NEW Schiit Lyr 2: Impressions
Sep 13, 2014 at 11:49 PM Post #211 of 2,168
One of the sockets of my Lyr 2 is very tight as well. I needed to use a bit of force to fit the tube properly. I have no other issues with my Lyr 2 though except I do not have enough time to roll other tubes I purchased recently. :)

Sep 14, 2014 at 2:40 PM Post #212 of 2,168

yikes!  wiggly and unseating randomly??
recipe for disaster.  obviously a defect.  might not be the pins, but instead the sockets.
neither my Lyr 1 nor Lyr 2 had this symptom, and best to contact Nick at Schiit right away.  my Lyr 2 tubes are so tight it takes focused effort and strength to get them out.

One of the sockets of my Lyr 2 is very tight as well. I needed to use a bit of force to fit the tube properly. I have no other issues with my Lyr 2 though except I do not have enough time to roll other tubes I purchased recently.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thank you guys for your feedback. My previous tube amplifiers had a very tight connection, so I suspected that this might not be ordinary. Schiit tech support suggested that I try to straighten the pins myself, so I tentatively gave it a go. Had to google how to straight tube pins as tube straighteners seem scare nowadays. Found this helpful link for anyone else who experiences this problem in the future: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh7PrUu9u84 & 

Good news!!! I was able to set down both tubes very securely after some fiddling & now I do not even experience any distortion when I tap/touch on my amplifier. Only time will time if they will unseat randomly or if I get any random distortion, but I have a very good feeling about this. Finally was able to achieve a nice tight connection that I feel comfy with. So happy!!!! thank you everyone for all your help :):):)

edit: after all that work to get the stock tubes to sit tightly into the amp, I probably won't be attempting any tube rolling as I'm don't wanna take the tubes out of their sockets. luckily, I am very happy with the stock tube sound :)

Sep 14, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #213 of 2,168
Glad it worked out for you. Enjoy!

Sep 14, 2014 at 8:29 PM Post #214 of 2,168

Thank you guys for your feedback. My previous tube amplifiers had a very tight connection, so I suspected that this might not be ordinary. Schiit tech support suggested that I try to straighten the pins myself, so I tentatively gave it a go. Had to google how to straight tube pins as tube straighteners seem scare nowadays. Found this helpful link for anyone else who experiences this problem in the future: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh7PrUu9u84 & 

Good news!!! I was able to set down both tubes very securely after some fiddling & now I do not even experience any distortion when I tap/touch on my amplifier. Only time will time if they will unseat randomly or if I get any random distortion, but I have a very good feeling about this. Finally was able to achieve a nice tight connection that I feel comfy with. So happy!!!! thank you everyone for all your help :):):)

edit: after all that work to get the stock tubes to sit tightly into the amp, I probably won't be attempting any tube rolling as I'm don't wanna take the tubes out of their sockets. luckily, I am very happy with the stock tube sound :)

Buy some socket savers, they make rolling easier on the Lyr and raise the tube so you can see the captivating glow http://www.tubemonger.com/

Sep 18, 2014 at 10:19 PM Post #217 of 2,168
I just got some Amperex Fat Bottle 6DJ8 (Hungary 1983) tubes for the Lyr 2, I can tell already they sound much better than the Amperex Bugle Boys 6DJ8 (Holland 1964) on the Lyr 2. Soundstage finally came to life on the Lyr 2 and the bass has a lot more slam, some reason the Bugle Boys were overly flat sounding on the Lyr 2.

Sep 23, 2014 at 12:52 AM Post #218 of 2,168
Hello people! Has anyone used the Lyr 2 as a preamp? And if so, how's that been working out for you? I plan to snag a pair of HE-560s, and also either the SE846s, or (leaning toward) W60s; with a Gungnir upstream, and a McIntosh MC122 power amp, and Totem 'The Ones' downstream. Content will be an eclectic array of nearly a half year of ALAC files, mostly 16/44, but some better. Oh, and a bit of vinyl, some of it MFSL. Until there's a bit more cash laying around, I'm going for the absolute best bang for yer buck crap I can manage.

Any input on the aforementioned pre outputs would be greatly appreciated!

Sep 25, 2014 at 7:22 PM Post #220 of 2,168
Hello Sirs!

