[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Jan 8, 2017 at 8:53 AM Post #5,836 of 5,962
I thought I will be blown away by the sound of Fidelio X1 during my first listen. Maybe my expectations were set so high because I am listening currently to Sennheiser HD 600. The vocals prowess of HD 600 is special. And I am only using it with a cheap Fiio E9 amp. The Fidelio X1 runs few hours as of this time so making generalizations is premature. However, these are my early impressions. X1 has a sense of balance, highs, mids, and bass. Though there are times that bass is prominent but not yet very significant as of this time. The mids of HD 600 is on top most of time while bass for X1. Soundstage is somewhat similar as of this time though I am seeing that X1 will put out a bigger one.

The lesson I learned today is, headphones are also unique like human beings. Yes, there are times for similarities however there will always be differences.

Burn in continues...

I've had some pretty nasty driver balance issues with my X2 already. Therefore I'm wondering if going to the X1 is worth it. I don't care about glued-on pads (if I really needed to replace them I think I got enough skill for that), and I would use my own aux cable anyway, so the impedance doesn't matter. Is there anything else that makes these a downgrade to the X2?

Swapping pads on X1 is pretty easy (I`ve removed my X1 pads many times and even washed them). Also getting different pads is quite easy (DT-880 for example).

So I take it the X1 is better for people who dig V-shaped sound signatures for metal and stuff?

Depends on the type of metal. I would say the X2 is better for faster metal. The X1 is boomier and slower in the low end so it works best for EDM and similar type stuff. 

I think Fidelio X1 is also bang for the buck at $160. I paid so less for a more quality sound with a bass on top. Though I am on Sennheiser HD600 camp, I need to know the maximum potential of this headphone. Burn in continuous...

X1 "boominess & slow" goes away when You introduce them to neutral sounding AMP (~500mA juice is enough) (or DAC) and use low impedance 3rd party cable.
X1 edge over X2 is slightly larger soundstage (especially in frontal depth) and more musical sound (depends from source gear and amping though).

Jan 13, 2017 at 4:02 PM Post #5,840 of 5,962
This is my new favorite open headphone for music listening. Soundstage very open and wide and the sound quite neutral across the frequency map with very nice mids, and a nice bass boost. Treble is also there but non-fatiguing, really excellent from lows to highs! I do listen quite a bit of trance/electronic music so maybe I'm biased a bit since the HP sounds extra good with those genres, but it sounds very good with every genre I think, because of that neutral sound and wide soundstage.
Oh, and wonderful design and good comfort, which makes it extra impressive. This open headphone has got the whole package! Go Philips!

Jan 24, 2017 at 6:59 AM Post #5,841 of 5,962
I thought I will dismiss Fidelio X1 in favor of Sennheiser HD600. It is not yet happening this time. There is also magic with this headphone. Yes, there is balance across highs, mids, with a bit of emphasis on bass. The emphasis produces full sounding music . Lately, I enjoy listening with Michael Bubble music. The instruments behind Bubble's is also a great experience. Plus, the vocals are not recessed even when compared to HD600. It is perfectly balanced. The bass contributes to the fun factor. Now, I am enjoying two high quality headphones, Sennheiser HD 600 and Philips Fidelio X1. One more happiness is Fidelio X1 costs one-half the price of HD600. Simply living below the means. Let me tell you that I am reaching my Fidelio X1 for Bubble's music than my HD 600.

Jan 24, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #5,842 of 5,962
I thought I will dismiss Fidelio X1 in favor of Sennheiser HD600. It is not yet happening this time. There is also magic with this headphone. Yes, there is balance across highs, mids, with a bit of emphasis on bass. The emphasis produces full sounding music . Lately, I enjoy listening with Michael Bubble music. The instruments behind Bubble's is also a great experience. Plus, the vocals are not recessed even when compared to HD600. It is perfectly balanced. The bass contributes to the fun factor. Now, I am enjoying two high quality headphones, Sennheiser HD 600 and Philips Fidelio X1. One more happiness is Fidelio X1 costs one-half the price of HD600. Simply living below the means. Let me tell you that I am reaching my Fidelio X1 for Bubble's music than my HD 600.

