[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Nov 21, 2012 at 4:17 PM Post #468 of 5,962
Quote:
Yeah I use mostly my Dell XPS 15z + Spotify premium to play the music, but soon I have to study in another part of the city (+1 hour bus driving every day), so I guess I will also start to use my Android phone again (extra points for E17!)
 But the thing that scares me mostly away from e17 is that some of the reviews on amazon describes poor quality of the product, like in 1 day it just shuts down and won't work again... is it a common issue for e17 ?

Actually E17 does not work with androids, it has a bug in the USB descriptor.

Nov 21, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #469 of 5,962
Quote:
But the thing that scares me mostly away from e17 is that some of the reviews on amazon describes poor quality of the product, like in 1 day it just shuts down and won't work again... is it a common issue for e17 ?

My E17 has shut down like this once but started again by simply holding down the reset button for a while.

Nov 21, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #470 of 5,962
Quote:
Actually E17 does not work with androids, it has a bug in the USB descriptor.

Wait what? You mean the fully digital USB audio doesn't work or what? Why not use the standard headphone jack.

Nov 22, 2012 at 3:46 AM Post #471 of 5,962
Quote:
Wait what? You mean the fully digital USB audio doesn't work or what? Why not use the standard headphone jack.

jip. 

For 2 reasons, firstly the bug in the E17s descriptor. The E7 does work. 
And secondly, mobile devices are only made to output 100mA of current, and most DACs need more, the ODAC needs 125mA, so that means a powered hub or something.

But no, E17 won't work. thats why they are making the E18.

And the headphone jack is kak. seriously. The Sammy isn't ultra ****, but the E7 is still a notable improvement. So I wouldn't bother

Nov 22, 2012 at 4:39 AM Post #472 of 5,962
Quote:
jip. 

For 2 reasons, firstly the bug in the E17s descriptor. The E7 does work. 
And secondly, mobile devices are only made to output 100mA of current, and most DACs need more, the ODAC needs 125mA, so that means a powered hub or something.

But no, E17 won't work. thats why they are making the E18.

And the headphone jack is kak. seriously. The Sammy isn't ultra ****, but the E7 is still a notable improvement. So I wouldn't bother

Interesting. Thanks for the info. Seems like I have to subscribe to those FiiO E18 (and E12) threads.

Nov 23, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #473 of 5,962
If anyone from the US is interested in a brand new X1 i can offer a forwarding service, as long the amazon.it offer is still standing. It should end up at around 330-350$ shipped/paypaled. PM me for details.

Nov 28, 2012 at 10:03 AM Post #476 of 5,962
[size=10pt]Hi, people, I am a new owner of the X1 and I thought of throwing my 2 cents here. I am no audiophile, just a guy who likes music and headphones, so get this with a grain of salt. The X1 sound is growing on me everyday, I don't know if it is open up or if I am get used to its signature. Seems that the soundstage is getting bigger, what I love. It is now my favorite can for Electronic Music, but I still prefer my Sennheiser HD 598 for Jazz (I will continue to test the X1 with some other Jazz albums though). X1 is great for movies, certainly. [/size]

[size=10pt]The construction is fantastic and it is a beautiful phone; feel more expensive that it is. On par with the Fidelio L1, that I also have. I have to praise Philips for this Fidelio line of cans. Before I would not trust Philips as a “music brand” but now it has raised my perception on the quality of their products very much. [/size]

[size=10pt]On the issue of “big heads”, I must say that I have a freakish big head (my own mother used to call me “Mr. Humpty Dumpty” until some years ago) and the X1 still fits me. Actually, I measure 47 cm from bottom lobe to bottom lobe and the X1 still fits, but it is in the limit, any bigger head and would be problematic. But I guess one could still tilt the headphone backwards so it could fit even bigger heads.[/size]

[size=10pt]OK, is not a very “scientific” set of observations, but that was what I had to contribute for now.[/size]

[size=10pt]Cheers to all.[/size]

Nov 28, 2012 at 11:45 AM Post #477 of 5,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by rixlbg /img/forum/go_quote.gif

[size=10pt]On the issue of “big heads”, I must say that I have a freakish big head (my own mother used to call me “Mr. Humpty Dumpty” until some years ago) and the X1 still fits me. Actually, I measure 47 cm from bottom lobe to bottom lobe and the X1 still fits, but it is in the limit, any bigger head and would be problematic. But I guess one could still tilt the headphone backwards so it could fit even bigger heads.[/size]

I measured myself and got 45 cm again. I guess it could be +-2cm depending on what kind of measurement tape you use, I have a small metal one (but it bends well).

If you don't mind X1's at the extreme limit, you must have really high tolerance for uncomfort and/or never used comfortable phones.
biggrin.gif
It really was a deal breaker for me. I suggest anyone with a large head buying them with return option.

Nov 28, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #478 of 5,962
Quote:

I measured myself and got 45 cm again. I guess it could be +-2cm depending on what kind of measurement tape you use, I have a small metal one (but it bends well).

If you don't mind X1's at the extreme limit, you must have really high tolerance for uncomfort and/or never used comfortable phones.
biggrin.gif
It really was a deal breaker for me. I suggest anyone with a large head buying them with return option.

[size=9pt]You really make a good point, maybe I never used really comfortable phones or I am the 'Headphone Fakir'!
smily_headphones1.gif
(hey, maybe I should change my username to it)  My only "serious" phones are the X1, the Fidelio L1 and the Sennheiser HD 598, and the 598 is more comfortable than the X1. Don't hold me on that and assure buying with return option, certainly.  
[/size]

[size=9pt]Greetings![/size]

Nov 28, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #479 of 5,962
Quote:
[size=9pt]You really make a good point, maybe I never used really comfortable phones or I am the 'Headphone Fakir'!
smily_headphones1.gif
(hey, maybe I should change my username to it)  My only "serious" phones are the X1, the Fidelio L1 and the Sennheiser HD 598, and the 598 is more comfortable than the X1. Don't hold me on that and assure buying with return option, certainly.  
[/size]

[size=9pt]Greetings![/size]

Comparing the x1 with the l1, which one is more comfortable for you? and why?

Nov 28, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #480 of 5,962
@TOWWERS:  In general, without using my 'Headphone Fakir' powers, I would classify both as comfortable for normal use. For long use, I would say the X1 is more comfortable because the L1 clamps a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back