New Member Introductions thread
Apr 8, 2019 at 1:29 PM Post #9,826 of 15,615
Hi and welcome, noob myself and scared to death, its like a gambling addiction, but being a good yorkshireman, my expenditure tends to be under £100 per purchase , exception being I think I have been talked into buying a chord mojo as a real step forward, some good guys and sensible advice on head-fi. Enjoy!!!

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2019 at 2:14 PM Post #9,827 of 15,615
Hey guys. Pretty into music here, but have never gotten into the world of hi-fi audio. Came here because I started researching hardware and the underlying tech behind all of this. Not sure how into it I'll get since I know it can pretty quickly drain a bank account, but learning can't :)

Apr 8, 2019 at 5:30 PM Post #9,828 of 15,615
Hey guys. Pretty into music here, but have never gotten into the world of hi-fi audio. Came here because I started researching hardware and the underlying tech behind all of this. Not sure how into it I'll get since I know it can pretty quickly drain a bank account, but learning can't :)
I would recommend that you simply look at the threads that interest you on the forums that interest you and see what you can pick up. There is a staggering amount of cumulative information on Head-fi. Soak it up. Most of all, have fun! :)

Apr 8, 2019 at 5:43 PM Post #9,829 of 15,615
Hey all,

I've been lurking for a while and this is my first post. I have been a music lover for most of my life, but didn't discover the audiophile and high end gear side of music appreciation until pretty recently. Obviously, I knew it existed to some extent, but I never realized how much money you can spend on a set of IEMs until relatively recently. Here's to everyone finding their endgame and a cure for upgraditis!

Best wishes,
Moqsu
Welcome aboard, @moqsu!! How are things in the Rocket City? I lived in Nashville for 7 years and got to the Huntsville Marathon once. It was cold but fun. Anyhow, nice to have you with us and enjoy! :)

Apr 8, 2019 at 11:27 PM Post #9,830 of 15,615
Hello thread.

Longtime "Google Lurker", finally decided to sign up after a couple years.

I have Tinnitus pretty badly so use headphones to try to help in different ways and I've really gotten back into listening to music. I bought a couple turntables recently and now trying to decide on a tube amp. That's it for now!

Jonathan

Apr 8, 2019 at 11:41 PM Post #9,831 of 15,615
Hello thread.

Longtime "Google Lurker", finally decided to sign up after a couple years.

I have Tinnitus pretty badly so use headphones to try to help in different ways and I've really gotten back into listening to music. I bought a couple turntables recently and now trying to decide on a tube amp. That's it for now!

Jonathan
Welcome, Jonathan! I also have tinnitus and for me music does help. I guess it doesn't for everyone with tinnitus. Anyhow, welcome aboard and have fun!

Apr 8, 2019 at 11:50 PM Post #9,832 of 15,615
Welcome, Jonathan! I also have tinnitus and for me music does help. I guess it doesn't for everyone with tinnitus. Anyhow, welcome aboard and have fun!
Thank you

Are there certain types of music that you've found that help?

The thing I discovered is certain frequencies can help mitigate the high pitched tone I get when environmental sounds have bombarded me. I'm still testing out my theory.

Apr 8, 2019 at 11:59 PM Post #9,833 of 15,615
Thank you

Are there certain types of music that you've found that help?

The thing I discovered is certain frequencies can help mitigate the high pitched tone I get when environmental sounds have bombarded me. I'm still testing out my theory.
Interesting. Yeah, I've tried a bunch of different things. Mostly now I listen to classical and jazz on fairly modest levels and it seems to help distract me without aggravating the ringing. I find that crash cymbals in particular on my beloved classical rock and metal can be a big problem for me, unfortunately. No idea how to ameliorate this. :frowning2:

Apr 9, 2019 at 1:00 AM Post #9,834 of 15,615
Same. It helps that I really enjoy Jazz (one turntable setup is strictly for jazz, and some classical). The thing I stumbled one was listening to some bass heavy electronic or hip hop (instrumental if possible to prevent vocals from stimulating the ringing) and it seemed to deaden or tamp down the high pitched tone/ringing once I removed the headphones. I'm still trying to find tracks that work well, but I tried again the other night and it definitely helped. I know what the exact cause of my tinnitus was/is so I kinda understand the triggers. If you haven't tried it already, noise cancelling headphones or maybe just closed backs with no music at all can help because they both act as a nice barrier to the barrage of environmental soundwaves (NYC in my case) from getting into my ears.

Good luck!
Jonathan

Apr 9, 2019 at 1:14 AM Post #9,835 of 15,615
Same. It helps that I really enjoy Jazz (one turntable setup is strictly for jazz, and some classical). The thing I stumbled one was listening to some bass heavy electronic or hip hop (instrumental if possible to prevent vocals from stimulating the ringing) and it seemed to deaden or tamp down the high pitched tone/ringing once I removed the headphones. I'm still trying to find tracks that work well, but I tried again the other night and it definitely helped. I know what the exact cause of my tinnitus was/is so I kinda understand the triggers. If you haven't tried it already, noise cancelling headphones or maybe just closed backs with no music at all can help because they both act as a nice barrier to the barrage of environmental soundwaves (NYC in my case) from getting into my ears.

Good luck!
Jonathan
Thanks, Jonathan, I'll look into that. Mine got going in college when I lived on Broadway for four years in Manhattan. Yowzer. Back in an urban living enviro now and it is an issue (like it is right now!). Good luck to you as well. Be well!

Apr 9, 2019 at 10:19 AM Post #9,839 of 15,615
Welcome @JUANLUK,

So do we all...music I mean...

As to more music players...never hurts either.

Apologies to your wallet in advance !

Hope you have a great day !

Apr 9, 2019 at 2:59 PM Post #9,840 of 15,615
Hi everyone my name is Grant and I'm new to the head-fi community. I don't have any hifi headphones/gear yet but I do have some nice speakers at home (Bowers & Wilkins 700 series). I never really thought about high quality music until I picked up these B&W speakers from Best Buy a few months ago (and wow they're amazing). I'm looking forward to getting into headphones and thinking about starting out with a pair of Sony Z1R's to use at my office (I work at a computer all day long). Not sure what amp/dac I should think about pairing them with but I'm sure with more research I'll come to a conclusion.

- Grant

Users who are viewing this thread

Back