[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Jul 14, 2014 at 3:43 PM Post #4,741 of 5,962
Did you just state the M100 would even remotely sound as good as the X1s or even surpass it? Oo
Because if you did, i find you must have a fairly deranged perception of good sound, the M100 is the best bass head can (Only rivaled by Denon D600, or the Beyerdynamic COP), but compared to the X1 it sound bassy, unbalanced and artificial, it may be the better choice if you ONLY listen to electronic music and have no need for naturalness or openness, but as soon as any other genre, may it be Rock, Classic, Metall, Pop, R&B even and any acoustic music, the X1 completely obliterates the M100 or even the complete Denon line for that matter, the Denon D7000 is cloase call i gotta say, but price considered even the D7000 has to back down.... The X1 is in the league of AKG K702,K712,Sennheiser HD6xx and Beyerdynamic DT880 and T90s, the M100 at highest a great bass head alternative to the more "bad" bass headphones you can fin out there such as Beas or Souls by Luda, to me the M100 is a slightly improved Sony MDR XB500 and if you are out for the big bass it truly is what you are looking for, but that is not making it a better sounding headphone, on the contrary, especially considering the X1s are already a pretty bass emphasized headphone for audiophile standards, to me its just about right, maybe a tad less would have done it too, but i cant blame Philips for that, because even with that tad to much bass which isnt really annoying or someting, the phones are a sheer pleasure to listen to and damn neutral going upward from the lower midrange ....

Jul 14, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #4,742 of 5,962
  Did you just state the M100 would even remotely sound as good as the X1s or even surpass it? Oo
Because if you did, i find you must have a fairly deranged perception of good sound, the M100 is the best bass head can (Only rivaled by Denon D600, or the Beyerdynamic COP), but compared to the X1 it sound bassy, unbalanced and artificial, it may be the better choice if you ONLY listen to electronic music and have no need for naturalness or openness, but as soon as any other genre, may it be Rock, Classic, Metall, Pop, R&B even and any acoustic music, the X1 completely obliterates the M100 or even the complete Denon line for that matter, the Denon D7000 is cloase call i gotta say, but price considered even the D7000 has to back down.... The X1 is in the league of AKG K702,K712,Sennheiser HD6xx and Beyerdynamic DT880 and T90s, the M100 at highest a great bass head alternative to the more "bad" bass headphones you can fin out there such as Beas or Souls by Luda, to me the M100 is a slightly improved Sony MDR XB500 and if you are out for the big bass it truly is what you are looking for, but that is not making it a better sounding headphone, on the contrary, especially considering the X1s are already a pretty bass emphasized headphone for audiophile standards, to me its just about right, maybe a tad less would have done it too, but i cant blame Philips for that, because even with that tad to much bass which isnt really annoying or someting, the phones are a sheer pleasure to listen to and damn neutral going upward from the lower midrange ....

You've got me more interested in the X1. They sound like the better headphones for electronic (I love EDM with dynamics and all.. so pretty much the old stuff). Perhaps AlanMcJ's definition of sounding better is 'more bass'/bass quantity? I live with a sub-crazy basshead so I know where that comes from. I guess a lot of today's electronic is served best under bassy equipment.

Jul 14, 2014 at 5:04 PM Post #4,743 of 5,962
They sound like the better headphones for electronic

For what it counts, I listen mostly Progressive/Alternative/Djent/Metal/Rock/Darkjazz with X1 and I absolutely love it! Of course, depends on source & rest of setup also. Btw, iBasso DX50 with Sound Unlocked 1.2.2 FW + medium gain sounds awesome too ;P

Jul 14, 2014 at 6:10 PM Post #4,744 of 5,962
I have had mine for a month.  I love them, closest to my he400, X1 has much better bass.  It goes deep when you need it.  It can be over amped with my emotiva xda 2 and Oynko Integra.  Sometimes I forget that they are on.  I have a big head and should try bending it like Tyle, with them fully exteded they are fine.  Bass does not extend like JVC77 but is better than UE6000.  Vocals are realistic. Can be sparkly like my MDRsa 3000.  Get them if you can, I had to get mine sent by a awsome dude from California, via Canada audio traders (160can shiped).  Amazon seems to have a lock on all older Philips goods.  Peace

Jul 14, 2014 at 7:21 PM Post #4,745 of 5,962
I'm hesitant to say it, but I think the folks saying that the Fidelio X1 could use an amp had a point. I reinstalled my Xonar DG and I notice an increase in the sub bass - with some songs, of course. Because I'm rather objectivist, I'm going to A/B this with the onboard later. Naturally, if people say the bass improves upon changing the source/amp, my ears are going to focus on the bass.

Jul 15, 2014 at 2:56 AM Post #4,746 of 5,962
I just reviewed these + 7 other cans in a thread found here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/726848/headphone-palooza-shoot-out-8-cans-reviewed-here. I've commented on these before, and my views haven't changed much, but I thought y'all would find this interesting. Tl;dr... the X1's aren't my thing, but I respect them.

