!
Eric

clear1x1.gif
Plug Play NOVIB Socket Saver©-1960s NOS British McMurdo Phenolic socket on Top plus Vibration Reduction Base - 9-pin B9A NOVAL -( NOT MADE IN CHINA) - NEW VERSION
One Piece = $28.00

I like these from Tubemonger

Apr 8, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #1,043 of 2,168
Apr 8, 2015 at 5:12 PM Post #1,044 of 2,168
Apr 9, 2015 at 3:27 PM Post #1,047 of 2,168

Is it normal for one of the tubes to be slightly dimmer than the other? They are both Amperex Orange Globes 1969. They're from different batches I believe but both were almost NOS when I purchased. Their connected to my Lyr 2, however im not too familiar with how the Lyr 2 processes sound or how something like this could affect sound. They've been like this since I bought them a month ago.

Apr 9, 2015 at 6:44 PM Post #1,048 of 2,168

Is it normal for one of the tubes to be slightly dimmer than the other? They are both Amperex Orange Globes 1969. They're from different batches I believe but both were almost NOS when I purchased. Their connected to my Lyr 2, however im not too familiar with how the Lyr 2 processes sound or how something like this could affect sound. They've been like this since I bought them a month ago.

As long as they measure the same, it's fine. If they don't, then you will get channel imbalance.

Apr 9, 2015 at 8:25 PM Post #1,050 of 2,168
I would say first try wearing your headphones R earcup on left ear/L earcup on right ear, and then swap around between normal & opposite a few times and see if you notice anything specific that localizes to opposite sides when you switch. easier way to test for sonic imbalances assuming your earpads are not slanted & fit the same way either way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back