NEW Schiit Lyr 2: Impressions
Jan 13, 2015 at 4:34 PM Post #676 of 2,168
  Quick Question :)

Does anyone know if I could take the 1/4 "headphone" output from an Oppo 105D and with a adapter cable plug it into the input RCA jacks on the Lyr2?  Without causing any problems or anything weird?

It seems like it should work fine to me :)  It would be like taking the 3.5mm output from any device, like an iPod or computer, etc.. Which I've always done with powered speakers, etc.

Does it not have a pre-amp output?

Jan 13, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #677 of 2,168
  Does it not have a pre-amp output?

Sure it does - but they're connected to my amp that powers my speakers. 

I'd rather not have to unplug one for the other and so forth. I suppose I could use a splitter but that's adding a more junk than I'd like and then I'd need to unplug the speaker amp trigger (or power) to keep it from coming on.   The Oppo also keeps separate volume levels for the headphone jack and the pre-out's which would be handy since the same default volume level probably wouldn't be ideal for both.

Using the 1/4 jack would just be overall easier.  Just plug it in when I want to use it :)  Most the time the Lyr will be at my office so this would just be an occasional use type of thing.

Jan 13, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #678 of 2,168

Using the 1/4 jack would just be overall easier.  Just plug it in when I want to use it :)  Most the time the Lyr will be at my office so this would just be an occasional use type of thing.

Will it work? Yes. It's not the optimal situation though, there are multiple threads on here about Double Amping you can read about. 

Many people use an RCA switch in your situation.

Jan 13, 2015 at 5:23 PM Post #679 of 2,168
  Will it work? Yes. It's not the optimal situation though, there are multiple threads on here about Double Amping you can read about. 

Many people use an RCA switch in your situation.

I'll read up.

Looks like the Schiit Sys has two inputs and one output.  I'd need one input and two outputs and ideally without a volume in the middle of them.  I'll look and see if I find something.  I'd really rather not add another "thing" into the loop if I can avoid it though.   Since I'll only rarely hook up like this I might just unplug one and plug in the other if the 1/4 output doesn't sound right.

Thanks for the advise and help!

Jan 13, 2015 at 5:27 PM Post #680 of 2,168

I'll read up.

Looks like the Schiit Sys has two inputs and one output.  I'd need one input and two outputs and ideally without a volume in the middle of them.  I'll look and see if I find something.  I'd really rather not add another "thing" into the loop if I can avoid it though.   Since I'll only rarely hook up like this I might just unplug one and plug in the other if the 1/4 output doesn't sound right.

Thanks for the advise and help!

It's passive, so you can use it backwards(1I 2O). Jason confirmed it in some other thread. Any switch will do, if you wanna go that way. I understand the whole wanting to keep the signal as "pure" as you can. Your call :)

http://www.head-fi.org/t/715525/avant-le-schiitstorm-a-couple-of-small-announcements/15#post_10480938

Jan 16, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #681 of 2,168
I got a Magni 2, two days ago. My thought it'd be funny to tell me I couldn't upgrade it until it broke. Well it broke. So I bought a Lyr 2. Joke is on her. Will leave my impressions on Lyr 2 + HE-560 in a few days.

Jan 16, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #682 of 2,168
I sold my Lyr 1 and bought Lyr 2, and on high gain there is very loud noise floor. I have Audeze LCD-2 Fazor plugged in and it's waaay more audiable then it was on Lyr 1. I wonder if my unit is defective or on high gain it just gets that loud? On low gain it's dead silent. Could anyone with audeze comment.

Jan 16, 2015 at 7:28 PM Post #683 of 2,168
So I picked up my Lyr 2 today. I can see why those socket savers are a thing with these. The tubes are difficult to put in so I'm going to buy a pair and the deoxit tube kit. I only have the stock tubes right now but I do have some Voshod Rockets coming and also a pair of Siemens E88CC/6922 A frame so that should give me a good starting point. I do plan on a few other sets to have a decent collection of tubes to play around with but that will come in time.

I do have to get a small piece of wood from Home Depot this weekend since I've been using those metal storage shelves as my audio rack and the stick on feet is way too small. 

I'll be pairing these mostly with my Violectric V800 DAC and AKG Q701 or K7xx headphones. I think power wise it's a bit much but my Concero HP wasn't cutting it.

Jan 16, 2015 at 7:34 PM Post #684 of 2,168
So I picked up my Lyr 2 today. I can see why those socket savers are a thing with these. The tubes are difficult to put in so I'm going to buy a pair and the deoxit tube kit. I only have the stock tubes right now but I do have some Voshod Rockets coming and also a pair of Siemens E88CC/6922 A frame so that should give me a good starting point. I do plan on a few other sets to have a decent collection of tubes to play around with but that will come in time.

I do have to get a small piece of wood from Home Depot this weekend since I've been using those metal storage shelves as my audio rack and the stick on feet is way too small. 

