New Member Introductions thread
Apr 26, 2019 at 5:49 PM Post #9,961 of 15,577
Hi All,

I am Shawn. I like listening music, which makes me getting familiar with headphones and amplifiers. I have a IE80 and a HD600. I built a few O2+O-DAC from JDS Labs by myself. That is my desktop setup. For mobile using, I have a Dragonfly Red to connect to my iPhone X. Very satisfied with it connecting my IE80. I bought Apple AirPods 2 for the normal use nowadays, but still being passionate about upgrading my music gears.

My next goals on headphones are IE800, Shure SE535; for portable amps, I would like to buy a Chord Mojo.

Please feel free to comment.

Love and peace.
The Mojo is a yes a great and versatile little dac/amp I have a DFR also which is very good but the Mojo is much better IMO.

Apr 26, 2019 at 8:12 PM Post #9,962 of 15,577
The Mojo is a yes a great and versatile little dac/amp I have a DFR also which is very good but the Mojo is much better IMO.
Thanks for the comment. Do you have a Mojo? Which headphone or IEMs do you listen with?

Apr 26, 2019 at 8:21 PM Post #9,963 of 15,577
Thanks for the comment. Do you have a Mojo? Which headphone or IEMs do you listen with?
I do have a Mojo and I love listening to on my back patio the HD800 just so good and for fun I like my Fostex TR-X00 maggies. Iems I have a few in the KZ line and iBasso IT01’s,Shozy Zero,MEE’s,and others and LCDi4 which I don’t classify as a iem just open in ear but it is fantastic.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2019 at 7:11 PM Post #9,964 of 15,577
Greetings from Utah! You might have seen me on Massdrop as AllegroMaestoso, or at FunTrivia as celicadriver. My headphone journey began in October of 2016 when I bought a FiiO X3 gen 2. Several months went by, and I got a pair of DT-880 Premium 32 ohm phones that I still use. After finding a review of the HE 150PRO earbuds here on Head-Fi, I bought a pair of those. A fellow Utahan pointed me to Massdrop, where I picked up the Focal Elex and a Cavalli Tube Hybrid amp. Around that time I paid a visit to Schiit's website and bought a Magni 3. Later from Massdrop I got the TR-X00 Mahogany (now sold) and the ubiquitous 58X Jubilees. I bought a pair of Nighthawk Carbons when the price dropped 40%, and most recently, I got the Ether CX from Massdrop. I've almost given up hope on the THX AAA 789... demand still seems to be much more than the supply can handle, and the $50 price hike is kind of disappointing. So that's where I am at this point. Favorite headphones so far? Definitely the Elex.

My musical preferences are pretty diverse and tough for even me to adequately categorize, but as I type this I'm listening to Journey's Separate Ways on my desktop system - USB audio from PC to Denon's PMA-60 compacted integrated amp to Monitor Audio's Bronze 2 speakers and Polk Audio sub. I'm looking forward to connecting to the audio community on Head-Fi!

Apr 28, 2019 at 3:57 AM Post #9,965 of 15,577
Joined after years or lurking and finding the info I needed without ever joining. I’m a headphone junkie and the wife isn’t liking the addiction much.
Now my kids are old enough to enjoy my gear. Thanks for this thread I didn’t know where to start.

Apr 28, 2019 at 5:12 AM Post #9,966 of 15,577
Greetings from Brighton, England. What leads me to this site was a Snazzy Labs youtube video featuring a strong recommendation for the Koss KSC75 headphones. I purchase a pair, which I still waiting for, then started google what was the best phone for music playback.

My goal is to upgrade my kit on the cheap to get the best budget portable sound setup, to this end I could use some help.

I have purchased:
  • LG V20 H918 from eBay (Grade A refurb) for £85.
  • Koss KSC75x from Massdrop £20

I could use recommendations for:
  1. Software high res audio / DSD
  2. Best value for sound Earbuds for the v20 to drive in high impedance mode (if possible)
  3. Best value for sound closed back over the ear headphones for the v20 to drive in high impedance mode.

In terms of audio profile, I listen to rock music mostly, thanks

Apr 28, 2019 at 7:59 AM Post #9,967 of 15,577
Hi Guys,

New member, been lurking around since 2016 but finally decided to make an account lol.

