New Oppo BDP-103 & 105 previewed at Cedia
Apr 2, 2013 at 9:14 AM Post #196 of 258
Quote:
I would like to know how the 105 rates as a stand alone DAC. I already own a BDP-93 and an ES9018 based DAC.

I could unload both which would cover a good part of the 105's costs, eliminate one box and a few cables and add a HP amp in the process.

My only concern is that I'm looking for a DAC that has a bit more meat on the bones than my current EE Minimax and I wouldn't want to end up trading four quarters for a dollar(soundwise) - so to speak.

I don't think you aren't going to get more "meat" from the Oppo. Anyway I think it's a mistake to look for a particular sound signature from a DAC. DACs should present what is in the source, nothing more or less.

Sound signature is about speaker choice. Or you could use an equalizer.

Apr 3, 2013 at 11:04 AM Post #197 of 258
Quote:
I would like to know how the 105 rates as a stand alone DAC. I already own a BDP-93 and an ES9018 based DAC.

I could unload both which would cover a good part of the 105's costs, eliminate one box and a few cables and add a HP amp in the process.

My only concern is that I'm looking for a DAC that has a bit more meat on the bones than my current EE Minimax and I wouldn't want to end up trading four quarters for a dollar(soundwise) - so to speak.

I haven't even connected my 105 for any video use yet and use it soley as a balanced dac - at least for the moment. I have a 93 downstairs for video. 
I need to find a proper thunderbolt adapter to connect to my new 27"imac and there doesn't seem to be one yet. So until then...
As a dac only I am more than satisfied/impressed and would heartedly recommend it for the money. The fact that it does so much else video wise just adds to it's value even more. I've bought and sold quite a few dac's around this money (and a couple worth a lot more) and this is my best performing purchase yet - IMO of course.

May 3, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #200 of 258
Quote:
Does the 103 have the same quad-Dac as the 105?

Quote:

No. The price difference between the two is mostly because of the DAC differences.

People shouldn't sell the Cirrus Logic DAC implementation in the BDP-103 short.  It is quite good and most would be more than happy with the BDP-103.  It's uses the same Cirrus DACs found in some of Marantz's higher end SACD/CD players.  No I am not saying it is the same implementation.
smile.gif

May 8, 2013 at 9:29 AM Post #201 of 258
  I have been salivating about owning either a stand alone dac or cd or universal player with the 9018 sabre dac chip set in it ever since the 9018 dac came out. I had briefly auditioned the benchmark hgc 2 and the mytek dac at the axpona chicago show and was pleased with the sound as much as one could tell for such a brief listen. A audiophile friend of mine has a friend that I have met only briefly who bought a bdp 105 about a month ago. My audiophile friend has heard the 105 in his set up and said the 105 sounded promising. So budget be damned I ordered a oppo 105 with the roku streaming stik on monday nite. I got a chance to briefly talk with my friends acquantance who bought the 105 and he said he is pleased with his new machine and that it does need some seasoning before the sound relaxes and gets to a point where it is more listenable. After reading the reviews about the player sounding a bit sharp at first I guess that was what my friends acquantance confirmed.
  So I am finally taking the plunge.Presently I am using a denon 3931 ci universal player and I have made a few tweaks like upgrading the fuse in it to hifi tuning supreme fuse and a couple of different upgraded power cords which I did a couple of years ago.The denon is built like a tank and has been very reliable but it is getting a bit long in tooth and can not play blue ray discs.I bought a inexpensive 3d blue ray player for that but I will probably give it away to a friend after I get the oppo player I will not be needing it anymore. That is the beauty of universal players they definitely save shelf space.
  I am chomping at the bit to get my new player(estimated delivery time saturday may 11th).The 105 is everything one could want in a player that is also a very comprehensive digital hub.I am particularly intersted in the roku streaming from netflix so I can watch my movies on my flat screen display in my living room.Until now I have been watching netflix on my desk top computer monitor.
  I have a Peachtree decco 2 for my desk top system with emotiva airmotiv 5 actives.I have tried the decco 2 as a standalone dac in my living room set up with my big system and it gave a very good account of itself as a standalone dac in that set up.But I bought the decco 2 primarily to upgrade the sound on my desk top from the souncard within my desk top computer. The decco 2 has definitely accomplished that. It has really bumped up the sound especially while watching netflix movies on my computer set up.
   I think eventually I may compare the dac to the bdp 105s dac section once thimgs have settled in with the 105 when I get it.That should be intersting the decco 2s dac though only limited to 96 khz sounds very good in my main rig and probably would give many higher priced out board dacs a run for their money.