I tried searching, could not find a thread that answered this specifically (or it was about the original Lyr).

I got a new Lyr 2, and what I'm wondering is -- is it normal for there to be a slight "pop" noise in headphones a few seconds after powering the unit on with the volume turned all the way down?

I'm only concerned because both the Lyr 2 and my Valhalla 2 have a muting relay, but the Valhalla 2 does not make the pop noise with the volume down. I thought the muting relay was there to prevent any voltage spikes on power up (Edit: I own a Valhalla 2, also).

Edit: It happens on power-off, as well -- but it sounds more "muffled." Like a speaker powering off.
Edit: WHOAAAAAAAA. Wait, I was wrong. Valhalla 2 does not having a muting relay. Well, basically all I want to know is if other Lyr 2s do this.

I made a new thread, but someone said to post here. :)

Thanks for reading.

Sep 25, 2014 at 9:33 PM Post #221 of 2,168
  Hello Sirs!

I tried searching, could not find a thread that answered this specifically (or it was about the original Lyr).

I got a new Lyr 2, and what I'm wondering is -- is it normal for there to be a slight "pop" noise in headphones a few seconds after powering the unit on with the volume turned all the way down?

I'm only concerned because both the Lyr 2 and my Valhalla 2 have a muting relay, but the Valhalla 2 does not make the pop noise with the volume down. I thought the muting relay was there to prevent any voltage spikes on power up (Edit: I own a Valhalla 2, also).

Edit: It happens on power-off, as well -- but it sounds more "muffled." Like a speaker powering off.
Edit: WHOAAAAAAAA. Wait, I was wrong. Valhalla 2 does not having a muting relay. Well, basically all I want to know is if other Lyr 2s do this.

Thanks for reading.

all lyr 2s should have a muting relay. You can tell by a click/thunk sound after 20 seconds ish. 

Not sure about a pop sound. My lyr clicks when you turn it off too. Is it like a pop that can be described as a clickythunk or is it a pop that is staticky?

Sep 25, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #222 of 2,168
  all lyr 2s should have a muting relay. You can tell by a click/thunk sound after 20 seconds ish. 

Not sure about a pop sound. My lyr clicks when you turn it off too. Is it like a pop that can be described as a clickythunk or is it a pop that is staticky?

It's not really staticky. It does have kind of a "click" but it's more of a lower bassy sound, too.

I can't really describe a better term for it other than a "pop" sound. It's like when you accidentally pull the cord out of a guitar amp, if you've ever used one.

The Valhalla 2 is completely silent on power on/off.. so I'm not used to the noises the Lyr 2 makes.

Sep 25, 2014 at 10:22 PM Post #223 of 2,168
  It's not really staticky. It does have kind of a "click" but it's more of a lower bassy sound, too.

I can't really describe a better term for it other than a "pop" sound. It's like when you accidentally pull the cord out of a guitar amp, if you've ever used one.

The Valhalla 2 is completely silent on power on/off.. so I'm not used to the noises the Lyr 2 makes.

sounds like the muting relay. this is after 20ish seconds?

Sep 25, 2014 at 11:04 PM Post #224 of 2,168
  Hello Sirs!

Thanks for reading.

Yes. It's also part of the Lyr 1. Here's what I suggest. Turn the Lyr on without your headphones plugged in, wait for 20 seconds until you hear a click (you will hear it without the headphones on), and then plug in your headphones. When you turn the amp off, first unplug your headphones, turn the volume knob all the way down, and then turn it off. Others will be able to tell you why this is the case. I assume it's related to its awesome power output. 

Sep 26, 2014 at 12:30 AM Post #225 of 2,168
  Yes. It's also part of the Lyr 1. Here's what I suggest. Turn the Lyr on without your headphones plugged in, wait for 20 seconds until you hear a click (you will hear it without the headphones on), and then plug in your headphones. When you turn the amp off, first unplug your headphones, turn the volume knob all the way down, and then turn it off. Others will be able to tell you why this is the case. I assume it's related to its awesome power output. 

I don't think that is necessary. That was the instructions for people who had the old Lyr 1 without the relay. With the relay, I am pretty sure it doesn't matter. there shouldn't be any way for the amp to damage your headphones if you are within normal listening volumes. ...I would imagine if there was a special procedure that you need to follow, they would have included it in the owner's manual.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back