New Member Introductions thread
Aug 11, 2017 at 12:52 AM Post #6,256 of 15,525
You will totally learn about subjective nature here! ha Make sure you ask questions to members like "what else have you heard? "What is your general preferences?" Whats good for the goose may not be good for the gander. When helping people I ask the same questions that way I can find what THEY like. Since sound is so subjective... Hope you have fun here

-Craig

Thank you Craig, I keep hearing great things about the Focal Elear and reading the impressions thread reinforced that. Have you heard them and what was your take on the Focal Elear?

Aug 11, 2017 at 8:23 AM Post #6,257 of 15,525
Hello all,

My name is Scott, and I'm a headphonaholic. Hope this is the right meeting.

Currently have HD800, HD600, HD6XX, Shure 1540, Fostex TH-X00, HE 400i, Sony MDR-1000X, MDR 7560 in full size, and a bunch of in-ears: Shrue 545, IE800, 1More triple and Quad, Cardas A8, Sennheiser momentum, etc etc

Amplification/DAC - Centrance Hifi M8, Chord Mojo, Oppo HA2 SE and a Darkvoice.

Sources: Cayin N3, Ruizu A50, Sony A27

Good to be here, I have a bunch of questions on where to go next in the hobby. Long time reader, first time poster.

Aug 11, 2017 at 8:39 AM Post #6,258 of 15,525
Hello all,

My name is Scott, and I'm a headphonaholic. Hope this is the right meeting.

Currently have HD800, HD600, HD6XX, Shure 1540, Fostex TH-X00, HE 400i, Sony MDR-1000X, MDR 7560 in full size, and a bunch of in-ears: Shrue 545, IE800, 1More triple and Quad, Cardas A8, Sennheiser momentum, etc etc

Amplification/DAC - Centrance Hifi M8, Chord Mojo, Oppo HA2 SE and a Darkvoice.

Sources: Cayin N3, Ruizu A50, Sony A27

Good to be here, I have a bunch of questions on where to go next in the hobby. Long time reader, first time poster.
I would say be careful with your wallet, but by the looks of your list, it's way too late for that !! Welcome to Head-Fi

Aug 11, 2017 at 10:31 AM Post #6,259 of 15,525
Thank you Craig, I keep hearing great things about the Focal Elear and reading the impressions thread reinforced that. Have you heard them and what was your take on the Focal Elear?
I went through a back and forth period with the Elear... I REALLY liked it at first but then everyone started talking about the dip in the mids that is noticeable. I started to listen more and when I heard that it kind of made less to what I thought about it. I put them down and listened to other cans after that in the store. I came back to them again and I now really enjoy them! What happened I realized is that I again was able to enjoy them for the the really great things they do right, not the one thing they do "wrong".

They have this immediacy to them that is so striking and fun. They are a very punchy set of cans making the music more engaging and enjoyable for me. Tack on the excellent build quality, above average comfort and That is what all the hype is about.

That type of presentation (punchy and fast transients) is what needs to be auditioned. It's special to both the Elear and big brother Utopia.

Aug 11, 2017 at 6:04 PM Post #6,260 of 15,525
Hey all! New to the audiophile community... like a lot of n00bs here i just joined the Sennheiser HD6XX drop & they'll be my first pair of "high-end" headphones.

Previously had a pair of 598's which i enjoyed well enough but am looking forward to the upgrade :)

Biggest concern now is possible DAC/AMP combinations (budget level is ~ O2+ODAC/Schiit stack)

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2017 at 7:08 PM Post #6,263 of 15,525
I went through a back and forth period with the Elear... I REALLY liked it at first but then everyone started talking about the dip in the mids that is noticeable. I started to listen more and when I heard that it kind of made less to what I thought about it. I put them down and listened to other cans after that in the store. I came back to them again and I now really enjoy them! What happened I realized is that I again was able to enjoy them for the the really great things they do right, not the one thing they do "wrong".

They have this immediacy to them that is so striking and fun. They are a very punchy set of cans making the music more engaging and enjoyable for me. Tack on the excellent build quality, above average comfort and That is what all the hype is about.

That type of presentation (punchy and fast transients) is what needs to be auditioned. It's special to both the Elear and big brother Utopia.

I picked up a pair today, they sound warm and resolving... I guess lush would be a good way to describe that out of the box.

Aug 12, 2017 at 12:02 AM Post #6,265 of 15,525
Long-time lurker, figured I'd join and post because reading posts y'all have made has been incredibly helpful.

I recently decided to find the best IEMs available for under $30 (with help from Head-Fi and a few other sources) but realized soon after that while my ears might enjoy that, my wallet wouldn't. I've happily settled on the Rock Zircons (for now) but found lots of headphones that haven't been talked about here that I think are worth adding to the budget IEM discussion.

I listen to a bit of everything but always appreciate a powerful bass and enough isolation that if I close my eyes on my daily commute I can pretend I'm not packed into a full subway car.

I'm excited to finally be here and add my voice to the discussion.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2017 at 12:24 AM Post #6,266 of 15,525
Long-time lurker, figured I'd join and post because reading posts y'all have made has been incredibly helpful.

I recently decided to find the best IEMs available for under $30 (with help from Head-Fi and a few other sources) but realized soon after that while my ears might enjoy that, my wallet wouldn't. I've happily settled on the Rock Zircons (for now) but found lots of headphones that haven't been talked about here that I think are worth adding to the budget IEM discussion.

I listen to a bit of everything but always appreciate a powerful bass and enough isolation that if I close my eyes on my daily commute I can pretend I'm not packed into a full subway car.

I'm excited to finally be here and add my voice to the discussion.
Welcome aboard, @alex2750!

Aug 12, 2017 at 4:23 AM Post #6,268 of 15,525
Hi all, been reading head-fi for ages but finally made an account to join in the chat. big fan of IEMs since way back, enjoying the value coming out of china at the moment :)
I also have some Chinese products, excellent value and will continue to use their products. Also a lot easier on your wallet, welcome to the Head-Fi family

Aug 12, 2017 at 4:01 PM Post #6,270 of 15,525
Obligatory "New Guy" Post

Hey Head-Fi folk -

Consider this my obligatory "new guy" introductory post. I've been blessed (or cursed?) with a great set of ears by Mother Nature, and can hear things I shouldn't be able to even in my mid-40s. I'm more a gamer and less a high-fidelity music listener; all of the audio moneys I spend are for my gaming rig. To say I've spent "too much" on audio equipment for the rig would be a massive understatement. But I'm always in search of the next bit of tech to clean up the audio from my games.

Anyway: hi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back