New model Cowon - Plenue D2
Apr 12, 2019 at 5:28 AM Post #421 of 952
funny how there's a cowon D2 (and D2+) outside of the plenue line, right?
Yep, those are from their first years around 2005 -2007 if I'm not mistaken. I am getting old you know. Days when posh A&K was just a good old Iriver, much better players with great analog sound and vastly cheaper than todays daylight robbery pricing by A&K.

Apr 12, 2019 at 6:16 AM Post #422 of 952
Yep, those are from their first years around 2005 -2007 if I'm not mistaken. I am getting old you know. Days when posh A&K was just a good old Iriver, much better players with great analog sound and vastly cheaper than todays daylight robbery pricing by A&K.
I still have two of them. 2006 and 2008.

Apr 16, 2019 at 5:45 AM Post #423 of 952
My expectations were probably too high towards the Plenue D (version 1). I have decided to return it.

The sound quality is not quite there. Yes, the sound is highly customizable but 95% of that customisation only brings distortion and exaggerated coloration. The 'normal' setting is a bit boring, I used just a bit of BBE in custom mode which helped. I find all the other filters too much.

At this price point I expected a bit of a compromise in sound, but not this much. (Where is space, lifelikeness, balance?)
I am considering Fiio Q5 or a good condition secondhand Chord Mojo at the moment. Even though it is much more bulky and uncomfortable to use them, they both offer light-years better sound quality which worth the hassle (even better sound but more hassle with Mojo to Q5).

Looks like nothing will satisfy my need regarding SQ under £300, so it is not entirely the Plenue D's fault. That might be a good value for £200, but for a £100 more there is so much better.

Apr 17, 2019 at 7:30 AM Post #424 of 952
Could I flash the firmware on my old Plenue D and then have DSD playback on the D?

Has this been atempted? I know, backnin the days, I could flash the same firmwares on the Cowon D2 and D2+.

Apr 21, 2019 at 8:24 AM Post #426 of 952
Apologies if this has been posted already but I stumbled upon RMAA: Cowon Plenue D2 24-bit by ohm-image - http://ohm-image.net/data/audio/rmaa-cowon-plenue-d2-24-bit

...ending up roughly as powerful as the DP-S1, which by this time, I am sure is square in Cowon’s sights.
And in case you’re wondering, it is better than the Plenue J in every way possible and even stomps all over the AK70 MKII. It’s good.

Fascinating stuff!

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2019 at 10:58 PM Post #429 of 952
Ill be afraid to try 512 gig in the PL.

Apr 21, 2019 at 11:29 PM Post #431 of 952
Apr 22, 2019 at 3:36 AM Post #433 of 952
Well that would be fine if it simply won't work. As long as it doesn't brick it.
Well, if it's anything like the issue I've had with my X9 when I tried 128gb card. The thing immediately went dead and would not wake up until I left the battery drain completely. only after a few weeks it started charging again and lIved to tell the story. Of course from that point on I religiously follow Cowon's instruction with any of their players and didn't have any issues since. Safe to say if Cowon states: "support UP TO..." I wouldn't question and play with fire.

Apr 22, 2019 at 7:52 PM Post #434 of 952
Can anyone compare D2 sound quality to the Opus #1s? I'm leary to make the switch. I find the UI of the Opus #1s bug / problem free, simple and basic.... Just the way I like it. The UI on this device worries me a bit, so the more important sound quality would really need to be an improvement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back