New Member Introductions thread
Mar 5, 2015 at 8:54 AM Post #1,366 of 15,585
Greetings all,
I've been to this site doing research on getting into the wonderful world of Hi-Fi. I've currently got ... nothing. I'm looking for portable music options and eventually a home system. I've always been leery of spending lots of my hard earned cash on a set of headphones when I don't often listen to music that way. Usually I listen at work or in the car. However I got myself a noob set of headphones and they're the best I've used. So now I find myself spending MORE time enjoying listening to music.. Get something nice and low and behold you start using it more!? Who'd a thunk?

I'm all about Clarity over volume but I do like a good kick in the bass department. I listen to hard rock, heavy metal, industrial with some pop and country mixed in. My car is covered for the moment but I need some headphones and a DAC/Amp. I'm currently looking into an E17 and a set of ATH-m50x's for my portable use. Just to dip my toe in the water.

Anyhow, nice to meet ya and I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions, thanks in advance.

Mar 6, 2015 at 12:47 AM Post #1,368 of 15,585
Hi, I have a marantz sr5009, is the a amplifier by marantz good to get next? Right now I have Klipsch speakers (small) 5.1 setup out of a 7.2, im looking to get tower speakers or just some bookself speakers for the front floor speakers then possibly another subwoofer, BUT,
Then would getting a marantz amplifier be good and get 2 more tower speakers for the back? Or possibly just the sides?

I have 2 front speakers in the 2 front corners at the top of my room,
2 speakers in the top corners in the back,
A center cannel speaker,
Then a subwoofer,

So again after adding tower speakers in the front,
Would tower speakers be good in the back or sides?

Thanks

Mar 6, 2015 at 12:54 AM Post #1,369 of 15,585
Hi, I have a marantz sr5009, is the a amplifier by marantz good to get next? Right now I have Klipsch speakers (small) 5.1 setup out of a 7.2, im looking to get tower speakers or just some bookself speakers for the front floor speakers then possibly another subwoofer, BUT,
Then would getting a marantz amplifier be good and get 2 more tower speakers for the back? Or possibly just the sides?

I have 2 front speakers in the 2 front corners at the top of my room,
2 speakers in the top corners in the back,
A center cannel speaker,
Then a subwoofer,

So again after adding tower speakers in the front,
Would tower speakers be good in the back or sides?

Thanks

I'd suggest talking to the guys over at AVS in the speaker forum: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/. That's what they do all day long. Help people figure out what to do to improve their setup. But first, read the first post in their Speaker FAQ: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/1628561-basic-speaker-setup-faq.html. If nothing else, it will help you know what information you need to give to get help.

Mar 6, 2015 at 1:42 AM Post #1,371 of 15,585
Informative comments here....for most part.
Had to move from big house to condo so I've been looking at new headphones.Over ear Sennheiser Momentum reviews are pretty decent.Any comments from owners besides reviewers?

Mar 6, 2015 at 6:04 PM Post #1,374 of 15,585
Hi,

I am new in this forum, lhave a nice day.

Mar 8, 2015 at 12:28 AM Post #1,375 of 15,585
Hey all,

Recently joined after many hours lurking and learning here.  I'm just about to get my first real high-quality set up (next week), after a few years in the entry-level IEM and headphone category.  Awesome amount of info here!

Mar 8, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #1,376 of 15,585
Hi everyone,

In the last several weeks I bought a pair of V-Moda Crossfade M-100 headphones and a FiiO E12A portable amp to use with my longtime iPod Classic, and have loved them so much that I wrote an article about why portable headphone systems are a million times better than car stereos. I was wanting to post my article in the Head-Fi forum for full-size headphones, since most headphone fans will probably enjoy it. See you around!

Mar 8, 2015 at 12:24 PM Post #1,377 of 15,585
Hey!
My name is Matěj, or Matthew in English and I just joined this forum after lurking for quite a while, I am fan of over-ear headphones but don't really have any true music headphones, I am the budget type of "audiophile" (heh, not audiophile) since I am student with no money, or even right for something like Sennheiser HD800. I hope that I might help anybody when I get more knowledge about audio.
Cya!

Mar 8, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #1,378 of 15,585
Hello,

My name is Jack andI really new to the audiophile world but I'm thinking of making an investment in the HD650. I'm a computer engineering student and I have some background in signal processing. So, I was thinking of building my own headphone-amplifier. My friends recommended me this site but he said that it's not very newby friendly. However, I would appreciate if anyone can recommend me to a thread regarding building headphone amplifier. Eventually, I would like to be able to design amplifier myself so I am looking forward to learning.

Cheers!

Mar 8, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #1,379 of 15,585
  Hello,

My name is Jack andI really new to the audiophile world but I'm thinking of making an investment in the HD650. I'm a computer engineering student and I have some background in signal processing. So, I was thinking of building my own headphone-amplifier. My friends recommended me this site but he said that it's not very newby friendly. However, I would appreciate if anyone can recommend me to a thread regarding building headphone amplifier. Eventually, I would like to be able to design amplifier myself so I am looking forward to learning.

Cheers!

Welcome to HF. Here is a book I would highly recommend to get started.

http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Basic-Electronics-Softcover-ARRL/dp/0872590828/ref=sr_1_8?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1425834163&sr=1-8&keywords=arrl

And here are some great kits that come complete with schematics and are fun to build while developing your skills. 

http://stores.ebay.com/NightFire-Electronic-Kits

Mar 8, 2015 at 2:02 PM Post #1,380 of 15,585
My name is Doug and I am already sorry about my wallet 
L3000.gif

I actually have been a member previously, but my email address changed and I thought it was better anyway to get a fresh start.
I disappeared from the forum for some years after buying my JH16 customs. After all, I figured, now I have the best IEM's around and what is the use of lusting after yet more gear? So for several years I used my 16's, enjoyed music, and became oblivious to the release of new gear.

My itch to return to the fray came when I sweated up my JH16's at the gym and had to send them in for maintenance. I realized it was probably not wise to risk my precious customs in the pursuit of fitness. But since I value my aural experience while working out, I went in search of the "ideal workout earphones or headphones." I still am looking for same, after trying five or six different IEM's. I guess the JH16's set a high bar. 

I still think my customs are terrific, but I also realize that just getting a pair (or three) of terrific phones is not the only purpose of being a headphone gearhead. The journey is the reward, really. It's fun to try different pieces of kit to see how they differ. The various sound signatures and approaches to fit, finish, and usability are endlessly fascinating. To me, the competition between makers to win the hearts and ears of the audiophile public represents the best of a world capitalist system that has its share of downsides. As I get older, I think, "Wow, the world may be going to hell, but the STUFF keeps getting better." Ah, the contradictions.

Meanwhile, as my headphone and IEM collection slowly grows larger, I till looking for those ideal workout cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back