New model Cowon - Plenue D2
Mar 30, 2019 at 1:31 PM Post #361 of 952
It is kind of funny when people read your post and then write stuff which has no relation to the post they reply to and claim that this is what the original post has said.

I never said in my original post that the EQ of D2 will make music sound good. I also never said that I put a rule on myself to not use EQ. But keep going I guess you are having fun putting words into my mouth. Lets see what else you will come up with.

Cheers
Do you eq ? How do you lnow the D2s eq is good ? You wrote "The only two good things about it is battery life and EQ and as I do not like EQing the music it leaves me only with battery life". So you do eq or you dont ? If you dont then you did imposed onto yourself not to eq. You can use another word if it pleases you.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2019 at 2:12 PM Post #362 of 952
I dont know what is going on in this Thread.

All i wanted to know is Soundquality and soundstage (what Soundstage. ha, ha) compared to other (mid-fi) DAPs or maybe Plenue 1 or R/V.

But most i can read here is kind of strange...

Mar 30, 2019 at 2:33 PM Post #363 of 952
@maira soundquality is perfectly fine, like all good DAC chips, as long as you don't demand too much power from the amp.

And soundstage has ABSO-FUGGING-LUTELY nothing to do with the player!

That is, of course, as long as you play music without BBE, balance adjustments, etc.
The soundstage also does NOT depend on cables and food you had for breakfast (unless it made you feel sick).

It depends on the recording most of all, but is affected by the headphones most of all.

Mar 30, 2019 at 2:41 PM Post #364 of 952
@maira
And soundstage has ABSO-FUGGING-LUTELY nothing to do with the player!

That is, of course, as long as you play music without BBE, balance adjustments, etc.
The soundstage also does NOT depend on cables and food you had for breakfast (unless it made you feel sick).

It depends on the recording most of all, but is affected by the headphones most of all.

Well. i have other experiences reagarding `Soundstage´. But thanks again for your opinion...

Mar 31, 2019 at 3:10 AM Post #365 of 952
...And soundstage has ABSO-FUGGING-LUTELY nothing to do with the player!...
I wouldn't say nothing, but the impact on the overall impression of space/placement should usually be minimal. one rather simple way for that not to be the case, could come from some impedance relations changing the signature of the IEM. obviously that change needs to amount to something fairly noticeable, but then a different signature can very much change the image we get of the "stage".
same thing with let's say a DAP that struggles with really low impedance loads(the IEMs). then the measurements can really degrade massively compared to what they would do into a 100ohm headphone. that could change a lot perceptually, so long of course as the changes are so bad they're audible. including crosstalk that could in extreme situations become fairly noticeable(to me that would be starting around -40dB so it's a rare issue, but probably not one that never happens when you consider that some IEMs nowadays go as low a 4ohm, a real current highway).

with that said, I would not look for DAPs if I was trying to change that headstage, soundstage, whatever name we want to give it. I'd get another IEM. so I agree with the general idea of your message, I just had a problem with the notion of absolute :wink:

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2019 at 4:42 AM Post #366 of 952
Well, technically a DAP can alter the change to some extend. One with darker background can crate the impression of better depth and separstion while a brighter one can create the impression of airier and more spacious sound. But again the source plays a smaller role in that regard. It's akways better to invest in better iems/headphones rather than buying expensive DAP to use with some cheap iems

Mar 31, 2019 at 4:47 AM Post #367 of 952
It is kind of funny when people read your post and then write stuff which has no relation to the post they reply to and claim that this is what the original post has said.

I never said in my original post that the EQ of D2 will make music sound good. I also never said that I put a rule on myself to not use EQ. But keep going I guess you are having fun putting words into my mouth. Lets see what else you will come up with.

Cheers
"The only two good things about it is battery life and EQ and as I do not like EQing the music it leaves me only with battery life."
To most of us quote above looks like you've chosen not to use EQ, thus limiting your sonic experience by a great margin. Of all high end portable players manufacturers Cowon is the best in applying EQ to their players thus elevating sonic experience to a whole new level. But hey, your choice is yours and yours alone and you are welcome to move on to a different player.

