New Member Introductions thread
Oct 12, 2018 at 10:40 AM Post #8,731 of 15,584
Hello!
First post but a long time follower of the threads on head-fi. As a music lover for close to half a century now I'm slowing increasing my collection of audiophile class headphones, transports, DACs and amps. Even though I "joined" here almost a year ago, I guess that I'm still considered to be too new to post in the for sale/trade forums so I'm posting my introduction here in order to be able to then post elsewhere. Hopefully soon I'll be able to post the mint condition Chord Mojo that I'd ideally like to trade for one of a few specific things that I'm interested in. Not quite sure how the approval process works in order to post FS items, so for now I'll just say hello and continue reading (and very much enjoying) the reviews and forums.

PS - If there's anybody in the Pittsburgh area who knows of any retail stores that carry higher end audiophile gear please feel free to PM me with the name and their location. Other than MTME in the North Hills, I'm beginning to think this is a relatively dry townl

Oct 12, 2018 at 4:22 PM Post #8,732 of 15,584
Hi to everyone in this friendly community. I'm an audiophile old timer, in the sense that I just want to enjoy my music. I don't and can't pretend that I understand all the technicalities and jargon. Nevertheless I enjoy very much reading the posts on this forum and doing so has made me wiser. This forum has opened me up to a whole new world and has raised my audio standards. Always looking forward to inputs and advice.

Oct 12, 2018 at 4:24 PM Post #8,733 of 15,584
Hey all.

Been a lurker for almost a year. Very impressed with the amount of information on the site. Like many of you I have an itch that I can't scratch enough so I signed up to buy/sell/trade. Started the journey looking for the competitive edge in gaming and have expanded from there.

Look forward to visiting often.

Shaun

Oct 13, 2018 at 10:27 AM Post #8,734 of 15,584
Greeting and salutations, fellow Audiophiliacs.

I am the "Affordable Audiophile" and relatively new to Headphones.

My best guess is that I purchased a pair of Large Advent Loudspeakers in 1975, and have always enjoyed speakers.
I discovered headphones, when I found a pair of Sennheiser HD-205 marked down to $39. I have since added a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-AD500X and I purchased the upgrade Schiit Magni 3 headphone amplifier.
I had never owned a dedicated headphone amp, and had only experienced the headphone jack on various receivers.

WOW what a revelation. The Magni 3 with a Schiit Modi 2 Multibit (Mimby) and Schiit Wyrd USB decrapifier is my Headphone stack. I am using a Raspberry Pi end-point for the USB feed, as my Music is networked with the Musicbox server (10Tb).

On my big system, I have found the headphone stage on the PS Audio SPROUT100 to be quite nice.

A neighbor built a 'Schiit Brickhouse' for my stack.
I jokingly said that "natural Cedar" is know for its ability to control sub-sonic micro-vibrations inherent to Headphone amplifiers. ( I have a Schiity sense of Humor) And yes those are Tie-dyed speaker covers for the now 40+ year old Advents.

I am a Grateful Dead-head.

DSC03859_v1.JPG

Oct 13, 2018 at 4:10 PM Post #8,735 of 15,584
Hello fellow sound lovers.

I am glad I finally decided to create an account on Head-Fi, a site I used as a reference and research tool in becoming a hobby audiophile.
My first "real" headphones were the Sennheiser HD595 bought back in 2009 and since then I fell in love with them and still have them in my collection.

As for my gear, there's not much to brag about, although I know nobody's expecting that (in a good or bad way).
Still, to see where I am coming from, I'd share what's currently in my inventory.

Koss Porta Pro
Bose on-ear heardphones (can't seem to find their model on them anywhere)
Apple Airpods (for casual listening, movie watching on iPhone/iPad, etc.)
Sennheiser RS160 (TV and PS4 gaming)
Sennheiser HD595 (main phones, daily all-rounder, music, gamin)
Sennheiser / Massdrop HD58x (my newest addition - LOVING THEM!)
Kingston HyperX Cloud II (closed back, swapping to them when the room is busy and I want to game in peace :))
BeyerDynamic DT770 32Ohm (workplace closed cans, great for privacy and very nice and distinct sound)
FiiO E10 AMP/DA
There were a few more headphones that came my way and I passed them on or sold them, e.g. Sony MDR-10BT, Sony MDR-V55, Logitech wireless G533 headphones (returned) and some AKG portable on-ear phones. I didn't quite like the sound signature on them or their were uncomfy (mainly the AKGs).

So it's great to be here and I hope I can learn a lot more and even contribute to an extent of my limited but growing experience.

Oct 15, 2018 at 2:00 AM Post #8,736 of 15,584
1st post here. Greetings from Victoria, BC, Canada.

I'm not a big headphone guy but becoming more interested as my listening environment and time of day that I can listen change.

My original headphones from the 80's (Koss K6a maybe?) are long-gone as are the pair of Porta Pro I had with my walkmans.

I'm very much a vintage guy. My main system is a Sansui AU-7700 and TU-7700 with Paisley Research AE400 or Celestion Ditton 44 speakers. Mostly vinyl with a variety of turntables, including a Yamaha YP-D8 and a Technics SL-1210 Mk2 that currently has a modded Rega RB250 tonearm on it.

