New Member Introductions thread
Oct 17, 2017 at 2:36 AM Post #6,651 of 15,519
Hi guys, I stumbled on this awesome community and read on the many advise on how I could start my audio journey. Being indecisive, I was dabbling and constantly changing my mind on which headset I should start off with..I guess that decision was made for me when Massdrop decided on another drop on the Sennheiser HD6XX and I was lucky to snag myself a pair. Now I have until December to decide on an Amp and Dac...so many choices (Schitt Stacks, Audio-GD NFB11.28, Aune X1s, JDS Labs The Element). All with their own merits which just makes my decision even harder :frowning2:

Oct 17, 2017 at 10:59 AM Post #6,653 of 15,519
Heya everyone!

I'm a long time forum stalker finally decided to make an account. In regards to music, I'm just a guy who enjoys listening to and discovering new things to listen to. My current gear is a Sennheiser HD 700 and Fostex TH-X00 powered by either a Centrance DACPort HD or a BottleHead Crack with Speedball.

Oct 17, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #6,654 of 15,519
greetings from the UK.
I have been into hifi all my life but am now joining the forum to tap into the fountain of knowledge on cans, DACs and players. Its all good. I am currently trying to get my Dragonfly Red to mate to my Android phone without success! More research on the forum required...

Oct 17, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #6,655 of 15,519
New member here and glad to be here I just discovered KZ headphones and Hi-Fi. My goal is to try and collect as many as I can. I'm new into the audiophile scene and I'm trying to learn as much as I can about it. I love music especially Hard Rock.

Oct 18, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #6,659 of 15,519
Head-fi lurker! Currently own HD800, Cavalli Liquid Carbon, and Matrix X-Sabre. Looking to upgrade my headphone amp :)
It depends on your budget... I think the LC and the HD800 is an excellent paring so right now I am glad you arent "hurting for good sound" :) Do you have any desire to get into tubes? The HD800 can respond very well to them. My favorite paring currently with the HD800 is the Rogue RH5 headphone amp. Fantastic synergy... If totally solid state is your cup of tea a Questyle 800r would be a great amp.

Good morning, my name is Nigel and I live in the East Midlands. Came to the forum via a recommendation from friend and fellow Head-Fier Nick (can't recall his monicker here) who has reported some interesting conversations here.

I have three hifi setups and two of these have headphones. At home here I have modded (chunkier cable) RS1's and an MF X-CANS, and at my man cave in my home town of Kendal where the other two setups live I have my trusty SR60s and no dedicated headphone amp. I still prefer the sound of the SR60s for some material.

I listen mainly on my ProAc D30R speakers and, like many start out I suspect, only use my phones when either I or the rest of the house want to put up a DO NOT DISTURB sign. Nevertheless, I still covet, based mainly on feedback from others, a pair of Sennheiser HD800s.

Perhaps it is the small form factor of headphones which allow people to own multiple pairs but there is a worrying pattern of people owning whole collections of headphones rather than just that one perfect-for-all-occasions pair. I guess resistance is futile. Oh dear.
This is always an age old question for most headfi'ers... To bounce between a bunch of cans OR search for just one, "the holy grail"!! I am from the camp of trying to refine my tastes enough to search for "the one". My buddy on the other hand owns around 10 or more headphones and likes to listen to a song and bounce between them. I think he just enjoys hearinf the difference of them all... In the end I think you're right though. Since they are rather small and easy to move around, headphones are something that people can own a ton of ha.

Hi, my name is Simon 34 y\o male from richmond , ca. I'm a long time music lover, and just recently realizing I can listen to much better sounding music. I currently have a terrible sounding set up of a cracked nano 6th gen and some urban ears. I'm still getting used to terminology and trying to wrap my head around the community to find out what I should wrap around my head. My favorite bands currently are constantly changing but I like alt-j, decent banheart, destroyer, st. Vincent, tv on the radio, Lord huron, group love, milky chance, Owen pallet, YACHT, Mac demarco, rubble bucket, major lazer, taken by trees, yeasayer, tune yards, blackalicious, acealone, Alabama shakes, ahnone. As far as newer music goes anyway. I prefer live music but I can't always do that. Trying to find the next best thing. I also find weed and music to be a fine pairing indeed:)
I started out listening to real low mp3's (by audiophiles standards they are low) on a mp3 player. That was all I knew about audio quality until I picked up a decent pair of headphones and listened to a Korn CD ha. I was blown away with what I had been missing all these years... Long story short you are not alone. The mp3 generation of kids really got screwed on what music actually is.

Anyways I can go on and on about that topic but ill cut to the chase. The bands you mentioned helps people know what you like, but also think about specifically what you like about them. What I mean is, do you like how hard the bass is? Does really high treble hurt your ears?

I recommend that you check out "best midfi cans" type forums to see who the contenders are for best bang for the buck. Then after that you could see what cheaper pairs sound close to those pairs... In the end hearing more and more headphones helps refine your taste and you will then be able to grasp ALL the dimensions that good quality gear and headphones bring to the table. This can be a very expensive hobby BUT once you figure out what you want this site is such a fantastic resource to pick peoples brains. I don't recommend blind buying something without hearing it, but I have bought blind multiple times from word of mouth on here and have been happy. I hope you have fun here and feel free to ask questions! Also check out your local hifi store/s to demo headphones!

So my next purchase down the road will probably be the Focal Utopia. Is there any closed back headphones comparable to them? Or what would the closest thing be?
Hmmm I think the Utopia is truly a TOTL headphone so to find its closed back brother isnt the easiest find. I think that the Mr. Speakers Ether Flow would be the most comparable that I know. Tonally its pretty neutral. The ability of the Utopia still outshines it though...

I just bounced between the Utopia and Ether closed right now off a iKuro turntable and Cambridge integrated amp. The Ether closed is definitely more forgiving of the source in this case. With that said I am getting better speed out of the Utopia. Hmm the more I am switching makes me wonder what would be the Utopias closed back equal!

I just hope Focal comes out with a closed back headphone that can be on par with the Utopia. That would be killer. Feel free to PM me if you want me to demo anything while I am at MTME today.

Oct 18, 2017 at 1:09 PM Post #6,660 of 15,519
Hey all, looooooong time lurker ever since I bought my HD555's in high school. I've since been drawn back into the hobby by my AKG 553's that I aquired last year for work, and my HD555's starting to fall apart.

I've gotten awesome mileage out of them and have been eyeing an upgrade for a while. Now I'm waiting on my 6XX's to be delivered by Massdrop :D I love the warmth of my 555's but the 553's have opened my eyes a bit to the variety that's out there!

Looking around for a good amp+DAC to dip my toes into that area. Schiit is super appealing, think I want to get my feet under me with a SS and then look into tubes once I have a better idea of what's out there.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back