Mar 31, 2019 at 4:53 AM Post #368 of 952
"The only two good things about it is battery life and EQ and as I do not like EQing the music it leaves me only with battery life."
To most of us quote above looks like you've chosen not to use EQ, thus limiting your sonic experience by a great margin. Of all high end portable players manufacturers Cowon is the best in applying EQ to their players thus elevating sonic experience to a whole new level. But hey, your choice is yours and yours alone and you are welcome to move on to a different player.
Exactly

Mar 31, 2019 at 12:01 PM Post #369 of 952
@maira
And you did ABX testing with your "experiences", didn't you?

Because, oh wonder, there have been dozens, if not hundreds, of people like you (with "experiences"), that tried their best, and failed miserably, at finding audible differences between daps.

Sure, them is all deaf loos0rs, olol..

Re the soundstage being altered through impedance issues caused by overly sensitive iems:
I get how crosstalk can deteriorate spacial separation, but let's just assume that one choses a player with "matching" output impedance (i.e.max 1/10 of the earphone impedance, for earphones that have a non-linear frequency response/impedance relation)

But, let's not dwell on such weird topics, and rather focus our attention on the salvation brought upon us by superior cables that manage to remove any kind of audible weaknesses found in headphones and players.
I heard, some 1'000$ cables can even turn mono recordings to stereo.

Mar 31, 2019 at 12:56 PM Post #371 of 952
@maira
And you did ABX testing with your "experiences", didn't you?

Because, oh wonder, there have been dozens, if not hundreds, of people like you (with "experiences"), that tried their best, and failed miserably, at finding audible differences between daps.

Sure, them is all deaf loos0rs, olol..

Re the soundstage being altered through impedance issues caused by overly sensitive iems:
I get how crosstalk can deteriorate spacial separation, but let's just assume that one choses a player with "matching" output impedance (i.e.max 1/10 of the earphone impedance, for earphones that have a non-linear frequency response/impedance relation)

But, let's not dwell on such weird topics, and rather focus our attention on the salvation brought upon us by superior cables that manage to remove any kind of audible weaknesses found in headphones and players.
I heard, some 1'000$ cables can even turn mono recordings to stereo.

Now you're talking Witchcraft! LoL. Nice post

Mar 31, 2019 at 6:29 PM Post #372 of 952
If you did not get what I wrote I suggest you re read it.

If you have some actually constructive questions, ask away. I might answer those.

Cheers

I said what because your opinions don’t hold up with anyone else really and contradict things as basic as measurements that say the opposite. Either your earphones are broken, or your ears are.

Apr 1, 2019 at 1:57 AM Post #373 of 952
yes a good impedance ratio will overall limit the risks of getting an audible difference, and that's how I roll most of the time. but specifically for crosstalk, it's more about the amount of current flowing in the circuit and how far the channels are physically from each other. so low impedance amp might not save the day for that very specific issue. in fact a high impedance amp could become the current limiter itself if the load happened to be crazy low impedance. some DAPs do that as a sort of cheapo protection. but again, I mentioned crosstalk as something that could probably happen to become audible under extreme circumstances(the level of caution in that sentence is over 9000!!). for most uses, crosstalk turns out to be a completely irrelevant variable and should be treated as such IMO. I only brought it up as something that could exist.

terminology:
for impedance, "matching" means having the same. the relation between amp and IEMs where the source's value is way below the load's, is called "bridging".

Apr 1, 2019 at 2:05 AM Post #374 of 952
If you did not get what I wrote I suggest you re read it.

If you have some actually constructive questions, ask away. I might answer those.

Cheers
in the spirit of being constructive, you should start by listing what playback setup you used as reference when making those comments about soundstage, warmth, etc. and what IEM/headphone you used to test the D2 itself.
one reason why that could be important=> https://www.head-fi.org/threads/feedback-about-gears-stop-doing-it-wrong-impedance.866714/

Apr 1, 2019 at 3:30 AM Post #375 of 952

Users who are viewing this thread

Back