NEW Portable Cayin Spark C5 DAC/Amp Released MAY 2015
Jun 23, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #46 of 120
Yeah, I know I shouldn't have been but I was caught off guard by the lack of iOS support...

iOS is supported. you just need a camera adapter kit from what I understand. that's the way it works for the majority of devices on the market. companies have to pay Apple if they want their dac to work plugging straight into the phone without the camera kit. More Apple's issue with their closed system and proprietary ports than 3rd party manufacturers.

Jun 23, 2015 at 5:59 PM Post #47 of 120
iOS is supported. you just need a camera adapter kit from what I understand. that's the way it works for the majority of devices on the market. companies have to pay Apple if they want their dac to work plugging straight into the phone without the camera kit. More Apple's issue with their closed system and proprietary ports than 3rd party manufacturers.

I have a CCK, so I'll see if I can get it to work...

Jun 23, 2015 at 9:38 PM Post #48 of 120

Yes correct. What we need is a Camera adapter kit in order to work with iOS.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jun 23, 2015 at 9:52 PM Post #49 of 120
  Hi @nmatheis , good to see that you have received the C5DAC! 
rolleyes.gif

Can you please write the details about the outer dimensions (I want to be sure if it is going to be stacked well with an LG G3) ?

IMO a super short data cable (microUSB to microUSB) would work better without any redundancy for connecting the C5DAC to a phone... This short cable could make it feel better in a pocket too...

(But I am not very sure since I didn't have the unit yet... So just looking at the images I tried to imagine...)

Something like this?:

(I am not sure if anything like this manufactured before
so I created this image using a stock microUSB to USB cable image
and manipulated it in Adobe Photoshop)

The C5 Spark does comes with short OTG (micro to micro) cable already (all black one in the image below). I actually prefer the Hakshop (google it) version (the one with the red connector) of the cable as the stock one does not seem to fully seat into the USB port and comes out fairly easily. I had trouble syncing the device with the G3 at first then i figured out the sure-fire way to work it. First connect the C5 (off position) to your phone via OTG cable. Unlock phone, THEN turn on the C5.

Jun 24, 2015 at 12:54 AM Post #50 of 120
Yes correct. What we need is a Camera adapter kit in order to work with iOS.

I have the USB -> 30-pin Camera Connection Kit, which I use with a 30-pin Line Out Dock with amps. I'm just unsure of how to use the CCK with my iPhone 5s which uses the Lightning connector. Maybe someone can give me a bit of help to test this feature. Off to google it...

Jun 26, 2015 at 7:41 PM Post #54 of 120
It sound great like the original C5 did and is a snap to use as a DAC/Amp with my iPhone, which is great!

The only concerns for my use case so far are that I really want to use them with IEM but find they have a very narrow range of use on the volume pot.

For instance when using the RHA T20, I get low volume as the "2" mark just becomes visible on the dial. By the time the "2" mark is disappearing, it's too loud for me. There are 9 marks, so I only get to use 1 increment on the volume dial with these IEM. That's on low gain, of course.

For me, that's just not enough. Not only does it make it tricky to dial in the right volume, I'm afraid I might accidentally turn the dial too far and blast my ears.

This seems just like the original C5 and was the major reason I sold my C5. It was my understanding from early C5DAC product info that they would be more usable with IEM (ie, lower gain), but that's definitely not my experience so far.

The other niggle I have is the bass boost. Some love it, I don't. For me it's too broad-spectrum, warming up sub - upper bass and bleeding into the mids. I prefer a more surgical bass boost, which boosts mostly sub bass, a bit of mid bass, but leaves upper bass and mids untouched. Of course, YMMV.

But as a last message, the default sound signature on the C5DAC is fantastic :L3000:

Jun 30, 2015 at 12:26 AM Post #56 of 120
My take on the C5 DAC for those interested.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/cayin-spark-c5-dac-portable-usb-dac-headphone-amplifier/reviews/13470

Jul 1, 2015 at 9:32 PM Post #58 of 120
Day 1 with the C5DAC impressions: 

Overall impressions are very good. The amplifier part of the unit is excellent. Works well with all my headphones. I have yet to try it with an IEM though. This thing pairs exceptionally well with my M-Audio Q40, the bass boost function along with some drum and bass music are bringing a lot of joy to my ears at the moment. 

The DAC part, however, could use a bit more refinement. A bit sibilant and harsh on some tracks. Vocals sound digital-y, if that makes any sense. 

I want to spend as much time with it as I can prior to writing the review, just to make sure everything settles in. 

Also: The unit stacks up really well with my LG G4 
smile_phones.gif

Jul 2, 2015 at 1:07 AM Post #59 of 120
If you're thinking C5DAC, and what to stack with it, there's exciting news to report on the N5 DAP project. Check out the product updates from Cayin HERE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back