[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Dec 14, 2016 at 2:39 PM Post #5,822 of 5,962
  The drivers in my X1s have blown due to an electrical issue, how can I go about replacing them?

Did you purchase recently enough to have some sort of warranty or something? I'm not sure how you'd really go about it since the X1s are discontinued. Shame really, great set of headphones, I'm still not sure to this day about if I made the right choice in selling them.

Dec 14, 2016 at 5:08 PM Post #5,823 of 5,962
  Did you purchase recently enough to have some sort of warranty or something? I'm not sure how you'd really go about it since the X1s are discontinued. Shame really, great set of headphones, I'm still not sure to this day about if I made the right choice in selling them.

Yeah, a big shame. Unfortunately the warranty has expired. 

I just ordered a pair of Senns PX 100-IIs, they seemed like the only decent thing to "fit" within my already overblown Christmas budget. Right now listening to the awesome Porta Pros and switching them between the HiFi and Mac (they're the computer pair). I'll get a full sized set of cans at a later date, maybe the ATH 500X (I know the signature is very different and the European prices on the Audio Technicas are painful but the openness and comfort attract me). This accident has put me off buying a more expensive pair.

C'est la vie, and thanks for the reply.

Dec 14, 2016 at 6:58 PM Post #5,824 of 5,962
  Yeah, a big shame. Unfortunately the warranty has expired. 

I just ordered a pair of Senns PX 100-IIs, they seemed like the only decent thing to "fit" within my already overblown Christmas budget. Right now listening to the awesome Porta Pros and switching them between the HiFi and Mac (they're the computer pair). I'll get a full sized set of cans at a later date, maybe the ATH 500X (I know the signature is very different and the European prices on the Audio Technicas are painful but the openness and comfort attract me). This accident has put me off buying a more expensive pair.

C'est la vie, and thanks for the reply.

Good luck. If you really find you're looking for the X1 exactly, then maybe keep an eye on the FS/FT forum. Every so often the X1 will pop up.

Dec 15, 2016 at 7:38 AM Post #5,826 of 5,962
They are keepers for sure! Getting quite rarity actually (ppl don`t want to give them away for FS forum) ;P

Dec 23, 2016 at 8:48 AM Post #5,827 of 5,962
I thought I will be blown away by the sound of Fidelio X1 during my first listen. Maybe my expectations were set so high because I am listening currently to Sennheiser HD 600. The vocals prowess of HD 600 is special. And I am only using it with a cheap Fiio E9 amp. The Fidelio X1 runs few hours as of this time so making generalizations is premature. However, these are my early impressions. X1 has a sense of balance, highs, mids, and bass. Though there are times that bass is prominent but not yet very significant as of this time. The mids of HD 600 is on top most of time while bass for X1. Soundstage is somewhat similar as of this time though I am seeing that X1 will put out a bigger one.

The lesson I learned today is, headphones are also unique like human beings. Yes, there are times for similarities however there will always be differences.

Burn in continues...

Dec 23, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #5,828 of 5,962
I thought I will be blown away by the sound of Fidelio X1 during my first listen. Maybe my expectations were set so high because I am listening currently to Sennheiser HD 600. The vocals prowess of HD 600 is special. And I am only using it with a cheap Fiio E9 amp. The Fidelio X1 runs few hours as of this time so making generalizations is premature. However, these are my early impressions. X1 has a sense of balance, highs, mids, and bass. Though there are times that bass is prominent but not yet very significant as of this time. The mids of HD 600 is on top most of time while bass for X1. Soundstage is somewhat similar as of this time though I am seeing that X1 will put out a bigger one.

The lesson I learned today is, headphones are also unique like human beings. Yes, there are times for similarities however there will always be differences.

Burn in continues...

For me, the X1 had a much larger sound stage than the HD600 (which is no slouch, but not exactly top tier either). The X1 is also the bassiest open headphone I've listened to. Quite a good thing since open headphones tend to be lacking in that category to me.

Dec 23, 2016 at 2:37 PM Post #5,829 of 5,962

Burn in continues...

For me, the X1 had a much larger sound stage than the HD600 (which is no slouch, but not exactly top tier either). The X1 is also the bassiest open headphone I've listened to. Quite a good thing since open headphones tend to be lacking in that category to me.

Yeah, I'd say the 600 can best the X1 in several places, but soundstage wouldn't be one of them. What you're getting with the Fidelio series is more musicality than neutrality. The X2 is a bit better in the air and transparency area with a sig closer to neutral, which should remind you more of the Sennies, but neither the X1 or X2 is going to give you what the HD600 does best. One is a reference headphone where the other is more of a lush, and warm sound.

Dec 23, 2016 at 6:51 PM Post #5,830 of 5,962
I've had some pretty nasty driver balance issues with my X2 already. Therefore I'm wondering if going to the X1 is worth it. I don't care about glued-on pads (if I really needed to replace them I think I got enough skill for that), and I would use my own aux cable anyway, so the impedance doesn't matter. Is there anything else that makes these a downgrade to the X2?

Dec 23, 2016 at 7:58 PM Post #5,831 of 5,962
I've had some pretty nasty driver balance issues with my X2 already. Therefore I'm wondering if going to the X1 is worth it. I don't care about glued-on pads (if I really needed to replace them I think I got enough skill for that), and I would use my own aux cable anyway, so the impedance doesn't matter. Is there anything else that makes these a downgrade to the X2?

The X2 seem more sensitive and a bit brighter than the X1 (using the same 3rd party cable). The X1 also has a more recessed lower midrange than the X2. Bass is tighter and overall clarity is better in the X2. Overall they're very similar with the X2 being more refined. I would agree that the X2 is the better headphone overall, though the X1 seems to have less issues. Differences are slight, so you may end up liking the X1 just as well. If you like your sound closer to neutral with a bit of warmth, the X2 is better. If you just want a nice, fun open headphone, the X1 would be a great choice.

Dec 23, 2016 at 8:07 PM Post #5,832 of 5,962
  The X2 seem more sensitive and a bit brighter than the X1 (using the same 3rd party cable). The X1 also has a more recessed lower midrange than the X2. Bass is tighter and overall clarity is better in the X2. Overall they're very similar with the X2 being more refined. I would agree that the X2 is the better headphone overall, though the X1 seems to have less issues. Differences are slight, so you may end up liking the X1 just as well. If you like your sound closer to neutral with a bit of warmth, the X2 is better. If you just want a nice, fun open headphone, the X1 would be a great choice.

So I take it the X1 is better for people who dig V-shaped sound signatures for metal and stuff?

Dec 23, 2016 at 8:19 PM Post #5,834 of 5,962
  Depends on the type of metal. I would say the X2 is better for faster metal. The X1 is boomier and slower in the low end so it works best for EDM and similar type stuff. 

Across the spectrum, though I'd consider myself moving more towards stuff with a ton of double bass, stuff like Power Metal. I do listen to just about any metal genre depending on the mood though, so that's hard to classify. I also play FPS a lot and like me a good rumble when things explode around my head. I also wouldn't rule out listening to EDM from time to time.

Looks like I'm sticking to my X2's though, if the answer isn't a finger-snapping "these!". If I had a side-by-side comparison I could tell in detail, but since the X1's have been discontinued from Amazon (at least where I live) I cannot just order them both and send the other back after first-hand testing.

Jan 8, 2017 at 3:36 AM Post #5,835 of 5,962
I think Fidelio X1 is also bang for the buck at $160. I paid so less for a more quality sound with a bass on top. Though I am on Sennheiser HD600 camp, I need to know the maximum potential of this headphone. Burn in continuous...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back