New Member Introductions thread
Apr 7, 2018 at 12:40 PM Post #7,741 of 15,543
An observation which supports this is that, comparing the iPhone X and Hugo 2 using the LCD3, the iPhone is just about loud enough when turned up near max, but the sound quality is lousy compared to the Hugo 2. The frequency spectrum is there, but the sound seems unpleasantly 'choked', even though I don't hear any obvious clipping. Maybe it illustrates that power is needed to produce sound quality, not just sound volume.

I like Spotify's discovery features much more than Tidal. If Spotify introduces CD-quality, I'll likely dump Tidal. With the Hugo 2 and LCD3, I generally don't notice much difference in sound quality, and I think Spotify premium is audiophile quality, though on one particular track I did notice a big difference (I suspect that something was wrong with the Spotify track).
Great to know the combination Hugo2 using the LCD3 - I noticed that the different combinations DAC - amp - headphones will favour one or the other source (Tidal or Spotify for example)

Apr 8, 2018 at 5:43 AM Post #7,743 of 15,543
Hello, My name is Jeff.
Long time user of Sennheiser HD 580 Jubilee phones through a McCormack Micro Headphone drive, since around the mid 1990s.
Every time I use them to listen to music, any thoughts of upgrading completely flees my brain. I seem to just think what album should I play next.

Recently, after reading one review too many, and seeing a great discount form a dealer, I made an initial foray into Planar Magnetic phones, a Hifiman HE 400i. Then because the cord was so short, I started looking at cable replacements. So, of course, I wound up here. That, in turn, brought up new amps, like the Schiit Valhalla, and Woo WA-6. And upgraditis reared its ugly head once more. Sigh ...

I had to register to ask questions and this seemed the requisite place to initialize the process.

Apr 9, 2018 at 12:40 PM Post #7,746 of 15,543
Hello, My name is Jeff.
Long time user of Sennheiser HD 580 Jubilee phones through a McCormack Micro Headphone drive, since around the mid 1990s.
Every time I use them to listen to music, any thoughts of upgrading completely flees my brain. I seem to just think what album should I play next.

Recently, after reading one review too many, and seeing a great discount form a dealer, I made an initial foray into Planar Magnetic phones, a Hifiman HE 400i. Then because the cord was so short, I started looking at cable replacements. So, of course, I wound up here. That, in turn, brought up new amps, like the Schiit Valhalla, and Woo WA-6. And upgraditis reared its ugly head once more. Sigh ...

I had to register to ask questions and this seemed the requisite place to initialize the process.
you reminded me of the times I am on youtube to watch a specific video and then I see the videos to my right and think "that sounds interesting ill watch that..." then 2 hours later I am like "how did I end up watching a video on "highest max vertical in the world"" lol.

I hope you find what your looking for and don't forget to enjoy the gear you have :beerchug:
What's up! I'm new here and new to the HiFi community! Rocking an HD600 and looking for a good close back.
Check out the Meze 99 classic or the Meze 99 Neo. Both are a killer closed back. They are a little warmer then the HD600 and added bass. Just a very fun listen!
Had to create this new account because I couldn't get into my usual one after the site revamp.
I hope that all is well now with the new name, and I hope you got the tissues handy

Apr 9, 2018 at 1:30 PM Post #7,747 of 15,543
Hey All
Im Shawn, and im from Buffalo New York. Been playing the custom HIFI game for a few years.

I am currently working on a set of custom Grados. Unfortunately, I am still waiting on Turbulent Labs to get me my new driver.
27401891298_47b6e4ea5c_b.jpg

Ive done a few other projects so far.

Pro-Ject Headbox II
41346712211_c98e28e2eb_h.jpg

Thorens TD-160
38232952074_e576f6b4d4_b.jpg

Rega RP6
29519472622_a1cd93e26c_h.jpg

H.H, Scott LK-72
34989325415_0efbab97b8_h.jpg

Hopefully more to come.

Apr 9, 2018 at 3:29 PM Post #7,748 of 15,543
Hey All
Im Shawn, and im from Buffalo New York. Been playing the custom HIFI game for a few years.

I am currently working on a set of custom Grados. Unfortunately, I am still waiting on Turbulent Labs to get me my new driver.
27401891298_47b6e4ea5c_b.jpg

Ive done a few other projects so far.

Pro-Ject Headbox II
41346712211_c98e28e2eb_h.jpg

Thorens TD-160
38232952074_e576f6b4d4_b.jpg

Rega RP6
29519472622_a1cd93e26c_h.jpg

H.H, Scott LK-72
34989325415_0efbab97b8_h.jpg

Hopefully more to come.
Nice Nice Nice Nice!
especially the TD-160.

Apr 9, 2018 at 3:45 PM Post #7,749 of 15,543
Hello, My name is Jeff.

Apr 9, 2018 at 4:34 PM Post #7,750 of 15,543
The HD 580 Jubillee phones are great - no wonder you are a long time user -
Suggestion:
Try a single ended triode amp (that can drive the 300 Ohm impedance).
The differences in impedance, the amps that output for a wide array of impedances (e.g. 16 to 300) are to avoid when using high impedance headphones.
On the contrary, precise matching provide a close to ideal response from many points of view.

Apr 10, 2018 at 11:32 AM Post #7,755 of 15,543
Hello my name is Denver, headphone addict for a year now, been trying to curve my addiction but I just keep falling back.

Sorry I just had to make a joke about how everyone that introduces themselves almost sound like their in rehab (hi my name is _, I have _ *everyone else*: Hi _). But in all seriousness I'm just getting into hifi and consider it all really interesting to the point I'd consider it a hobby. I only have 2 headphones if that tells you anything, the sennheiser hd558 (foam mod) and the monolith m560 planar headphones, I'd like to own more but my wallet sheds tears each time I look at another set of headphones (Oh my word those look awesome and people say they sound amazing, huh? their 2,000 dollars, well frick me I could could go on a vacation to hawaii for that much). I also make music and release it on soundcloud under the name Bushido caugh* shameless promotion caugh*. That's all I have to say really, hope you guys appreciate my way of trying to make a different introduction ,emphasis on trying. Well anyway, sorry for wasting you guys time, you may now resume looking at other peoples more intelligent posts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back