New Member Introductions thread
Jun 28, 2017 at 10:26 PM Post #5,926 of 15,567
Hi, first post here!
In a quest to find the best possible audio equipment to play my favorite songs with, I found this forum.
Nice to meet all of you! My wallet isn't really happy with my decision but I'm glad to be here :)

I currently have Soundmagic ES18s, some broken Philips and JBL headphones, a gaming headset and a FiiO E17 (I got it used for a really good deal). Planning to get my Grados and DAP to replace my aging iPod Touch soon!
Welcome!! Watch your pocketbook around here... ---)

Jun 29, 2017 at 3:17 AM Post #5,927 of 15,567
Hi, newb here. I have read the forums in order to document my self a little bit about an amp or amp+dac .

Not sure where to post my questions, basically Im aiming to get some good amp for driving speakers like B&W 602 and some open heads (not yet decided what).

About the amps not sure what to get, audio-gd is a good choice ? I read posts of guys with similar needs as me that went for audio-gd NFB 11 or NFB 15, or maybe I should go for a higher NFB 28.38 if its worth (that enters into my budget at least for now) . Or maybe another amp completely different, Im willing to connect the amp to a PC in order to play flacs and mp3 .

Jun 29, 2017 at 10:06 AM Post #5,928 of 15,567
After lurking long time I finally subscribed
So another newbie here, from the Netherlands.

I won't call myself an headphoniac, I'm more a music-lover who likes to listen to the good stuff. I go to concerts quite often, and work parttime as soundengineer - live music is a benchmark for me (not the decibels, but the atmosphere & energy)

My current lineup of headphones:
- Sennheiser HD580 (at home, doesn't get a lot of use)
- Sennheiser HD435 Vegas (at work, bought it at a garage sale for next-to-nothing, will be replaced in the near future)
- Sennheiser HD25 (for use at the mixing console)
- Shure SE215 (for travel, and sometimes at work when I want to block out the environment and get stuff done)

I recently bought a dac/amp (the NuPrime uDSD) for use at work, a significant improvement over the laptop's jack output. This is also the reason I'm looking for new cans, but I'll post about that in another thread.

My musical taste is quite diverse, mostly symphonic and progressive rock/metal, but I do enjoy some older pop & folk as well. A bit of jazz and classical stuff on the side for variation.

Jun 29, 2017 at 11:59 AM Post #5,929 of 15,567
Hello

Stalked this forum for some years, decided to register.
HD650, DT880 and Dunu Titan 1
Topping NX4 with my Iphone and recently together with a Raspberry PI and Volumio.
Asus Xonar in my PC looking for something else, maybe Topping D30/A30.
I also have a "noname or maybe many names" chinese tube dac/amp, that got me in this rolling of tubes thing.
This tube one has started to hum so I frantically click around for info about a Fitz mod that might help me.

m

Jun 29, 2017 at 12:01 PM Post #5,930 of 15,567
First post (or second post can't remember).

Having difficulties in the world of DAPs - have recently purchased and parted ways with an AK70 and now have a Pioneer XDP-100R which is refusing to engage with Tidal mode offline. Hoping to post about this in one of the main forums once I have the privileges to do so.

Currently using Shure SE-535-LTD (not the Japanese one, just the standard red variant purchased in the UK). Brilliant sound, but only when paired with a great audio source. I had just as much joy listening with my SE-215s with Spotify, so am really looking to get the most out of the 535s.

Jun 29, 2017 at 9:54 PM Post #5,933 of 15,567
Hi everyone! Been around reading reviews on here for a while and thought it was time to contribute a little. I've become a bit of a Chi-fi junky of late, mostly due to family commitments and financial constraints. Own dozens of IEMs, handful of DAPs and amps, plus a tidy little array of entry-level headphones from some renowned manfacturers - AT, AKG, Sennheiser, Grado etc. Actually, come to think of it, my wife's right, I have a bit more than I remembered. But everyone here understands that little predicament, right?