The X1 was my complement to my HD600. They do different things. I eventually sold off the X1 not because I decided to stick with the HD600 instead (though I do of course still have my Senn), but because I replaced it with the TH-X00.

Jan 29, 2017 at 9:45 PM Post #5,843 of 5,962
Spent a couple weeks now with the X1, mainly just listening to music. The sound is indeed fairly balanced, although I did notice a very slight "rough" edge to the sound, as in, it could've been a little more "rounded" overall. Maybe it's because of that very slight v-shape. But it's barely noticeable, it's still a balanced sound overall. Bass is not really boomy and is quite punchy. You also get a nice big soundstage with pretty good depth.
A problem I think is a lack of dynamism, everything feels just a little stale sounding sometimes. Sometimes it can sound engaging too, thanks to the airy soundstage and good bass. In terms of detail reproduction, it's decent but it can't quite compete with for example the classic-trio headphones. It probably has a more enjoyable sound than some of those headphones though, and if you're not a music professional and don't care about hearing all the details clearly the X1 is probably the better choice for pure listening pleasure.

I'll probably sell mine, to try some more detailed/refined ones that are at the same time fairy enjoyable sounding, so not too clinical or analytical.. Thinking maybe the K712 or one of those new Beyers (although they're quite expensive). I see people comparing X1 to the HD600 and I'd probably prefer to keep the X1 from those two, because it's more enjoyable sounding for just listening to music (I probably do prefer the 650 over the X1 though).

Jan 30, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #5,844 of 5,962
  Spent a couple weeks now with the X1, mainly just listening to music. The sound is indeed fairly balanced, although I did notice a very slight "rough" edge to the sound, as in, it could've been a little more "rounded" overall. Maybe it's because of that very slight v-shape. But it's barely noticeable, it's still a balanced sound overall. Bass is not really boomy and is quite punchy. You also get a nice big soundstage with pretty good depth.
A problem I think is a lack of dynamism, everything feels just a little stale sounding sometimes. Sometimes it can sound engaging too, thanks to the airy soundstage and good bass. In terms of detail reproduction, it's decent but it can't quite compete with for example the classic-trio headphones. It probably has a more enjoyable sound than some of those headphones though, and if you're not a music professional and don't care about hearing all the details clearly the X1 is probably the better choice for pure listening pleasure.

I'll probably sell mine, to try some more detailed/refined ones that are at the same time fairy enjoyable sounding, so not too clinical or analytical.. Thinking maybe the K712 or one of those new Beyers (although they're quite expensive). I see people comparing X1 to the HD600 and I'd probably prefer to keep the X1 from those two, because it's more enjoyable sounding for just listening to music (I probably do prefer the 650 over the X1 though).

I'll at least say to not get the K7XX if you don't want clinical/analytical cuz that's what those sounded like to me. Good set of headphones, but wasn't what I was looking for. Not sure how far off that is from what the K712 sounds like though.

Jan 31, 2017 at 6:04 PM Post #5,845 of 5,962
  I'll at least say to not get the K7XX if you don't want clinical/analytical cuz that's what those sounded like to me. Good set of headphones, but wasn't what I was looking for. Not sure how far off that is from what the K712 sounds like though.

Yeah, for me I like flat frequency response but open headphones gotta have some enjoyment in the sound too as i purchase them mainly for sitting back and enjoying music. Good to know about the K7xx. K712 I spent a day with once, they weren't cold or analytical imo, they were nice sounding without overdoing anything. Still maybe a little too much highs but less than other AKGs I guess. I might look at them again. R70x I'm looking at too, never heard that one but is supposed to be also fairly flat sounding but not boring.

Feb 5, 2017 at 3:16 AM Post #5,846 of 5,962
One good thing about Philips Fidelio X1 is that it sounds so good without the aid of an amplifier. I remember this kind of characteristics too with Grado SR60. Music from Youtube is a pleasure with X1.

It was a good decision that I did not dismiss this Fidelio X1.

Feb 13, 2017 at 4:46 AM Post #5,849 of 5,962
Valiente's Advice: Never try to judge Fidelio X1 on its first few hours, you will be disappointed. After 50 to 100 hours of playing, it is the best time. Beautiful music flows from Fidelio X1 after great number of hours played already. Let the drivers loose first. Now, I am loving my X1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back