NEW Schiit Lyr 2: Impressions
Dec 20, 2014 at 7:01 PM Post #451 of 2,168
So different tubes definitely make an audible difference? It's not as controversial as, say, custom cables? 

Edit: 
Also, I'm curious about hybrid amps vs pure tubes / OTL's. Is it just that some people prefer the sound of OTL's? Is it possible to find a tube that will make a hybrid sound more like an OTL?

I'm just wondering because I own HE400's and HD600's and am trying to find an amp that meshes well with them both, as well as any future headphones I come across. Things like Bottlehead Crack are recommended very frequently for the HD600's, but I hear to stay away from it with my orthos. The Lyr 2 just seems like a happy solution to the problem.

I own both those phones and a Lyr1/Bifrost combo. Does them both justice. I am sure the Lyr2 will be fine.

Dec 20, 2014 at 8:12 PM Post #452 of 2,168
Even the Tesla ECC88 gold pins that I have makes the Lyr 2 sound much better than with stock tubes.  Those I purchased $35 with shipping.
I don't use them because I prefer the Telefunkens and Siemens.  If you ever get the Lyr 2 let me know.  You can have them for $25 plus shipping. 
I also have some Voskhod Rocket 6N23P on the way but I believe there's someone else on this thread who is wanting to sell them for $40 with shipping.
All good options on the cheap. 

Thanks. Price looks ok for a decent upgrade. I will let you know.
Does any of these tubes for Lyr 2 are newly produced? Or all has to be vintage?

It's holiday season, i should treat myself, hmmm ...

Dec 20, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #453 of 2,168
Thanks. Price looks ok for a decent upgrade. I will let you know.
Does any of these tubes for Lyr 2 are newly produced? Or all has to be vintage?

It's holiday season, i should treat myself, hmmm ...

Good ones are all (NOS) vintage. 
I should say though, some seem to think the Genalex Gold Lions are pretty decent for current production tubes.  Not great but good. 
Telefunken also makes current tubes but they are rebranded tubes made by JJ tubes. Not sure if they're worth it. 

But you have to decide on the sound signature you like or want.  That will determine the tubes.

Cheers. 

Dec 20, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #454 of 2,168
I should say though, some seem to think the Genalex Gold Lions are pretty decent for current production tubes.  Not great but good. 
Telefunken also makes current tubes but they are rebranded tubes made by JJ tubes. Not sure if they're worth it. 

But you have to decide on the sound signature you like or want.  That will determine the tubes.

Cheers. 

Are the sound differences between different tubes obvious or rather subtle? 

Dec 20, 2014 at 8:49 PM Post #455 of 2,168
  Are the sound differences between different tubes obvious or rather subtle? 

Some subtle, some obvious.  Think headphones.  
Some differences are subtle, some are huge.  
Different tube makers (or brands) have different sound signatures and within the brands varying differences. 

Dec 21, 2014 at 12:44 AM Post #458 of 2,168
So different tubes definitely make an audible difference? It's not as controversial as, say, custom cables? 

Edit: 
Also, I'm curious about hybrid amps vs pure tubes / OTL's. Is it just that some people prefer the sound of OTL's? Is it possible to find a tube that will make a hybrid sound more like an OTL?

I'm just wondering because I own HE400's and HD600's and am trying to find an amp that meshes well with them both, as well as any future headphones I come across. Things like Bottlehead Crack are recommended very frequently for the HD600's, but I hear to stay away from it with my orthos. The Lyr 2 just seems like a happy solution to the problem.
I've had the HD800's a 300ohm hp, and have tried several OTL's, like the Earmax and ASL MKIII, my last amp was the Woo WA6-SE. I spent a yr rolling tubes for it. The Lyr has replaced it - just rock solid bass and dynamics. Some OTLs can be a little 'thin' down low.

Dec 21, 2014 at 1:32 AM Post #459 of 2,168

Cheers. 

How's lyr 2 for vocals? I like vocals most. I read that vocal can somewhat bottom heavy and piano sounds too heavy. Is it true?

Dec 21, 2014 at 9:30 AM Post #460 of 2,168
Yep. I still have the pair of 77 Voskhod Grey shields. :wink:
Even the Tesla ECC88 gold pins that I have makes the Lyr 2 sound much better than with stock tubes.  Those I purchased $35 with shipping.
I don't use them because I prefer the Telefunkens and Siemens.  If you ever get the Lyr 2 let me know.  You can have them for $25 plus shipping. 
I also have some Voskhod Rocket 6N23P on the way but I believe there's someone else on this thread who is wanting to sell them for $40 with shipping.
All good options on the cheap. 

Dec 21, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #461 of 2,168
Yes thanks for the information, might have to try a pair. Tonight I am using the current production Telefunken TK E88CC tubes after 200+ hours burn in, through my Alpha Prime's. Compared to the stock tubes, and my best tubes, the Telefunken E88CC platinum tubes; the sound signature is good. The bass is detailed, adding a bit of impact, without bloat. The mids are nice and detailed, the edginess of the stock sound is smother out. Likewise the highs are detailed, no sibilance. Overall the Telefunken TK E88CC tubes have a nice holographic soundstage, where the instruments and vocals are detailed, and natural sounding.

How does the soundstage and tone on your Prime compare to your 560's?

Dec 21, 2014 at 11:17 AM Post #462 of 2,168
How's lyr 2 for vocals? I like vocals most. I read that vocal can somewhat bottom heavy and piano sounds too heavy. Is it true?

That really depends on your HP's, that is not an issue with the 560's or Alpha Dogs. Either using the Lyr 2 as an amp or pre-amp.

Dec 21, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #464 of 2,168
Dec 21, 2014 at 1:31 PM Post #465 of 2,168
Are there any tube extender type products out there that would raise the tubes above the chassis?

Edit: Did some searching and answered my own question.

This guy used "Tubemonger Socket Savers"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back