1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

New Member Introductions thread

First

Back
506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515
517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526
Next

Last
  1. Overlord041
    Just checking in, the forum looks good!

2. Sugokutanoshi
    Greetings

3. heavy headbanger
    I have a DAC, that's a digital audio converter hooked to the external speakers on my desk top computer. I can link my phone via bluetooth & play that music through the computer speakers. Sounds so much better than the crappy cell phone speaker. Got a 3 piece order from Schiit Audio heading my way for headphone use.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
  4. Phronesis
    I just joined the forum today and saw this new members introductions thread, so I thought I should introduce myself.

I was into audio when I was young (decades ago), and my interest has been rekindled after discovering Spotify and Tidal several months ago.

For head-fi, so far I've purchased the Dragonfly Red, Chord Mojo, Hugo 2, SE535, LCD-3, B&W PX, and several of the Audio Technical studio headphones (which don't really cut it now, after purchasing the LCD-3). I also have the KEF LS50W speaker system, but I find myself using the head-fi a lot more.

I'm a hobbyist musician, and like a wide variety of music (jazz-rock fusion, jazz, rock, classical, etc.).

5. BunnyNamedCraig
    you got some serious gear! What kind of jazz rock fusion you into now? I am always on the look out for new tracks

6. Markfm
    Hi all!

I grew up with NAD amps and Genesis 2 speakers in the late 70s, just getting around to poking at some newer audio equipment. I came across this forum looking for intelligent information on the Benjie T6 DAP, glad I found it - a friendly forum, with a lot of knowledgeable people willing to share their insights ☺

I'm looking at a pair of Sennheiser HD 4.50 BTNC headphones to use with the T6 at work and on travel, hopefully they'll be a good match.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
  7. Yassa
    Hi my name is Yasith Siri and i listen to different types of music genre. Looking forward to learn new things.

Gear I own:

Schiit Jotunheim
    Sennheiser HD650
    Audeze LCD2C

Astell&Kern AK70
    64Audio A12t
    Jomo Audio Flamenco

Markfm likes this.
  8. solgoodguy
    Hi Everyone!

I'm still pretty new to the audio game and I'm looking forward to learning a lot from you guys!

Gear:
    Massdrop SDAC + CTH
    Fulla 2 (for work)
    Oppo HA2-SE

Headphones:
    Massdrop HD6xx
    Fostex TX0
    Audio Technica A900Z

IEMs:
    Campfire Audio Orion
    Campfire Audio Andromeda
    Thinksound ts03
    Acoustune 1501
    Fitear TG! 334
    Kumitate Labs Sirius

Yassa likes this.
  9. Phronesis
    The gear is because I bought stuff that I thought was a bit pricey and assumed it would be good enough, then discovered that things can sound even better, though the relationship between price and sound quality generally seems to be exponential (I'm afraid to listen to the LCD-4). If I was starting from scratch, I wouldn't have some of that stuff, but I suppose it helped me learn what I like and don't like, and the reasons why.

To me, Allan Holdsworth exemplifies what I think of as jazz-rock fusion, but I don't if anyone quite does that now, though Tim Miller is kind of similar sometimes. More on the jazz end, I'm listening to things like Jazz Pistols, Phronesis (hence my screen name), Trichotomy, and Vijay Iyer. More on the rock side, new stuff I like includes Plini, Jakub Zytecki, Animals as Leaders, and Haken.

10. BunnyNamedCraig
    Hey thanks for all the bands!! I’ll check them out. I am always up for new music, let alone I have been on a big jazz kick as of late. I have been listening to mainly experimental jazz but jazz rock sounds right up my alley.

I would love to get more time with the LCD4 my self... I liked it the handful of times I have heard it.

In regards to the gear It was only a compliment. I’m a huge fan of the Mojo and Hugo 2!

11. Phronesis
    My little DAC/amp story:

I was actually very skeptical that DAC/Amps made a significant difference. So I got the DF Red as a substitute for the iPhone internal DAC/amp. But I saw the great reviews for Mojo, and Red didn't have enough power to drive the Audio Technica R70X, so I got the Mojo too. Comparing them back to back, I noticed that Red sounded a bit glassier, and Mojo sounded a bit warmer and bigger, but I didn't make much of it. In the local store, I had a chance to compare the $500 Mojo and the big $4500 McIntosh MHA150 DAC/amp through the Utopia, and they sounded very similar, though I was tempted to say that I liked the Mojo more. But that got me thinking that maybe the Mojo held its own because this Chord stuff is really good, so I compared the Mojo to the (discontinued) Hugo, and I was frankly shocked that the Hugo had noticeably stronger and better controlled bass, more detail, and a larger and more dynamic overall sound (my expectation was that they would sound pretty much the same, and I was biased to them sounding the same rather than different). I then compared the Mojo to the Hugo 2 through the LCD-3, and the differences were similar to what I observed between the Mojo and Hugo, so I decided to splurge and get the Hugo 2 also.

BunnyNamedCraig and studer like this.
  12. studer
    Enjoyable trip I would say; I went through many situations when a DAC sounded so different compared to others and regardless the price sometimes (not so ofter though).
    I was intrigued by the McIntosh too, had the chance to test it in a store here in Vancouver.
    Hugo2 as well. I would suggest investigating the differences in design/architecture, there are many options, digital "filters" and the technology is quite amazing.
    I personally prefer NOS DACs with triode amplification and find that educating oneself when listening for test purposes is a challenge.
    Also most importantly the amplification is of the essence regardless the DAC chip.

13. studer
    Nice to hear Spotify and Tidal interest so many people here - Spotify (my preference) could sound quite good (premium) even if there is a lossy codec involved.
    Sinergy with DAC and amp is interesting and the result can be quite dramatic if you did a blind test and compare the two.

14. Phronesis
    An observation which supports this is that, comparing the iPhone X and Hugo 2 using the LCD3, the iPhone is just about loud enough when turned up near max, but the sound quality is lousy compared to the Hugo 2. The frequency spectrum is there, but the sound seems unpleasantly 'choked', even though I don't hear any obvious clipping. Maybe it illustrates that power is needed to produce sound quality, not just sound volume.

I like Spotify's discovery features much more than Tidal. If Spotify introduces CD-quality, I'll likely dump Tidal. With the Hugo 2 and LCD3, I generally don't notice much difference in sound quality, and I think Spotify premium is audiophile quality, though on one particular track I did notice a big difference (I suspect that something was wrong with the Spotify track).

15. BunnyNamedCraig
    Speaking of- I like Apple Music because of their album descriptions. I don’t know who their writers are but their exceptional.

In regards to quality I am content with Apple. We have Tidal at store so I use that too. I never dabbled with Spotify

First

Back
506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515
517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526
Next

Last