New Member Introductions thread
Jul 12, 2017 at 1:06 PM Post #6,031 of 15,537
Hi everybody!

The name's Dave. I'm new here (obviously) and I'm just looking to get a little more into the world of headphones. I currently have a pair of ATH M50s that I'm looking to "graduate" from so to speak. If anyone has any suggestions let me know!
Well with headphones you have a LOT to choose from (which is awesome) I like to inform new members (and any one starting out in the world of headphones) to think of what parts of music you enjoy the most be it drums, guitar, synth sound, classical music, bass, jazz trios, 4 person bagpipe quartet..... lol anything that you enjoy, think about what you like and then ask for guidance among those specifics. That will give a member here a criteria on how to direct you. Also! max budget is a big help as well!

-Craig

Jul 12, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #6,032 of 15,537
Hello, my user name is Almostbulletproof - long story - but my name is Peter. I am totally blind and use a screen reader to access my computer so forgive me for my errors posting. This is not an easy website to use for the blind! I have the following setup:

Schiit Lyr (original) currently using some Jan Philips 6922 tubes but I roll tubes every once in a while, just can't afford the Telefunken E288CC's that I want. I have some new Genelex that I will try out soon.

Schiit Bifrost with uSB and multibit upgrades.

I really like Schiit products and have slowly upgraded over the past couple years to where I am right now. Maybe someday I'll up to a Mjolnir?

I have Pangea power cables, a Charleston Cable RCA interconnects and Moon Audio Black Dragon USB connected in the middle of the two cables to a Schiit USB Decrappifier. My music server is a Dell XPS quad core with 500GB solid state drive and 32GB RAM. I use JPlay software along with Foobar to play FLAC and WAV files. I mainly listen to classic rock and pop and hard rock with some digressions intoclassical and female jazz vocalists.

I run the power out of an APC UPS that is plugged into a Leviton hospital grade wall outlet.

It's all kind of an entry-level wannabe audiophile setup I know but it sounds great to me.

Headphones are currently HEX V2's with a fine cable from Chris at Charleston Cable company; his "audiophile" level headphone cable in a 10 ft long format with the 1/4" termination.

I also have a pair of HFM HE 560 with a PlusSound Echo cable that I am looking to sell for $550 once I figure out how to post in the Headphones For Sale forum.

In the past I've owned BD DT-990's which I liked, PSb M4U's that I did not like and returned after they literally fell apart in one week, and Senn HD 650's that I really liked and HFM HE 500's that I also really liked. I obviously have a fondness for HiFiMan and love the Edition X V2's that I bought about a month ago for the most part. The clamping force is not quite tight enough to my liking but most people probably like it that way. My other headphones have the screw on type connection and I do like the change to the 2.5mm plugs.

If you reply to this post and I don't, it's only because I haven't figured out how to find and reply yet! :)

For a new member you clearly have been in this hobby a long time.... At least it seems that way!

Recently the site has undergone a big overhaul, so a lot of it has changed from what it used to be. best of luck trying to figure it out. I also wish I could describe how to find things for you, but I figure I wouldn't be able to translate it in a way to make sense... For what its worth I saw no problems with anything you wrote.

-Craig

Jul 12, 2017 at 2:10 PM Post #6,033 of 15,537
Hello, I'm John.

I'm a lifelong musician and music fan, and am just getting back into audio stuff after a few years break- children have limited my time listening and definitely budget.

I'm currently using a few pairs of KZ 'phones and a pair of noise cancelling Sony on ears. I've got may earbuds, some of which are good, most of which are poor.

DAP's include the AGPTEK M20 (aka Benjie S5), a modded iPod mini (Rockboxed and CF upgraded to 32Gb) and the Zishan Z1.

A word of thanks to all on here for advice already received.

Jul 12, 2017 at 4:44 PM Post #6,034 of 15,537
Hello, I'm Aaron

I've been lurking in the forums for awhile. Reading up on as many different headphones as possible. I'm currently looking for something in the sub-$200 range to use during my commute. I prefer over-ear or on-ear. Use would be mostly for Netflix and music streamed from Google Play (indie rock, pop punk, classic rock, 60's R&B/soul).

Was wondering if the M50x might be the way to go while they are on sale.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2017 at 12:40 AM Post #6,039 of 15,537
Hey everyone. I'm hendo! A lover of classic rock and electronic music. I've been an electric guitarist for 16 years and an avid music fan. I'm currently running dt770 pros with a apogee groove and on a search for some better closed back headphones to use at work.

Jul 15, 2017 at 7:03 PM Post #6,043 of 15,537
Well with headphones you have a LOT to choose from (which is awesome) I like to inform new members (and any one starting out in the world of headphones) to think of what parts of music you enjoy the most be it drums, guitar, synth sound, classical music, bass, jazz trios, 4 person bagpipe quartet..... lol anything that you enjoy, think about what you like and then ask for guidance among those specifics. That will give a member here a criteria on how to direct you. Also! max budget is a big help as well!

-Craig

Well, my max budget is around $300, I could maybe go up by like $50 if there was an awesome deal on a pair of headphones. As for music, I listen to a fairly large spread. I really enjoy alt rock and punk music, like Jack White and Blink-182, but I also like orchestral soundtracks and softer listening, such as the Avett Brothers or the Oh Hellos. Oh and I like Blues rock (think Alabama Shakes) a lot. I've looked at the HD 598 and the HD 600 some, as well as the ath msr7 and the Sony mdr1a. Haven't looked into amping or DACs really. I listen to most of my music using Tidal either on my phone (iPhone 6s) or my laptop.

Any and all pointers would be appreciated!

Edit: I also listen to John Mayer a fair amount, I think the quality of his recordings is generally superb, and he's an incredibly talented guitarist

Edit 2.0: I am also a musician and like to record so headphones that both sound good with music and are decent as monitors would be a plus

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2017 at 7:35 PM Post #6,044 of 15,537
Hi everyone,
My name is Koen (it's dutch). I've been reading some stuff on this forum for some while so I thought it was time to make an account so I can participate in discussions. Looking forward to being a part of the community!
Hi everyone,
My name is Koen (it's dutch). I've been reading some stuff on this forum for some while so I thought it was time to make an account so I can participate in discussions. Looking forward to being a part of the community!
Welcome, @Koen!! We are all very sorry about your wallet... ---)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back