New model Cowon - Plenue D2
Apr 4, 2019 at 2:50 PM Post #391 of 952
I've never heard a headphone / DAP set up that sounds "like he is playing in the same room". That's just hype. Music always sounds like it's either by the sides of my head (L/R) or inside my head with a headphone set up. Anything else is just wishful thinking.

That aside, the D2 is certainly piquing my interest.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2019 at 4:27 AM Post #393 of 952
I've never heard a headphone / DAP set up that sounds "like he is playing in the same room". That's just hype. Music always sounds like it's either by the sides of my head (L/R) or inside my head with a headphone set up. Anything else is just wishful thinking.

That aside, the D2 is certainly piquing my interest.
Try a binaural recording. That’s about as close as you’ll get to “in the room” on headphones. Amber Rubarth has one on that Chesky binaural album.

Apr 5, 2019 at 4:35 AM Post #394 of 952
Try a binaural recording. That’s about as close as you’ll get to “in the room” on headphones. Amber Rubarth has one on that Chesky binaural album.
Man theres no Metal in that.

Apr 5, 2019 at 7:11 AM Post #395 of 952

I have. I've got Tesseracts Sonder Binaural recording, I was distinctly underwhelmed, it just sounded compressed to me. I'd take the original over it any day, but that's just me. It seems like another gimmick to me to get people to buy an Album more than once, much like remasters, 24 Bit, DSD etc.but then I'm 40 something and prefer straight no fuss stereo. My aging lugholes like no fuss stereo, my Audio brain wears happy pants when it hears it.

Each to their own though.

Back to the D2.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2019 at 12:38 PM Post #396 of 952
Bad balanced outputs exist. Some are much worse than their single ended counterparts. Some are better. Some are much better. It runs the gamut.

@counterclockwise,
As @shigzeo stated, all depends on the implementation & how well stuff is wired, components, etc.

Personally & subjectively, I prefer 3.5 mm, 3.5 Balanced & 4.4 mm Pentaconn over 2.5 mm Balanced as 'better' standards as more often than not, they are harder to mess up overall though it is still possible, nothing is infaliable.
Where sound is concerned, personally & subjectively, there are certainly more single ended I have heard over many years listening to gear at different levels which quality wise blow the balanced out the water but that is more a humble opinion than anything else.

Hope you have a great day !
thanks. makes me wonder how the D2's balanced out is working out for others...

on my xduoo X20 balanced sounds subtly but noticeably nicer, so i defaulted to balanced.

the D2 is great with my headphones (which don't do balanced), but on my main earphones the sound is a bit too energetic and hyper for extended listening, and i couldn't find a combination of settings to tone it down properly. until (out of unrelated curiosity) i plugged it into the single ended out instead. sounds more controlled, more neutral, less fatiguing. don't even need to tweak anything. wider soundstage, too (which I'll chalk up to my brain interpreting the upfront/hot/forward/pushy sound of the balanced out as up close).

i don't currently have anything aside from the etys to run in balanced mode, so it leaves me wondering if it's a matter of bad pairing or if the balanced out is kinda overdoing it...

are there potential detrimental effects on sound when driving earphones with more power than they need? /noob

Apr 7, 2019 at 11:11 AM Post #397 of 952
I have. I've got Tesseracts Sonder Binaural recording, I was distinctly underwhelmed, it just sounded compressed to me. I'd take the original over it any day, but that's just me. It seems like another gimmick to me to get people to buy an Album more than once, much like remasters, 24 Bit, DSD etc.but then I'm 40 something and prefer straight no fuss stereo. My aging lugholes like no fuss stereo, my Audio brain wears happy pants when it hears it.

Each to their own though.

Back to the D2.

Wouldn't be so bad if 24 bit, etc were more affordable. I've seen some popular album downloads cost £20-£25. Maybe they're worth it(?) but I can't help thinking they're just cashing in and taking advantage of people's interest in the latest formats.

Apr 9, 2019 at 12:20 PM Post #398 of 952
How can anyone release a DAP in 2019 with micro usb-b, honestly?

