New Member Introductions thread
Oct 13, 2017 at 6:29 PM Post #6,631 of 15,646
New member here, wanted to post in a specific thread regarding the KEF M100's. I jsut paid almost one hundred pounds for them and they SUCK. Ok they don't suck but the improvement over my bog standard AKG earphones, the improvement is literally 10%. I'm incredibly disappointed. I was looking into ear phones with SOUND STAGE and clarity. These are wide, but not by much and the lows and highs are TRASH.

*Sigh* OK I'm done. I want to make a thread on the best in ear's under £150, I might just give up and grab the Sony Z5's.
Welcome, @VPSH--sorry about your situation. Have you looked into the RHA MA750 or the 1More Triple or (better yet) the 1More Quad Driver? They are worth a look in your price range, IMO. Can you return the KEFs?

Oct 13, 2017 at 6:33 PM Post #6,632 of 15,646
Welcome, @VPSH--sorry about your situation. Have you looked into the RHA MA750 or the 1More Triple or (better yet) the 1More Quad Driver? They are worth a look in your price range, IMO. Can you return the KEFs?
Hey serman,thanks for the reply. I am returning the KEF's tomorrow morning. Maybe it's because I have AKG 551's the change to these have made them appear worse than they are, BUT I plug in my AKG earphones (supplied with my mobile phone!) and the sound improvement is so pathetic. My Mobo has a good built in sound chip (Realtek SupremeFX 2014) so I know it can't be that.

But back to your suggestions, I will look into these now, I'll check out the reviews, thanks!

Oct 13, 2017 at 6:43 PM Post #6,633 of 15,646
OK So I had a look at the reviews (Glad to see they're lot of them, since the KEF M100's have about 2 reviews online! I should have never touched them!).

These 1More Triples, I've got a quote;

"Sound wise i found them a little too relaxed, almost buttery. Good sound stage width but the smoothness kind of impacted detail making them sound a bit too recessed. I'm not saying they lack detail, but maybe resolution. Bass is deep but a bit wooly. Hasn't got that speed which can make the low end slightly muddy at times. I like the highs as they are non fatiguing but that lack of clarity won't be for everyone as they might feel they are missing something in their music. The smooth sound does mean that instruments and can sound a little cluttered and lack separation. Vocals are nice though."

The 1More Quads are priced too high, infact I am now considering getting full size cans. My current ones are AKG 551, but without the original pads (which AKG don't even do) they don't sound as good.

I wanted headphones that have beutiful space and clarity along with deep bass, great mids and clean highs (OK this sounds like I'm asking for perfection lol)

I think I've narrowed down my choices;

Senn HD800 (Probably not even worth it on price) but not Closed (I would def prefer closed for stopping sound leak)

Beyer DT880 (These seem like a good choice, but are the better than my AKG551 or K712?

AKG K712 or K702? Another brand like Audeze LCD2?

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2017 at 7:48 PM Post #6,634 of 15,646
Hi guys,
Just joined this forum so that I can interact with like minded folks. A bit of background, I am new to IEMs and CIEMs though not new to music appreciation. I am into ICE and Home systems. My ICE is using Steg, Seas Lotus, Motel, Ramm cables and Van den hul. Running 501 with 701 processor. Home using Jamo. I hope I can learn a few things from u guys on this new journey. Appreciate all your advices, help and inputs. Cheers.

Oct 13, 2017 at 10:31 PM Post #6,635 of 15,646
OK So I had a look at the reviews (Glad to see they're lot of them, since the KEF M100's have about 2 reviews online! I should have never touched them!).

These 1More Triples, I've got a quote;

"Sound wise i found them a little too relaxed, almost buttery. Good sound stage width but the smoothness kind of impacted detail making them sound a bit too recessed. I'm not saying they lack detail, but maybe resolution. Bass is deep but a bit wooly. Hasn't got that speed which can make the low end slightly muddy at times. I like the highs as they are non fatiguing but that lack of clarity won't be for everyone as they might feel they are missing something in their music. The smooth sound does mean that instruments and can sound a little cluttered and lack separation. Vocals are nice though."

The 1More Quads are priced too high, infact I am now considering getting full size cans. My current ones are AKG 551, but without the original pads (which AKG don't even do) they don't sound as good.

I wanted headphones that have beutiful space and clarity along with deep bass, great mids and clean highs (OK this sounds like I'm asking for perfection lol)

I think I've narrowed down my choices;

Senn HD800 (Probably not even worth it on price) but not Closed (I would def prefer closed for stopping sound leak)

Beyer DT880 (These seem like a good choice, but are the better than my AKG551 or K712?

