new Pioneer flagship? SE-MJ591
Jun 14, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #17 of 49
There's an in-depth review of  the Pioneer SE-MJ591 cans on the Audioholics website, dated May 20, 2012.  Tom Andry, one of the principals of Audioholics, genuinely liked them based on their sound, but found that for him, they were most uncomfortable to wear for any length of time; were it not for their wearing discomfort, he would have put them at the very pinnacle of all cans he's ever tested, describing their sound as being like really high quality electrostatic loudspeakers.  It's certainly worth a look.  I think the Pioneers are available from B & H stateside.

Jun 14, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #19 of 49
There's an in-depth review of  the Pioneer SE-MJ591 cans on the Audioholics website, dated May 20, 2012.  Tom Andry, one of the principals of Audioholics, genuinely liked them based on their sound, but found that for him, they were most uncomfortable to wear for any length of time; were it not for their wearing discomfort, he would have put them at the very pinnacle of all cans he's ever tested, describing their sound as being like really high quality electrostatic loudspeakers.  It's certainly worth a look.  I think the Pioneers are available from B & H stateside.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll give it a look.

Jun 14, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #21 of 49
Here's the marking material on the 591 in PDF.

Product Sheet

Pictures & measurements 

http://en.goldenears.net/index.php?mid=GR_Headphones&search_target=title&search_keyword=pioneer&page=1&listStyle=webzine&document_srl=10553

http://en.goldenears.net/index.php?mid=GR_Headphones&search_target=title&search_keyword=pioneer&page=1&listStyle=webzine&document_srl=10587

Jun 15, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #22 of 49
40kHz?  Clearly there's a Pioneer engineer out that that has always lamented over his pet bat's inability to hear some really good tunes.

Still, I guess it paid off.  "Before I go any further, let me say that the Pioneer SE-MJ591 headphones are, without a doubt, the best headphones I've ever experienced. Bar none."  I guess Andry likes it.

Jun 20, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #23 of 49
Quote:
I bought one NEW for $150 so I think it's worth a lookie.
smily_headphones1.gif

No unboxing for these?

Jun 20, 2012 at 7:38 PM Post #25 of 49
Interested in hearing about your impressions of this.  In general I like these - but I have had the hardest time trying to pin down the signature.  It seems to morph quite a bit from genre to genre and even song to song.  Case in point, I had an interesting flashback experience with these earlier today.

I should explain that I've seen Captain EO an ungodly number of times.  Having been born and bred in SoCal, I've served as an unofficial host to all things SoCal for visiting family an friends from out of town.  That included Disneyland.  In addition, we had friends in high school that worked at Disneyland and got us in for free.  So there were entire summers where Disneyland supplanted the local mall as a hangout.  I lost count at 137 visits to that place.  Anyway, I have a fairly good recollection of what Captain EO sounded like in their theatre.

So I was listening to "Another Part of Me" (off of The Essential Michael Jackson - which I personally prefer over Immortal) through the SE-MJ591 today, and it took me right back to the theater.  Aside from the LF not being as pronounced and tight as I remember, everything else was pretty spot on (minus some crossfeed to simulate the original theater's surround system).

Its funny how we remember the oddest things in life...

Jun 23, 2012 at 12:53 AM Post #26 of 49
BTW, it's Friday. 
smile.gif

Jun 23, 2012 at 3:37 PM Post #28 of 49
Heading on over to the new thread...

Aug 30, 2012 at 9:33 PM Post #29 of 49
How disappointing. I want the old Pioneer back, back when they were making piezoelectric headphones and awesome stereo receivers :frowning2:

Aug 30, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #30 of 49
Quote:
How disappointing. I want the old Pioneer back, back when they were making piezoelectric headphones and awesome stereo receivers :frowning2:

FWIW, Pioneer does have another pair of "audiophile" headphones, the SE-A1000, that I rather like.  I don't know if I would call it "audiophile" grade myself, but it's sounds great for certain genres (rock in particular).  Not too many mentions of that one either, but I enjoy that WAAYYY more than I do the SE-MJ591. 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back