I am looking for a budget DAP with occasional use (6-8 flights a year). I have narrowed down my search for this three: Cowon PD2, iBasso DX120, Fiio M9.
I am really unaware what's going on in the portable market these days, so it took me some research.

I don't really care about Bluetooth and Wi-Fi and all this fancy new stuff, I just want decent sound for my FLAC files and decent battery life. I know the battery life differences between these three devices and I read all the reviews to try to get a grasp on sound.

Years ago I used to own Fiio X3II and DX80 (ages ago a Cowon C2 too). The X3II wasn't very natural, the DX80 was too clinical.
As far as reviews go, they all agree that the D2 sounds the best whatever it means. What holds me back from the D2 is the outdated UI and the usb-b in 2019. The sound and the battery life however is very appealing.

The iBasso is an interesting option, I wonder how much I'd like its more analytical sound. Battery-wise this is in-between the three DAPs I listed.

Software-wise and build quality-wise I trust Fiio the most. But the short battery life isn't good and I don't need all the modern wireless stuff it offers. I read, it has a warmer sound compared the two other which I might prefer. Quality bass however is mission critical for me, and bass-wise the M9 is apparently not the most impressive. (We are talking about quality here, not quantity!)

Any thoughts or advice?

Apr 9, 2019 at 12:59 PM Post #399 of 952

I am looking for a budget DAP with occasional use (6-8 flights a year). I have narrowed down my search for this three: Cowon PD2, iBasso DX120, Fiio M9.
I am really unaware what's going on in the portable market these days, so it took me some research.

I don't really care about Bluetooth and Wi-Fi and all this fancy new stuff, I just want decent sound for my FLAC files and decent battery life. I know the battery life differences between these three devices and I read all the reviews to try to get a grasp on sound.

Years ago I used to own Fiio X3II and DX80 (ages ago a Cowon C2 too). The X3II wasn't very natural, the DX80 was too clinical.
As far as reviews go, they all agree that the D2 sounds the best whatever it means. What holds me back from the D2 is the outdated UI and the usb-b in 2019. The sound and the battery life however is very appealing.

The iBasso is an interesting option, I wonder how much I'd like its more analytical sound. Battery-wise this is in-between the three DAPs I listed.

Software-wise and build quality-wise I trust Fiio the most. But the short battery life isn't good and I don't need all the modern wireless stuff it offers. I read, it has a warmer sound compared the two other which I might prefer. Quality bass however is mission critical for me, and bass-wise the M9 is apparently not the most impressive. (We are talking about quality here, not quantity!)

Any thoughts or advice?
I use : Cayin N8 , Cowon PL, PM2 , Colorfly U8. For what you talking about I would say get a Sony dap.

Apr 10, 2019 at 6:06 AM Post #401 of 952
Software-wise and build quality-wise I trust Fiio the most.
Sorry but I have to grim when I've read this about the software. I certainly appreciate FiiO for quality of built and sound but software is definetily not their strenght. Of all names you've mentioned and from my own personal experience Cowon is the only one with the bulletproof software, gorgeous built and top of the shelf sound. Some models are not the the fastest in browsing experience (PD can do with faster browsing and scrolling) but PM2 is simply a jewell at the reasonable price and never ever fails, nor stutter and is blazingly fast.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2019 at 6:34 AM Post #403 of 952
Sorry but I have to grim when I've read this about the software. I certainly appreciate FiiO for quality of built and sound but software is definetily not their strenght. Of all names you've mentioned and from my own personal experience Cowon is the only one with the bulletproof software, gorgeous built and top of the shelf sound. Some models are not the the fastest in browsing experience (PD can do with faster browsing and scrolling) but PM2 is simply a jewell at the reasonable price and never ever fails, nor stutter and is blazingly fast.
Fine, then I might give it a shot. I am having a hard time choosing one from the aforementioned three DAPs. Pros and cons on all sides.

Apr 10, 2019 at 9:37 AM Post #405 of 952

Any thoughts or advice?
If you always use EQ, then go with Cowon blindly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back