May 8, 2013 at 9:38 AM Post #202 of 258
Quote:
  I have been salivating about owning either a stand alone dac or cd or universal player with the 9018 sabre dac chip set in it ever since the 9018 dac came out. I had briefly auditioned the benchmark hgc 2 and the mytek dac at the axpona chicago show and was pleased with the sound as much as one could tell for such a brief listen. A audiophile friend of mine has a friend that I have met only briefly who bought a bdp 105 about a month ago. My audiophile friend has heard the 105 in his set up and said the 105 sounded promising. So budget be damned I ordered a oppo 105 with the roku streaming stik on monday nite. I got a chance to briefly talk with my friends acquantance who bought the 105 and he said he is pleased with his new machine and that it does need some seasoning before the sound relaxes and gets to a point where it is more listenable. After reading the reviews about the player sounding a bit sharp at first I guess that was what my friends acquantance confirmed.
  So I am finally taking the plunge.Presently I am using a denon 3931 ci universal player and I have made a few tweaks like upgrading the fuse in it to hifi tuning supreme fuse and a couple of different upgraded power cords which I did a couple of years ago.The denon is built like a tank and has been very reliable but it is getting a bit long in tooth and can not play blue ray discs.I bought a inexpensive 3d blue ray player for that but I will probably give it away to a friend after I get the oppo player I will not be needing it anymore. That is the beauty of universal players they definitely save shelf space.
  I am chomping at the bit to get my new player(estimated delivery time saturday may 11th).The 105 is everything one could want in a player that is also a very comprehensive digital hub.I am particularly intersted in the roku streaming from netflix so I can watch my movies on my flat screen display in my living room.Until now I have been watching netflix on my desk top computer monitor.
  I have a Peachtree decco 2 for my desk top system with emotiva airmotiv 5 actives.I have tried the decco 2 as a standalone dac in my living room set up with my big system and it gave a very good account of itself as a standalone dac in that set up.But I bought the decco 2 primarily to upgrade the sound on my desk top from the souncard within my desk top computer. The decco 2 has definitely accomplished that. It has really bumped up the sound especially while watching netflix movies on my computer set up.
   I think eventually I may compare the dac to the bdp 105s dac section once thimgs have settled in with the 105 when I get it.That should be intersting the decco 2s dac though only limited to 96 khz sounds very good in my main rig and probably would give many higher priced out board dacs a run for their money.

popcorn.gif

May 9, 2013 at 9:55 AM Post #205 of 258
Quote:
  Presently I am using a denon 3931 ci universal player and I have made a few tweaks like upgrading the fuse in it to hifi tuning supreme fuse and a couple of different upgraded power cords which I did a couple of years ago.

That Denon is a seriously good DVD player. The upscaling was superb. I used to own one but I had laser issues with it. 

I'd be interested in your opinion of the DVD upscaling compared with the Oppo. I've heard some people state they thought the Denon was slightly better than the Oppo at DVD upscaling, others thought the Oppo was better.

May 23, 2013 at 10:06 AM Post #206 of 258
Hi Chaps, I've joined the Oppo BDP-105 group. Interestingly in terms of SQ so far I've not heard big differences from my old Marantz DV9500. However in terms of functionality it's light years ahead. Still happy with my purchase.

May 24, 2013 at 11:53 AM Post #207 of 258
Quote:

That Denon is a seriously good DVD player. The upscaling was superb. I used to own one but I had laser issues with it. 

I'd be interested in your opinion of the DVD upscaling compared with the Oppo. I've heard some people state they thought the Denon was slightly better than the Oppo at DVD upscaling, others thought the Oppo was better.

