[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Nov 18, 2012 at 3:04 PM Post #437 of 5,962
Quote:
Just played a bit with the X1 today, and I am impressed. The stock cable definitely need to be changed, I still can't understand why the manufacturers are saving the cost in this sort of vital stuff? The connector is regular 3.5mm jack, win.

It has a very friendly and balance sound, and I find it hard to not compare it with the Sennheiser HD650. While the 650 has a special place in my heart, I have to say that it has, in some aspects, noticeably better than the 650.

Hello AlfredWong,
Can I ask, why do you think the cable of the X1 should be changed, what, do you think, is wrong with it? It does not seem to be a 'cheap' cable (in my opinion). What should be a good replacement cable for it?
Thanks.

Nov 18, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #438 of 5,962
I'm totally cool with computer volume control, especially since I have volume buttons on my keyboard. I like the idea of the "digitally controlled analog volume attenuator (the master digital volume slider on the host computer causes the analog circuit inside the HeadStreamer to adjust the volume up or down)". From reviews it sounds like it is implemented well.

The next question is can I hold onto my headphones money until the X1s are out, or will I break down and spend it on something else like perhaps the TMA-1 Studios.

Nov 18, 2012 at 5:11 PM Post #439 of 5,962
Quote:
The next question is can I hold onto my headphones money until the X1s are out, or will I break down and spend it on something else like perhaps the TMA-1 Studios.

If you appreciate bass, I'd be wary of the Studios. Aside from that, I remember reading mostly bad or lukewarm reviews on them as well. I owned the TMA-1's briefly, and thought the sound quality was about that of a <=$50 headphone. Studios could be different, but my confidence isn't exactly inspired.

Nov 18, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #440 of 5,962
Ya I've been getting impatient waiting for these to be released. I started considering the TMA-1 Studio and Beyerdynamic DT 770 LE instead but **** it, I'll tough it out and wait a few more months. These really do seem to be a perfect headphone for me.

Nov 18, 2012 at 7:02 PM Post #441 of 5,962
Quote:

Hello AlfredWong,
Can I ask, why do you think the cable of the X1 should be changed, what, do you think, is wrong with it? It does not seem to be a 'cheap' cable (in my opinion). What should be a good replacement cable for it?
Thanks.

It just happened that I have a 21 awg OCC 3.5 to 3.5 cable (those used to connect source to portable amp) at hand. You need to hear the cable (unscientific!) or cut it open to see the real diameter of it. As long as the material is suitable (copper), thick enough (personally recommend over 24 awg, recommend 18 whenever possible) and durable (good connector, neutrik is best, and durable jacket). Check this out.

While the X1 has many up point, the current design forbit it from being modded to a balanced headphone, I am also very curious about the internal structure of it, and am asking my local distributor to see if I can obtain a demo unit for disassembly.

Nov 19, 2012 at 6:35 AM Post #444 of 5,962
Quote:
Ya I've been getting impatient waiting for these to be released. I started considering the TMA-1 Studio and Beyerdynamic DT 770 LE instead but **** it, I'll tough it out and wait a few more months. These really do seem to be a perfect headphone for me.

I currently own the regular TMA1, its somewhat funny for EDM, but EDM alone... As far as I remember the reviews of the Studio they are not that much different, so I'd avoid them both if you're listening to any other genres...

The DT770 LE is very nice and a good choice of a closed headphone with decent isolation. Which gives you some differentiation from the X1 being an open headphone: they cater to quite different needs I'd say.

Nov 19, 2012 at 6:57 AM Post #445 of 5,962
Quote:
It just happened that I have a 21 awg OCC 3.5 to 3.5 cable (those used to connect source to portable amp) at hand. You need to hear the cable (unscientific!) or cut it open to see the real diameter of it. As long as the material is suitable (copper), thick enough (personally recommend over 24 awg, recommend 18 whenever possible) and durable (good connector, neutrik is best, and durable jacket). Check this out.

While the X1 has many up point, the current design forbit it from being modded to a balanced headphone, I am also very curious about the internal structure of it, and am asking my local distributor to see if I can obtain a demo unit for disassembly.

Thanks!

Nov 19, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #446 of 5,962
hey guys, anyone know anything about this page ? http://www.zercom.eu/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=240939
185 euro sounds cheap, almost too cheap... wondering if something is wrong ?

Nov 19, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #448 of 5,962
thanks man, looks like I need to contact a friend in Germany to get them... :) I've heard those headphones got some real powerfull and pleasant base, is that true? Because I listen mostly to liquid dubstep, drum'n'base and hip-hop 

Nov 19, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #449 of 5,962
Quote:
thanks man, looks like I need to contact a friend in Germany to get them... :) I've heard those headphones got some real powerfull and pleasant base, is that true? Because I listen mostly to liquid dubstep, drum'n'base and hip-hop 

You're gonna love the bass. I don't know if your German friend will help You, because the shop is Netherlands/Belgic as I can tell, but maybe they can ship them to Germany. Good luck and let us know about the shipping from them...

Nov 19, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #450 of 5,962
I sent a mail to them today according shipping, here is the answer:
"Thank you for the email. 
We do not ship to Denmark, only Germany, Belgium and the Netherlands."
I am out of money this month, but if they won't sell those beauties out, I will get them next friday ;") and leave my opinion about the product here!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back