Jun 29, 2017 at 10:10 PM Post #5,934 of 15,567
Hi everyone! Been around reading reviews on here for a while and thought it was time to contribute a little. I've become a bit of a Chi-fi junky of late, mostly due to family commitments and financial constraints. Own dozens of IEMs, handful of DAPs and amps, plus a tidy little array of entry-level headphones from some renowned manfacturers - AT, AKG, Sennheiser, Grado etc. Actually, come to think of it, my wife's right, I have a bit more than I remembered. But everyone here understands that little predicament, right?
I have no idea what you are talking about... ---)

Jun 29, 2017 at 10:50 PM Post #5,935 of 15,567
Good evening!
I'm a total newb to the whole audiophile thing, but am really curious. Up until now, the only pair of "decent" headphones I've had were some Audio Technica earbuds. I've just been violated by a pair of Sennheiser HD380 Pro's, and I hope to be getting a pair of my own in the extremely near future. I won't tell you what I'm getting by on now. I hope to also retrofit my iPod 6g with an SSD and Rockbox firmware. It won't be my first time to THAT rodeo.

Anyhow, I have questions.
1) In the introductory message, the top four, most helpful newbie links came back with 404 errors, like how to describe sound and audiophile jargon.
2) When I've used most (read: cheap) headphones, I get kind of an interference between instruments, sound clips (for techno), etc. that reduces what I would call definition. It's kinda like playing a video game console on an HDTV using the RCA jacks. The image is low-def. But, in the case of audio, I don't know what to call it.
3) I have tinnitus. Are there other audio aficionados here who have it? If so, does it affect your experience significantly and if so, how?

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2017 at 11:29 PM Post #5,936 of 15,567
Good evening!
I'm a total newb to the whole audiophile thing, but am really curious. Up until now, the only pair of "decent" headphones I've had were some Audio Technica earbuds. I've just been violated by a pair of Sennheiser HD380 Pro's, and I hope to be getting a pair of my own in the extremely near future. I won't tell you what I'm getting by on now. I hope to also retrofit my iPod 6g with an SSD and Rockbox firmware. It won't be my first time to THAT rodeo.

Anyhow, I have questions.
1) In the introductory message, the top four, most helpful newbie links came back with 404 errors, like how to describe sound and audiophile jargon.
2) When I've used most (read: cheap) headphones, I get kind of an interference between instruments, sound clips (for techno), etc. that reduces what I would call definition. It's kinda like playing a video game console on an HDTV using the RCA jacks. The image is low-def. But, in the case of audio, I don't know what to call it.
3) I have tinnitus. Are there other audio aficionados here who have it? If so, does it affect your experience significantly and if so, how?
Welcome, @Erich! Not sure about those 404 errors--I'll have to look into it. We have been having some issues since switching to our new platform a while back. Not everything on the site is working properly. What you are describing in your listening experience is a lack of instrument separation and probably the bleeding of bass or mid-bass into the mids, covering them up and making just generally a mess of things. This tends to occur with less resolving headphones and can be largely to nearly completely eradicated with the right gear. Instruments become separated and distinct. Everything opens up.Ta-da!
There is an army of people on the site with tinnitus and sensorineural hearing loss. It is everywhere. My tinnitus affects my listening experience because I can hear the ringing while I am listening, which is annoying. I am very careful with my volume levels, very cautious, and try to be constantly on the lookout for creeping volume levels. I would say most of those with tinnitus here on the site are similarly cautious with their volume levels. Low volumes are the better part of valor. Again--welcome! ---)

Jun 30, 2017 at 2:05 AM Post #5,937 of 15,567
Hey everyone. Like most people, I've been lurking for last year on/off after I have happily started into the hole that is HiFi audio. Figured it was probably the time to finally make an account even if I'm mostly a lurker. It all started with a pair of HD600s, now with too many headphones... can sum it up as a love/hate relationship between my ears and my wallet.

Recently picked up a Valhalla 2 as my first tube amp with the interest in doing some tube rolling. If anyone has any personal experiences beyond what I'm reading in other threads, I'm always interested.

Jun 30, 2017 at 4:18 AM Post #5,938 of 15,567
Hi everyone, after spending a lot of time reading through reviews and recommendations on this great page I decided to create an account as well and possibly, in some time, I will share my view on devices I own or will purchase in future :)

Jun 30, 2017 at 7:38 AM Post #5,939 of 15,567
Hi, hi, Head-Fi! Greetings from South Africa.

I must say, this site is excellent. I have visited it many times, and the sheer amount of information available is extremely welcome to those who hunger therefore (i.e. me). It is an indispensable aid in my current evaluations of the LG V10 and V20.

I am going to receive a pair of these earphones (https://goo.gl/aNZ3gr) to review, courtesy of Banggood.com. I'll be posting it soon, so stay tuned!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back