AKG K712 or K702? Another brand like Audeze LCD2?
The DT880, K712 Pro, and K702 are all, as with the HD800, open. Do you want open or closed? What is the budget for these cans?

Oct 14, 2017 at 3:33 AM Post #6,636 of 15,646
Good morning, my name is Nigel and I live in the East Midlands. Came to the forum via a recommendation from friend and fellow Head-Fier Nick (can't recall his monicker here) who has reported some interesting conversations here.

I have three hifi setups and two of these have headphones. At home here I have modded (chunkier cable) RS1's and an MF X-CANS, and at my man cave in my home town of Kendal where the other two setups live I have my trusty SR60s and no dedicated headphone amp. I still prefer the sound of the SR60s for some material.

I listen mainly on my ProAc D30R speakers and, like many start out I suspect, only use my phones when either I or the rest of the house want to put up a DO NOT DISTURB sign. Nevertheless, I still covet, based mainly on feedback from others, a pair of Sennheiser HD800s.

Perhaps it is the small form factor of headphones which allow people to own multiple pairs but there is a worrying pattern of people owning whole collections of headphones rather than just that one perfect-for-all-occasions pair. I guess resistance is futile. Oh dear.

Oct 14, 2017 at 3:48 AM Post #6,637 of 15,646
New to this site also. I have been visiting for awhile but found something I wanted to buy so I decided to sign up. Now I have to wait out my newbie time lol. Always into better than normal listening experience now getting into trying to figure out the finer things.

Oct 14, 2017 at 6:52 PM Post #6,640 of 15,646
Hello, I'm Jonny and use head-fi fairly often so decided to join. I currently have a pair of Sennheiser HD 598, Massdrop AKG 7xx, and recently picked up the HD 800. As for dac/amps I have the smsl m6, fx-audio x6, and smsl idea. I am looking to get something better to drive the HD 800 and that is the primary reason I joined.

Oct 14, 2017 at 10:29 PM Post #6,641 of 15,646
I want closed, to isolate sound from outside. Budget is no more than £400
Maybe check out a MEZE 99 Classics or a B&W P7 (or P9 if you can find one used) and see what you think. It is possible one of them could work for you. Maybe also look at a ZMF Vibro Mk. II, which is also excellent--not sure about availability in your location. You will have to check. Lastly, the NAD HP50 is really terrific-sounding and within your budget--definitely also worth a peek. Some thoughts, FWIW. As always, YMMV, of course.

Oct 15, 2017 at 9:28 AM Post #6,642 of 15,646
Hello, I've been into the Hi-fi stuff for a little while now. Not really going super far into it, but pretty much gonna stay at the entry level of products that's pretty decent quality for the price (e.g. audio technica ath-m50x for headphones). I hope we can all get along! Moving right along, I've been trying to decide which DAP to purchase recently and would very much like the input of others. Please look into my full post here if you're willing to lend your thoughts.

Oct 15, 2017 at 3:14 PM Post #6,643 of 15,646
Hi there! I got acrossed this forum long ago and fortunately was able to find the necessary information without registration, but at some point decided it`d be more convinient not to search for somebody with the similar questions, but to ask personally. As for the Gear - Beyers 770 and Sennheisers IE4 were quite enough for me, for the money both costed, though i hear that both have many issues with the sound i wish that didn`t exist. The question is how much weight should my wallet lose in order for me to get what i`m looking forward, that`s what i`ll be trying to figure out with you guys.

Oct 15, 2017 at 4:07 PM Post #6,644 of 15,646
Hi, my name is Simon 34 y\o male from richmond , ca. I'm a long time music lover, and just recently realizing I can listen to much better sounding music. I currently have a terrible sounding set up of a cracked nano 6th gen and some urban ears. I'm still getting used to terminology and trying to wrap my head around the community to find out what I should wrap around my head. My favorite bands currently are constantly changing but I like alt-j, decent banheart, destroyer, st. Vincent, tv on the radio, Lord huron, group love, milky chance, Owen pallet, YACHT, Mac demarco, rubble bucket, major lazer, taken by trees, yeasayer, tune yards, blackalicious, acealone, Alabama shakes, ahnone. As far as newer music goes anyway. I prefer live music but I can't always do that. Trying to find the next best thing. I also find weed and music to be a fine pairing indeed:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back