Jul 15, 2014 at 4:06 AM Post #4,747 of 5,962
jodgey4, did You use stock X1 cable while comparing? For me and my setup changing to custom low-impedance cable made noticeable difference - tighter, clearer more balanced and accurate. Stock cable has very vary quality:

Quote:

Just received my X1s yesterday. The first thing I did was check the resistance of the stock cable. I have the V-Moda cable from my M100s to use as a reference. Rather than blindly follow what Tyll said, I decided to measure the cable resistance using my trusty DMM myself. Here's what I found:

Stock Cable:
ground to ground  - 0.8 ohms
ground to terminal 1 loop - 1.5 ohms
ground to terminal 2 loop - 1.7 ohms
ground - terminal 1 through left driver - 33.5 ohms
ground - terminal 2 through right driver - 34 ohms

V-Moda cable
ground to ground  - 0.6 ohms
ground to terminal 1 loop - 1.4 ohms
ground to terminal 2 loop - 1.8 ohms
ground - terminal 1 through left driver - 33 ohms
ground - terminal 2 through right driver - 34.5 ohms

From my findings, clearly, there is little to no difference between the resistance of the stock cable and the cable from V-Moda. I'm not sure if Tyll got an early production unit of the X1s or if I'm just lucky or if Philips has changed the cables on recent models. As for sonic differences, there are none, both through my ODAC+O2 combo and through my ODAC+WA3 combo.

I would suggest you carry out your own tests on the cables and see what you find. Just remember to subtract the lead resistance from your readings. For example, while measuring the ground to ground resistance, I got a reading of 1.8 ohm. The resistance of the leads is 1 ohm in series with 0.8 ohms of the cable. So the actual resistance of just the cable is 1.8 - 1 = 0.8 ohms.

Hope this helps.

Bought it from forum member conquerator2 but I have documents and purchase date is 05-12-2013 and according to Philips webpage it`s manufactured in 2012 
(it actually says presented in 2012).

I took out X1 box again and measured stock cable again:

ground to terminal 1 through left driver - 34.6
ground to terminal 2 through right driver - 35.3
ground to ground = 2.3
terminal 1 to terminal 1 (right channel) = 2.4
terminal 2 to terminal 2 (left channel) = 2.3

I changed it to self-made Van Damme Pro Grade Classic XKE Pro-Patch cable (smaller OD), terminated with Neutrik Rean gold 3.5mm and Neutrik 6.35mm jacks.

ground to terminal 1 through left driver - 31.6
ground to terminal 2 through right driver - 32.2
ground to ground = 0.8
terminal 1 to terminal 1 (right channel) = 0.9
terminal 2 to terminal 2 (left channel) = 0.9

Difference between cables:

ground to terminal 1 through left driver = 3 
ground to terminal 2 through right driver = 3.1
ground to ground = 1.5
terminal 1 to terminal 1 (right channel) = 1.5
terminal 2 to terminal 2 (left channel) = 1.4

I`m trusting my ears :wink:

Below are ratings of X1 stock cables. I bought this HP from a member here and it is some 6 months old.

The box only mentions the year - 2012. 

X1 Stock Cable:
ground to terminal 1 through left driver - 37.0
ground to terminal 2 through right driver - 37.3
ground to ground = 3.5
terminal 1 to terminal 1 (right channel) = 2.7
terminal 2 to terminal 2 (left channel) = 3.0

Quote:
  Hi,

Mine measures 2.8 ohms, L, R and GND.

Originally Posted by Zombie_X /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I made an upgrade cable using UPOCC wire and the impedance of my cable is .4Ohms. That's a ton less and it sounds better than the stock cable. I get a .2 measurement on the ground, 31Ohms on left, 32Ohms on right. The right channel fluctuates between 31 and 32Ohms,

I do get more bass control though. Everything else is about the same for the headphone. 

Originally Posted by people /img/forum/go_quote.gif

...happen to have been measuring a couple of cables out of curiosity to other day. One of them was a 2m KabelDirect Pro Series from amazon.de, it looks to be the same as the one mentioned above. Measurements are as follows, following your notation for easy comparison:

"KabelDirekt Pro Series Klinkenkabel 2m"

Ground to terminal 1 through left driver - 31.2
Ground to terminal 2 through right driver - 31.7
Ground to ground = 0.8
Terminal 1 to terminal 1 (right channel) = 1.1
Terminal 2 to terminal 2 (left channel) = 1.1

(Measurements were pretty much the same for the "deleyCON" cable that has been mentioned on page 165 of this thread)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoiL /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I`ve been asked how to measure cable impedance. Here is quick pictorial guide how to (right click on image > open in new tab/window to see larger image):

Self-made replacement cable measurements - Van Damme Pro Grade Classic XKE Pro-Patch (smaller OD) + Neutrik Rean gold 3.5mm + Neutrik 6.35mm jacks:

Fidelio X1 stock cable measurements:

And yes, amping also makes noticeable difference. I use them @ +10dB gain with Aune T1 and DX50 also medium gain.

