NEW Schiit Lyr 2: Impressions
Dec 31, 2014 at 8:01 PM Post #543 of 2,168
I know this is probably considered blasphemy here on HeadFi, but I will be using the Lyr 2 with an iPod Touch and Fiio L9 cable and no DAC, as I do not own one.

Do you have a 3.5mm to RCA adaptor?

Also, your ipod touch has a DAC in it - you can't listen to digital music through headphones without a DAC. Just for clarification :)

Dec 31, 2014 at 8:52 PM Post #545 of 2,168
So close to pulling the trigger on the Lyr 2. Will be pairing it with my Uber Bifrost in place of my Asgard 2. I've spent the last few days reading this thread and it has me excited to try out this amp and purchase different tube pairs with hopes of finding the ideal pair for my HE-500s. If I dive in on the Lyr 2, I'd get the Socket Savers and one pair of tubes outside the stock ones provided, so I'll have something to switch to from time to time.

Dec 31, 2014 at 9:55 PM Post #546 of 2,168
So close to pulling the trigger on the Lyr 2. Will be pairing it with my Uber Bifrost in place of my Asgard 2. I've spent the last few days reading this thread and it has me excited to try out this amp and purchase different tube pairs with hopes of finding the ideal pair for my HE-500s. If I dive in on the Lyr 2, I'd get the Socket Savers and one pair of tubes outside the stock ones provided, so I'll have something to switch to from time to time.

when I owned HE-500 pulled the same move: Asgard 2 trade for Lyr 1. Was amazing and easily worth the $.
You won't regret this at all with Lyr 2.
Guaranteed.

Dec 31, 2014 at 10:08 PM Post #547 of 2,168

I have the Lyr 2 and he-500. I also got the socket savers and a pair of Amperex orange globes in addition to the stock tubes, and I've thoroughly enjoyed the setup.

Jan 1, 2015 at 5:46 AM Post #549 of 2,168
Hi all, I had posted on another thread asking folks about their top 3 or 5 tubes for the Lyr2 and am interested to hear your opinions on this as well.

I am just getting started rolling tubes and have only tried 70s Voskhod Rockets in addition to the stock tubes so far. I have been keeping track of recommendations along the way, and my wish list looks something like this:

1)  61 Amperex white label USA’s
2)  Amperex PQ white label (not sure if these are the same as the 1)
3)  Amperex Orange Globe

4)  60s Telefunken
5)  Telefunken E88CC platinum tubes

6)  Siemens CCa
7)  Philips SQ White Print E188CC Herleens

What is your top 5 list? It would be great to get the year and any specifics as well to make searching eBay easier.

Thanks and happy new year to all you tube rollers 
atsmile.gif

Jan 1, 2015 at 10:40 AM Post #550 of 2,168
Thanks bro. I'll look into them. :wink:
I have used two currently produced tubes, in my lyr 2. I have used the Genalex Gold Lions and Telefunken TK E88CC tubes. The gold lions a a little warm sounding. The bass bass more impact, with out bloat, the mids become sweeter and smoother. The treble/ highs are fine sounding. The soundstage is more holographic and detailed. The Telefunken TK, compared to the stock tubes, adds a more textured bass, that's gives a little more impact without bleeding into the mids. The mids are a extremely textured and natural sounding g. The highs are also more detailed and thus the soundstage opens up and the details of music more detailed than the stock tubes. But the Telefunken TK tubes do not compete with the NOS Telefunken E88CC platinum tubes, also One can find some great NOS vokshods for under half the price one pays for currently produced tubes. But of the currently produced tubes I have, my favorite are the Genalex Gold Lions.

Jan 1, 2015 at 1:20 PM Post #551 of 2,168
Hello all,

first time poster, just want to know if there are any deals on Schiit Lyr 2s anywhere? or they don't go on sale?

I am thinking of selling my JDS labs O2 +ODAC for the Schiit Lyr 2.  I am thinking that there will be a significant upgrade when I do this.

thanks

Jan 1, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #552 of 2,168
  Hello all,

first time poster, just want to know if there are any deals on Schiit Lyr 2s anywhere? or they don't go on sale?

I am thinking of selling my JDS labs O2 +ODAC for the Schiit Lyr 2.  I am thinking that there will be a significant upgrade when I do this.

thanks

schiit doesn't really do sales. you can get it used for cheaper around here if there is someone trying to sell theirs. amazon also has listing for b-stock ones that are cheaper, but none in stock. maybe you can try contacting schiit & seeing if they do have any b-stock currently. but unfortunately, probably hard to find the schiit lyr 2 discounted. good luck!!

Jan 1, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #553 of 2,168
I will probably get it from Schiit directly new.

I have an Asus Essense STX sound card and DT 990 pro 600 setup right now.  I am leaning towards on getting a Schiit Lyr 2 because of the tubes.

Is this a definite upgrade? I am reading all the reviews and Lyr 2 is somehow better than O2 +ODAC

Jan 1, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #554 of 2,168
  Hello all,

thanks

Schiit doesn't have any sales ever. It's part of their policy: http://schiit.com/about/on-deals

If you buy it used, just keep in mind that the warranty does not transfer to second owners.

Jan 1, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #555 of 2,168
  I will probably get it from Schiit directly new.

I have an Asus Essense STX sound card and DT 990 pro 600 setup right now.  I am leaning towards on getting a Schiit Lyr 2 because of the tubes.

Is this a definite upgrade? I am reading all the reviews and Lyr 2 is somehow better than O2 +ODAC

If you want, you can contact Schiit directly at info@schiit.com and ask them to reccomend an amp to you. They won't bs you - they might direct you to an amp that costs less, if it's right for your setup. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back