My 1st headphone purchase when I got back into stereo was a pair of Philips SMP8500, for about $15 at a overstock / clearance outlet. I had some $5 thrift shop Sennheiser HD450s. I have a pair of Pioneer SE-20A that I think I'll put in my office at work next to the Pioneer SA-5200 / TX-6200 there. I have a pair of Kenwood KH-52 ... also thrift shop finds.

Just the other day I found a pair of Realistic LV-10, with the original box. I've got new foam cushions on order for them from Koss. Might be my best find yet. We'll see.

Oct 15, 2018 at 9:25 AM Post #8,738 of 15,584
Welcome, everyone. I think you feel welcome and appreciated for your opinions and comments. We go off on tangents, but mainly only with kittens and cats. I think this is a "no-judgment zone" where everyone treats each other with respect.

Oct 15, 2018 at 2:42 PM Post #8,740 of 15,584
Hi Headfi after a long time just reading interesting threads on this site and learning things about Headphones /Amps, i know finally joined with my own situation to solve and hopefully learn even more things in the future. I come from Serbia the country where average joe does not know any headphones other then Samsung stock earbuds from their phone or maybe Logitech and such gaming stuff. I myself am just average audio entusiast or maybe just consumer in comparison to most of you, but that doesnt stop me from enjoying my stuff if you give me lowest budget , medium or high i will always pick something at least better then most of the other choises just by couple of searches on the net and narrowing down the one and following my Ears or instinct when it comes to other non audio It gear luck or just taste dont know.

Saw many people while lurking around that after they get far enough in this End game business they get to the point when they stop looking at music listening as Enjoyment and more of a Numbers chart i hope i never reach that Phase .

My gear is really barebones simple

Isk Hf2010 for general music analyze/ longer enjoyment/ movies /games it brings smile every time.
Asus Cerberus V2 For when i want something that makes my Heart Race with amount of sub bass like i am in front of central speakers at the Edm concert . It brings adrenaline every time suprisingly decent for gaming headset at least because choises in my country for gaming headsets under 100 euro are poor AF literally.

Sony Wh Ch500 for portable choise , mostly used when watching Anime/ Youtube on phone and music when i want bigger soundstage then Iems . Balanced warm Mids that are actually strongest point they sound great with Male vocals and lower female tones and Electric Piano, with Bass that is There but not overbearing has good definition for small Bt headphones such as these sounds natural and fun, reccessed highs partially but that is to be expected .

Sony Ex 110 Apb Iem suprisingly powerfull in both highs, that extend quite far and lows that are rumbling but not completelly overpowering the rest, decent in sepparation, and soundstage is not completely cramped, for lower cost choises 1 of better in my place.

Fiio Q1 Amp/Dac. Xi Fi Go Pro usb soundcard.

That is all i can say for now peace.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2018 at 9:23 PM Post #8,743 of 15,584
Hi to everyone in this friendly community. I'm an audiophile old timer, in the sense that I just want to enjoy my music. I don't and can't pretend that I understand all the technicalities and jargon. Nevertheless I enjoy very much reading the posts on this forum and doing so has made me wiser. This forum has opened me up to a whole new world and has raised my audio standards. Always looking forward to inputs and advice.
Welcome to the public side of the community.

Oct 15, 2018 at 9:25 PM Post #8,744 of 15,584
Hello. I'm Jeff. I am mostly a full size home audio guy (2 channel and multi-channel) and just picked up my first non apple DAP. I've been learning a ton browsing the forums so I thought I'd join.
Welcome to the site. It is so overwhelming to see all the information available around here, so I spend most of my time reading and learning from others experience.

Oct 15, 2018 at 9:29 PM Post #8,745 of 15,584
Greeting and salutations, fellow Audiophiliacs.

I am the "Affordable Audiophile" and relatively new to Headphones.

My best guess is that I purchased a pair of Large Advent Loudspeakers in 1975, and have always enjoyed speakers.
I discovered headphones, when I found a pair of Sennheiser HD-205 marked down to $39. I have since added a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-AD500X and I purchased the upgrade Schiit Magni 3 headphone amplifier.
I had never owned a dedicated headphone amp, and had only experienced the headphone jack on various receivers.

WOW what a revelation. The Magni 3 with a Schiit Modi 2 Multibit (Mimby) and Schiit Wyrd USB decrapifier is my Headphone stack. I am using a Raspberry Pi end-point for the USB feed, as my Music is networked with the Musicbox server (10Tb).

On my big system, I have found the headphone stage on the PS Audio SPROUT100 to be quite nice.

A neighbor built a 'Schiit Brickhouse' for my stack.
I jokingly said that "natural Cedar" is know for its ability to control sub-sonic micro-vibrations inherent to Headphone amplifiers. ( I have a Schiity sense of Humor) And yes those are Tie-dyed speaker covers for the now 40+ year old Advents.

I am a Grateful Dead-head.

Man. what a great stand for your Schitt. I am a dedicated Schitt head myself. I have never been disappointed in my purchases and the upgrades are an awesome option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back