Jul 15, 2014 at 4:34 AM Post #4,748 of 5,962
  the M100 is the best bass head can (Only rivaled by Denon D600, or the Beyerdynamic COP)

The Fostex TH600, TH900 - JVC DX1000 - Final Audio Pandora Hope VI - Perfect Sound Dido - Ultrasone Signature DJ
among other cans are better headphones than M100 - all which can be considered "basshead certified"
evil_smiley.gif

But yes, the Philips X1 would be better than the M100 by a fair bit to my ears as well. 

Jul 15, 2014 at 8:49 AM Post #4,749 of 5,962

You've got me more interested in the X1. They sound like the better headphones for electronic (I love EDM with dynamics and all.. so pretty much the old stuff). Perhaps AlanMcJ's definition of sounding better is 'more bass'/bass quantity? I live with a sub-crazy basshead so I know where that comes from. I guess a lot of today's electronic is served best under bassy equipment.

The X1 sounds like the better headphones for electronic? O__o

I listen a good 95% of electronic music. I own both X1 and M100. No way the X1 sounds better with electronic music. 
I made the comparison to myself, i let my wife and friends make the same comparisionl. No way for real my friend.

There are songs were the X1 sound better. Less fatiquing probably. A BIT more open and airy. The soundstage is SLIGHTLY larger maybe. That s all. They sound pretty good, especially if you buy a nice amp and u NEED it.

The first time i got the X1 i let my wife try em at max volume and the first thing she said was "Is this the max volume?". Belive me, you really need 1 amp.

The M100 are ALIVE. The bass shakes the cushions and i feel embraced by the sound.

IT s not just about basses. If you think that i m a basshead and i only care about bass quantity you are completly wrong.
Plus it s also about bass QUALITY that is way better in the M100, not just quantity.

That said i cannot suggest to buy the m100 because, as i said, i cant wear em for more then 2 hours without having sore ears.. Maybe with the xl cushions will be better.

That said, you ll be really happy with the X1, i really love mine but remember that a good amp is, imo, absolutly needed. 

I m listening Idina Menzel Let it go right now, just for the sake of comparing. No way some1 can trash the m100 saying that the X1 sounds way better. Don t expect that or you ll be disappointed.

Jul 15, 2014 at 9:12 AM Post #4,750 of 5,962
Again, are You using stock cable and what amp are You using? Also what files and DAC are You using to feed it?
Out of typical iPhone/Android phone - yes, it might not have so good bass quality but with separate DAC + amp + custom cable + lossless files... bass quality is top notch - tight, clear, accurate and littlebit extended. Can`t say word about M100 though, because I don`t have it.

Jul 15, 2014 at 9:17 AM Post #4,751 of 5,962
The cable thing is waaaaay overhyped on this thread. I and many others hear no difference. However I think everyone can agree that amplification can make a difference. I noticed a huge difference between no amp, E17 and LD1+. The LD1+ can make the X1 really sing at even lower volumes, the E17 needs to have the volume turned up to really get the bass going on the X1. Going straight into my iPOD the X1 was ok but is a little lifeless across the frequency spectrum.

Jul 15, 2014 at 10:05 AM Post #4,752 of 5,962
  Again, are You using stock cable and what amp are You using? Also what files and DAC are You using to feed it?
Out of typical iPhone/Android phone - yes, it might not have so good bass quality but with separate DAC + amp + custom cable + lossless files... bass quality is top notch - tight, clear, accurate and littlebit extended. Can`t say word about M100 though, because I don`t have it.

I tried with stock cable and v moda boompro and v moda m100 cables. As i said i own a dragonfly v2 that imo is not enough to run the X1. I also run DFX audio enancher on my windows that helps a lot amping more.
I have flac and 320 files.

As i said the X1 sounds pretty good to me but i prefer the M100 sound on electronic music and every kind of music where there are basses flying around.

The really good thing about the dragonfly is that it makes the X1 cushions shake a bit. That s nice. But the sound is not powerfull enough and imo the X1 needs a stronger amp.

Jul 15, 2014 at 10:06 AM Post #4,753 of 5,962
Very impressed so far. Listening to Music "Pink Floyd" right away can hear a massive amount detail over my last headset "Roccat Kave"
Gaming though is going to take me some time to get used to these. While the audio is so much better on CSGO am having hard time pin point audio after coming from 5.1

Am not giving up though haaa the audio quality over the Kaves is unreal.

Jul 15, 2014 at 10:29 AM Post #4,754 of 5,962
Very impressed so far. Listening to Music "Pink Floyd" right away can hear a massive amount detail over my last headset "Roccat Kave"
Gaming though is going to take me some time to get used to these. While the audio is so much better on CSGO am having hard time pin point audio after coming from 5.1

Am not giving up though haaa the audio quality over the Kaves is unreal.

Did you try the razer surround software? I didnt yet but it may helps..

Jul 15, 2014 at 10:34 AM Post #4,755 of 5,962
Did you try the razer surround software? I didnt yet but it may helps..

Thanks for reply. Not yet but I do have sound card with Dolby Headphone DH1, DH2 and DH3 plus DTS neo PC

Never liked DH because it sounds like you in a hall way. but others have said to use DH1 as this shouldn't give the echo effect as much. How does Razer compare to Dolby?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back