I'll be pairing these mostly with my Violectric V800 DAC and AKG Q701 or K7xx headphones. I think power wise it's a bit much but my Concero HP wasn't cutting it.

Sweet hope your lyr2 rig makes your cans sing. And yes the socket savers are a great device, and I need to order a pair soon too.

Jan 16, 2015 at 9:00 PM Post #685 of 2,168
I'd get me socket savers for my Lyr 2, but I think I'll like my amp better without it since it looks better.  lol  Anyways, I'm pretty settled with my new Genalex Gold Lions E88CC I've bought since last Friday of last week.  I've been burning them in ever since and so far my impressions on these tubes compared to stock ones have been impressive thus far.  My HD700's are actually so much smoother sounding in the highs without very little to no harshness compared to stock.  And mids are sweeter sounding and smooth but neutral and the soundstage are wide open and holographic without losing detail in the warmth.  And bass now has more punch and extends deeper.  Overall more refined sounding than stock tubes.  Very impressed with these tubes and I'll recommend to anyone who's looking to upgrade their stock tubes to a set of relatively inexpensive but really impressive sounding E88CC tubes.

Next step would be the Telefunken E88CC, but doubt they'll be available in the future considering their rarity and high price. 

Jan 16, 2015 at 9:53 PM Post #686 of 2,168
I wish i still had the CTH Rev A to compare to. That was a small tube amp that delivers more than you think it would. I think the two would be comparable. So far I get the sense that the amp is slightly on the warmer side but not too bad. I did do a quick listen with the Q701, K7xx and my UERM and I do like it so far. It's nice to have an amp with the flexibility to drive headphones as well as iem's since with the latter you usually get the issue of either channel imbalance at low levels or the gain is too high.

One advantage to this amp is that it has been getting colder recently and it can double as a hand warmer. I could probably keep my coffee warm on them :) I got some rearranging my room to do tomorrow (it's really long overdue) and going to find a better place to put my amp. It will probably go on my desk since I no longer have a larger sized amp.

Jan 18, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #687 of 2,168
I'd get me socket savers for my Lyr 2, but I think I'll like my amp better without it since it looks better.  lol  Anyways, I'm pretty settled with my new Genalex Gold Lions E88CC I've bought since last Friday of last week.  I've been burning them in ever since and so far my impressions on these tubes compared to stock ones have been impressive thus far.  My HD700's are actually so much smoother sounding in the highs without very little to no harshness compared to stock.  And mids are sweeter sounding and smooth but neutral and the soundstage are wide open and holographic without losing detail in the warmth.  And bass now has more punch and extends deeper.  Overall more refined sounding than stock tubes.  Very impressed with these tubes and I'll recommend to anyone who's looking to upgrade their stock tubes to a set of relatively inexpensive but really impressive sounding E88CC tubes.

Next step would be the Telefunken E88CC, but doubt they'll be available in the future considering their rarity and high price. 
Those are best of the new production I've heard. But wait until you hear a really good pair of vintage tubes, for the same $90/pr as the GL's you can get much better. My favorites are the 6N23P Voskhods. Many of the '70's vintage prs can be had for $50-$60.

Happy Rolling!

Jan 18, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #688 of 2,168
I wish i still had the CTH Rev A to compare to. That was a small tube amp that delivers more than you think it would. I think the two would be comparable. So far I get the sense that the amp is slightly on the warmer side but not too bad. I did do a quick listen with the Q701, K7xx and my UERM and I do like it so far. It's nice to have an amp with the flexibility to drive headphones as well as iem's since with the latter you usually get the issue of either channel imbalance at low levels or the gain is too high.

One advantage to this amp is that it has been getting colder recently and it can double as a hand warmer. I could probably keep my coffee warm on them :) I got some rearranging my room to do tomorrow (it's really long overdue) and going to find a better place to put my amp. It will probably go on my desk since I no longer have a larger sized amp.
The Lyr's sound best toastie warm. The Mosfet output devices run in class A, need to be on for a few hours to really smoothout. I give mine 4 hrs of warmup before extended listening.

Jan 24, 2015 at 2:13 AM Post #689 of 2,168
The Lyr's sound best toastie warm. The Mosfet output devices run in class A, need to be on for a few hours to really smoothout. I give mine 4 hrs of warmup before extended listening.

4 hours seems a bit excessive, don't you think?   Mine begins to 'stabilize' after only about 30 minutes to an hour, in which my amp reaches its max potential.  

Jan 24, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #690 of 2,168
4 hours seems a bit excessive, don't you think?   Mine begins to 'stabilize' after only about 30 minutes to an hour, in which my amp reaches its max potential.  
I 've noticed mine better with more warm up. I believe it's a temperature issue. So it may depend on the ambient temperature in the room. I live in Seattle and our house is usually kept at a chilly 65 degrees.

I've had my Lyr for several years - so I've heard it in many seasons. I have logged thousands of hours on mine, rolling over 50 different tube types, both new production and vintage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back