Well I received the oppo a couple of weeks ago and I unfortunately had to return it I had some serious ground hum issues whenever I hooked up  any rca interconnects to any of the rca outputs be they the audio or the video analog outputs.To say I was disappointed was putting things mildly.I have decided to pass on the oppo.But the oppo worked ok with the hdmi cable to the tv but that is not how I would likely use such an expensive player for.I have returned the unit for a refund.I did get a chance to briefly check out the video performance of the player.The colors seem to be more deeply saturated on the oppo player but there seemed to be more grain beeing passed through my sony bravia flat screen.The denons picture was cleaner and smoother.I think the denons realta video chip is better than the qdeo chip.I preferred the less grainy presentation of the 3930 ci.
   I may check out one of the other roku streaming units so I can stream netflix from my desktop computer to my living room flatscreen monitor.
It is a shame you had problems with the denons laser operation because the denon is as you say a seriously good dvd player and upscaler.I have used the heck out of my denon since i have bought it it is literally built like a tank.i have to say I was surprised at the oppos bulk when I unpacked the unit.It appears to be quite solidly constucted.It was a shame I had the hum issues I imagine the unit is superb sounding once it fleshes in.Well I guess I am sticking with my 3930 ci for now. I have checked denons latest universal players and unfortunately they no longer offer the realta video chip in any of their players.
  Marantz still offers the realta chip in their premeum player but at $6000 that is a bit over my budget.The 3930 really was a bargain for the $1500 price at the time unfortunately the 3930 ci does not play blue ray discs.

May 24, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #208 of 258
Add me to the 103 owners club, just hit one click in amazon...needed to replace my frustrating dying Samsung player I have had for four years.

Couldn't justify the cost of the 105 for now.

May 25, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #209 of 258
Quote:
 Well I received the oppo a couple of weeks ago and I unfortunately had to return it I had some serious ground hum issues whenever I hooked up  any rca interconnects to any of the rca outputs be they the audio or the video analog outputs.To say I was disappointed was putting things mildly.I have decided to pass on the oppo.But the oppo worked ok with the hdmi cable to the tv but that is not how I would likely use such an expensive player for.I have returned the unit for a refund.I did get a chance to briefly check out the video performance of the player.The colors seem to be more deeply saturated on the oppo player but there seemed to be more grain beeing passed through my sony bravia flat screen.The denons picture was cleaner and smoother.I think the denons realta video chip is better than the qdeo chip.I preferred the less grainy presentation of the 3930 ci.
   I may check out one of the other roku streaming units so I can stream netflix from my desktop computer to my living room flatscreen monitor.
It is a shame you had problems with the denons laser operation because the denon is as you say a seriously good dvd player and upscaler.I have used the heck out of my denon since i have bought it it is literally built like a tank.i have to say I was surprised at the oppos bulk when I unpacked the unit.It appears to be quite solidly constucted.It was a shame I had the hum issues I imagine the unit is superb sounding once it fleshes in.Well I guess I am sticking with my 3930 ci for now. I have checked denons latest universal players and unfortunately they no longer offer the realta video chip in any of their players.
  Marantz still offers the realta chip in their premeum player but at $6000 that is a bit over my budget.The 3930 really was a bargain for the $1500 price at the time unfortunately the 3930 ci does not play blue ray discs.

I used to have hum issues in my HT until I put an Jensen VRD-1FF isolation transformer in my cable line. It's a very common problem caused by poor grounding of the cable feed. If you run into it again you might want to try the iso xformer. The Jensen is pretty much the industry standard for dealing with this issue. If you run into it again try disconnecting the cable feed to see if the hum goes away. If it does that's the source.

Your comment about the smoothness of the Realta presentation fits with my memory of the situation very well. It's a very attractive film-like look. I really liked it. The current Oppo DVD upscaler has a more video-like look. It recovers a lot of detail but it just isn't as pretty as the 3930. There are some noise reduction settings in the Oppo that might improve things but I haven't tried them.

You are lucky not to have laser problems with the 3930. The 3930 forum on AVSForums is full of people who had this issue. Eventually somebody published instructions on how to DIY the repair for a few bucks, but by then I had moved on. You might keep it in mind if you get bitten by this flaw in the 3930. It's too bad really because as you say the build quality of this player is great.

I use a Roku to stream Amazon Prime stuff as well as Netflix through the Oppo. It has excellent ROKU stick integration and there is even a bundle price if you buy the stick with the Oppo. For $50 it's good deal.

Thanks for your impressions. It was interesting to hear from someone still using the 3930. It's the best DVD player I ever had. The second best is the Oppo BDP-83 which has a Mediatek chip instead of the QDEO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back