[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Feb 14, 2017 at 6:23 PM Post #5,851 of 5,962
What happened? Amp faulty?
And what headphone did you choose to replace the X1?

A surge most likely, the drivers just suddenly cracked. The speaker amp I use as well as it's headphone socket are fine, but have since bought a headphone amp and connected it to the line/recording out of the stereo amp. I bought a UPS with AVR and surge protection, a cheap one but it does the job and makes no noise. 
   Currently enjoying two headphones at home, the Koss Porta Pros and Sennheiser PX-100 II. Very happy with those and I'm loving the sound, but I'm planning to purchase something serious within a month or two, especially since I'm going back to making a bit of music of my own. My top candidates right now are the HD 600 and R70X, with the K712 Pro and SRH 1440 also in contention.
   Thanks for the curiosity. :)

Feb 15, 2017 at 1:31 AM Post #5,852 of 5,962
   A surge most likely, the drivers just suddenly cracked. The speaker amp I use as well as it's headphone socket are fine, but have since bought a headphone amp and connected it to the line/recording out of the stereo amp. I bought a UPS with AVR and surge protection, a cheap one but it does the job and makes no noise. 
   Currently enjoying two headphones at home, the Koss Porta Pros and Sennheiser PX-100 II. Very happy with those and I'm loving the sound, but I'm planning to purchase something serious within a month or two, especially since I'm going back to making a bit of music of my own. My top candidates right now are the HD 600 and R70X, with the K712 Pro and SRH 1440 also in contention.
   Thanks for the curiosity. :)

Well, i love my X1 so much and i dont want the driver to blow up, so i gotta now the cause.
Ooh, the 470ohm R70x. I hear much good thing bout it, tho it's kinda hard to drive.

Feb 15, 2017 at 5:52 PM Post #5,856 of 5,962
So not all that hard. The HD600 isn't terribly difficult to drive as some might have you believe.
there is a difference between being driven, and being driven well, if all you are after is volume / power, agreed, if you're after dynamics, then no, I disagree.

Feb 15, 2017 at 6:27 PM Post #5,857 of 5,962
there is a difference between being driven, and being driven well, if all you are after is volume / power, agreed, if you're after dynamics, then no, I disagree.

I can agree with you to an extent. A phone will give adequate volume, but you're right in that it won't give the same dynamicism. So I'd say my statement isn't correct without elaboration, but it definitely isn't wrong. Plus, "driven" is a loaded descriptor; it changes definition depending on who you're talking to. I liken "drive" to refer to ability to output at adequate volume without distortion. Once we start talking about dynamics, we start straying into talking about "pairing" IMO. But in your definition of "drive", those bundle together in which case you're certainly correct, there's a difference in being driven and being driven well. But as far as I'm concerned, the HD600 isn't terribly difficult to drive in the sense that you don't have to buy a $600+ tube amp to make it sound good as some on this site would have you believe. If you have a decent dedicated amp to plug your headphones in, there's a pretty good chance you can drive an HD600 or R70X just fine.

If you see things a different way, then so be it. Neither of us are really wrong.

Feb 17, 2017 at 4:14 AM Post #5,858 of 5,962
thanks for the reply, I'm also curious of planar magnetic types, does anyone here have both the Hifiman 400i(late model, one that doesnt need modding) and the X1, how do they compare in tonality and overall sound quality? any honest and non biased opinion anyone?

I already have an X1 but can't compare it with the hd400i in my area.

Feb 23, 2017 at 7:40 AM Post #5,861 of 5,962
I could probably find something to replace it with. Any advice on taking these things apart? The pins don't seem like they're intended to be removed. Squeezing them with needle nose pliers maybe? I don't want to just go straight to brute force in case I make it worse.

Mar 11, 2017 at 1:55 PM Post #5,863 of 5,962
Recently got rid of my Fidelio X2's because I couldn't stand the treble on those and I wasn't planning on buying another Fidelio, but I got a great deal on these. These sound much more natural in the treble for me. The bass is also much more satisfying and it pairs wonderfully with the xDuoo XD-05.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back