I am starting the portable audio game and would like to hear recommendations for set up of around4-5K (so that i don't spend money where I shouldn't, cuz this hobby makes you do that lol).

Currently thinking of WM1Z + IER-Z1R set up.

Thanks

Apr 28, 2019 at 6:26 PM Post #9,970 of 15,577
Hi all,

Longtime lurker, and figured it's finally time to join the community here. I typically spend most of my time on Massdrop posting and writing reviews so I'm glad to start bringing more of that here as well. Hopefully, my poor spending habits and impressions will be of help to the community. :slight_smile:

Apr 28, 2019 at 7:07 PM Post #9,971 of 15,577
Hi all,

Longtime lurker, and figured it's finally time to join the community here. I typically spend most of my time on Massdrop posting and writing reviews so I'm glad to start bringing more of that here as well. Hopefully, my poor spending habits and impressions will be of help to the community. :slight_smile:

What a coincidence! Two Massdroppers - you and me - joining Head-Fi at about the same time. I'm delighted to see you here. Welcome.

Apr 28, 2019 at 7:48 PM Post #9,973 of 15,577
Greetings and Aloha from the Big Island of Hawaii. Been on here about 6 months just learning and making myself perpetually broke. Started the journey about a year ago with my 2nd & 3rd pair of ANC headphones. Quickly learned I tend to be a fan of Sennheisers after getting the HD6XX which was my first foray into audiophile phones last September. Also quickly learned that there are many options that are better, different, and far more expensive.

For a while a used pair of Elex were my most expensive phones by double the price of the next most expensive and I thought I'd lost my mind. Then I decided to spend about triple that on HD820s and the same on a used Hugo 2. Have already sold off 3 of my starter DAC/AMPS. The Woo WA7 and HD700 were the first experience of true audio bliss and feeling like I was hearing all my music for the first time. Still haven't listened to the vast majority of my music with audiophile equipment and am typically listening hours per day.

I live in a remote area (a few miles from the source of the massive eruption last year) in a largely rural island of 200,000 where there isn't a single store selling audiophile headphones. My chance to listen to anything before buying is quite limited, though I'm starting to do some of that when traveling to the mainland. Happy to see that for many purchases, they are easy to resell without much loss.

I already feel like I have a few endgame options with my limited collection and mix of open, closed, tubes, different technology DACs, planars & dynamics, with only the THX789 being something I'm waiting on. At this point, there isn't anything I have that I'm willing to part with, though if forced to the Elex, HD6XX, and HE-4XX would go first. Would be nice to have the HD800S at some point and explore some other brands.

Head-Fi has been an amazing, useful resource!

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2019 at 7:55 PM Post #9,974 of 15,577
Greetings and Aloha from the Big Island of Hawaii. Been on here about 6 months just learning and making myself perpetually broke. Started the journey about a year ago with my 2nd & 3rd pair of ANC headphones. Quickly learned I tend to be a fan of Sennheisers after getting the HD6XX which was my first foray into audiophile phones last September. Also quickly learned that there are many options that are better, different, and far more expensive.

For a while a used pair of Elex were my most expensive phones by double the price of the next most expensive and I thought I'd lost my mind. Then I decided to spend about triple that on HD820s and the same on a used Hugo 2. Have already sold off 3 of my starter DAC/AMPS. The Woo WA7 and HD700 were the first experience of true audio bliss and feeling like I was hearing all my music for the first time. Still haven't listened to the vast majority of my music with audiophile equipment and am typically listening hours per day.

I live in a remote area in a largely rural island of 200,000 where there isn't a single store selling audiophile headphones. My chance to listen to anything before buying is quite limited, though I'm starting to do some of that when traveling to the mainland. Happy to see that for many purchases, they are easy to resell without much loss.

I already feel like I have a few endgame options with my limited collection and mix of open, closed, tubes, different technology DACs, planars & dynamics, with only the THX789 being something I'm waiting on. At this point, there isn't anything I have that I'm willing to part with, though if forced to the Elex, HD6XX, and HE-4XX would go first. Would be nice to have the HD800S at some point and explore some other brands.

Head-Fi has been an amazing, useful resource!

Chee-hoo! Native Hawaiian here!

I just bought the HD6xx they are in the mail to me right now, I am so excited to hook them up.

I'll send you NYC pizza if you send me poke :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back