New Member Introductions thread
Oct 19, 2017 at 4:43 PM Post #6,665 of 15,646
Hello. I'm Ptereodactyl. A triceratops ate my parents.
My zodiac is a glow in the dark cobra, also known as a glowbra.

I'm a musician and headphone addict.

For some reason, the forum doesn't work with Firefox for Mac. Does anyone else have an issue with posting in Firefox?
I have to switch to Chrome to post.

I've been lurking for years. I finaly joined.
Hello, from South Carolina.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017 at 11:20 PM Post #6,668 of 15,646
Hi there,
please help enlighten me to the hifi world.
Welcome to head-fi! Feel free to post whatever you want in my thread here in my signature. Questions, reviews, whatever.

And welcome to head-fi everybody!
:call_me: :call_me:

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 20, 2017 at 11:56 AM Post #6,670 of 15,646
Hello guys nice to meet you.
I'm a newbie searching for good setup for my Anime Music here =w=b
Hope you guys can help me with that.
You said anime and it made my brain trigger! This is one of the largest threads on headfi and its about anime...
HUGE Anime Thread
You can use the search bar to search that thread for whatever your looking for. Not to mention tons of nice people to talk to about anime.

Have fun here

-Craig, from MTME

Oct 20, 2017 at 2:44 PM Post #6,672 of 15,646
It depends on your budget... I think the LC and the HD800 is an excellent paring so right now I am glad you arent "hurting for good sound" :) Do you have any desire to get into tubes? The HD800 can respond very well to them. My favorite paring currently with the HD800 is the Rogue RH5 headphone amp. Fantastic synergy... If totally solid state is your cup of tea a Questyle 800r would be a great amp.

This is always an age old question for most headfi'ers... To bounce between a bunch of cans OR search for just one, "the holy grail"!! I am from the camp of trying to refine my tastes enough to search for "the one". My buddy on the other hand owns around 10 or more headphones and likes to listen to a song and bounce between them. I think he just enjoys hearinf the difference of them all... In the end I think you're right though. Since they are rather small and easy to move around, headphones are something that people can own a ton of ha.

I started out listening to real low mp3's (by audiophiles standards they are low) on a mp3 player. That was all I knew about audio quality until I picked up a decent pair of headphones and listened to a Korn CD ha. I was blown away with what I had been missing all these years... Long story short you are not alone. The mp3 generation of kids really got screwed on what music actually is.

Anyways I can go on and on about that topic but ill cut to the chase. The bands you mentioned helps people know what you like, but also think about specifically what you like about them. What I mean is, do you like how hard the bass is? Does really high treble hurt your ears?

I recommend that you check out "best midfi cans" type forums to see who the contenders are for best bang for the buck. Then after that you could see what cheaper pairs sound close to those pairs... In the end hearing more and more headphones helps refine your taste and you will then be able to grasp ALL the dimensions that good quality gear and headphones bring to the table. This can be a very expensive hobby BUT once you figure out what you want this site is such a fantastic resource to pick peoples brains. I don't recommend blind buying something without hearing it, but I have bought blind multiple times from word of mouth on here and have been happy. I hope you have fun here and feel free to ask questions! Also check out your local hifi store/s to demo headphones!

Hmmm I think the Utopia is truly a TOTL headphone so to find its closed back brother isnt the easiest find. I think that the Mr. Speakers Ether Flow would be the most comparable that I know. Tonally its pretty neutral. The ability of the Utopia still outshines it though...

I just bounced between the Utopia and Ether closed right now off a iKuro turntable and Cambridge integrated amp. The Ether closed is definitely more forgiving of the source in this case. With that said I am getting better speed out of the Utopia. Hmm the more I am switching makes me wonder what would be the Utopias closed back equal!

I just hope Focal comes out with a closed back headphone that can be on par with the Utopia. That would be killer. Feel free to PM me if you want me to demo anything while I am at MTME today.

How do the Focal Clear compare to the Utopia?

Oct 20, 2017 at 3:07 PM Post #6,673 of 15,646
Longtime lurker and personal audio collector.

Have a whole variety of Sennheiser, Fostex, Massdrop, ZMF, Schiit, Sony, and Campfire Audio products...looking forward to contributing and learning from the group's collective experience.

Primarily a heavy metal listener, although select classic jazz, fusion, rock and even pop recordings make the rounds.

Oct 20, 2017 at 3:58 PM Post #6,674 of 15,646
How do the Focal Clear compare to the Utopia?

At RMAF I did an A/B between them that lasted for probably 10 min. The Focal Clears bass is slightly boosted and the treble has the edge taken off. Sometimes the Utopia can be fatiguing treble wise, but there is also this character to the treble of the Utopia that people usually refer to as *sparkle. I totally get the sparkle on the top end with the Utopia bit don’t get it as much with the Clear. I think that they tuned the Utopia to get that top end that’s excellent but at the cost of some fatigue from it.

Tonally the Clear is neutral with the bass being slightly boosted. The Utopia to me has the slightest bit of warmth and no where near the warmth of the Elear.

Soundstage width and depth I do not remember off the the top of my head so I will just leave that impression for when we get the Clear in MTME. I am going to do a YouTube video about Focal headphones, including the Clear soon after we get them in stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back