New Member Introductions thread
Apr 22, 2019 at 2:24 PM Post #9,932 of 15,529
Thanks, all the abbreviations will take some time to understand, googling them a few times before they register. I do like the bang for the buck products and can't wrap up thousands in audio equipment unless I want to live alone.
HP = Headphones, sorry for the confusion:L3000:

Apr 22, 2019 at 4:48 PM Post #9,934 of 15,529
I am not sure how a portable tube amp would work.
www.amazon.com/Little-Bear-Portable-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B01K4BS9WU/ref=asc_df_B01K4BS9WU/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=242023900698&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4906328135336871283&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9009973&hvtargid=pla-629426095560&psc=1

Tube amps, like the Schiit Vali 2 are really a tube-buffer input with a solid state amplifier or hybrid. The Valhalla is pure tube and well worth $349. More analog sound, less digital edge--music more engaging. The more you listen, the more you want to listen. Each different tube imparts its "flavor", some of which is hype to drive up prices, while I have come to believe without a $3,000 amp and $5,000 headphones, the subtle and sublime pleasure of a $500 tube would be lost on us mere mortals.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2019 at 9:04 PM Post #9,937 of 15,529
Apr 24, 2019 at 1:07 AM Post #9,941 of 15,529
Heyo!

I recently made this account so I could eventually look into getting some nice second-hand audio gear, but I figured it would also be good for me to get to know some more fellow audiophiles out there! I've actually been lurking the forums for a while ever since I purchased my first nice headphone in October/November of last year (a Sennheiser HD58x), then I ran into a coworker who's REALLY into the high end stuff and...let's just say, while my ears couldn't be happier, my wallet has been hating me so much, hahahaha. Currently sticking with my HD58X alongside a Modi/Magni3 stack, a set of DUNU DN-2000 IEMs, and a very recent Oppo PM-3 that my coworker helped me get (since I didn't have a Head-fi account at the time) that I am currently absolutely in love with for my closed back work set. Been thinking about upgrading my stack to something a little more robust for future proofing, so you guys will probably see me poking around asking for some advice on upgrade paths soon.

Anyhow, nice to meet y'all!

Apr 24, 2019 at 2:48 AM Post #9,942 of 15,529
Just got into high end portable Head-Fi gears and decided to sign up an account. I've actually been lurking for quite some time so i thought i'll finally come out into the open and start looking into the more elusive gears available in Canjams.

I'm gonna have a fit at the upcoming Socal Canjam!

Great to meet you guys!

Apr 24, 2019 at 10:53 AM Post #9,944 of 15,529
Heyo!

I recently made this account so I could eventually look into getting some nice second-hand audio gear, but I figured it would also be good for me to get to know some more fellow audiophiles out there! I've actually been lurking the forums for a while ever since I purchased my first nice headphone in October/November of last year (a Sennheiser HD58x), then I ran into a coworker who's REALLY into the high end stuff and...let's just say, while my ears couldn't be happier, my wallet has been hating me so much, hahahaha. Currently sticking with my HD58X alongside a Modi/Magni3 stack, a set of DUNU DN-2000 IEMs, and a very recent Oppo PM-3 that my coworker helped me get (since I didn't have a Head-fi account at the time) that I am currently absolutely in love with for my closed back work set. Been thinking about upgrading my stack to something a little more robust for future proofing, so you guys will probably see me poking around asking for some advice on upgrade paths soon.

Anyhow, nice to meet y'all!

My advice, if you are planning an upgrade would be to move up to the Modi MB and a Vali 2 hybrid tube HP amp. I also own the Modi/Magni combo, which is very good, as you know...but the MB and Tube just put more icing on the cake. Welcomes and check out the various threads which are more specific to your needs--Vali tube rolling, Magni impressions, et al.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back