New Member Introductions thread
Jul 2, 2017 at 9:33 PM Post #5,957 of 15,538
Hi all,
Long time reader, first time poster. I've thoroughly enjoyed my step into the world of higher end head-fi over the last 12 months - informed largely by the excellent forums on this website.
I am only just starting to feel sufficiently qualified to potentially comment on products and also to start trading in some of my purchases to try different products. Looking forward to being a valuable member of these threads.
Best,
Asteron.
Welcome, Asteron!! Watch that wallet... ---)

Jul 3, 2017 at 1:36 AM Post #5,958 of 15,538
Hi Everyone,

I've been a lurker here for longer than I can remember. I mainly hang out over at Audiokarma which has a nice community for my main interest (restoring vintage tube and solid-state amplifiers, mostly Sansui, Luxman, Yamaha, Pioneer). I'm known as "smurfer77" over there. Aside from crappy earbuds that came with walkmans and discmans my headphone story started with a pair of open back Beyerdynamics which I bought in college (mid 90s). Those lasted me until I moved to Japan for work and at that time I picked up an ipod shuffle (you know the chewing gum stick one that sounds great?) and a pair of Shure E2c. I remember how blown away I was on the bus back from Osaka to Tokushima the day I bought those.

Those lasted me a few years and then I have various IEMs such as Etymotic ER6i, HF2, HF3, VSonic GR07 Bass, Futuresonic Atrio M5, Shure SE-215 (one of the best bargains out there IMHO) and several other IEMs. You can't imagine how many different tips I've tried for the various IEMs. I was more into IEMs than cans but over the last few years I had had a couple like Beyer DT-150 (nice and warm and so comfy) and the Fostex TR40RP (sticking with closed back mostly because it suits me (isolation in both directions suits my environments).

Recently I'm trying to get away from using IEMs all of the time since my ear canals just very recently are getting a bit irritated after 15 years of IEM use (some oils help to relieve the irritation; feel free to ask about that). So on a recent flight I quickly bought some Bose QC-20 (I don't really like cans too much for flying since I like to lay my head sideways to sleep) - those QC-20 have so much better noice cancellation than the QC-35 anyway (which I owned for 2 weeks before returning. Loved the comfort, but couldn't handle the hollow mids). The suppression of low frequency might even be better than triple flange tipped IEMs even if the regular IEMS will win out when there is a crying baby or a lot of chatter nearby in the plane/train. Anyway, I didn't imagine I would own Bose ever, and I'm happy experimenting (if only the SQ was better... but still playing with EQ to see if I can get them cooking).

More recently, I'm experimenting with the Sony MDR-1000x, B&O H9, Senn PCX550 & B&W P7 in pursuit of a wireless headphone solution that also sounds more than decent. The Bose QC-35, which I know might be suited to some people, were not for me. It actually looks like it is narrowed down to the 1000x and H9 as of today.... which will win? (depends on how important to me the ANC is really. Got to say though, the Sony really got cooking when I drove them wired from my LG V20 (hence why I'm interested to try portable products like dragonfly etc), where as P7 actually sounded worse (the built-in amp in the P7 is apparently applying mid bass EQ lump. And the mid range can be made quite similar if I dial down 1-3kHz on P7 by about 3-4dB (I hear people say P7 has v-shaped EQ with low mids, but I find they are boosted in mids, which makes then sound engaging and vocals clear, but is occasionally fatiguing on some tracks). So the problem is I love both headphones but will probably keep only one... so that shoot-out continues.

Simultaneously I'm also testing for wireless exercise earphones (Jaybird X3 (poor bluetooth reliability it seems) and Bose soundsport so far). I've had various headphone amps back in the day, with the best one being a ME24 (australian brand) pre-amp which I used the 2nd preamp output to drive headphones. Do have a couple of modest DACs like the Focusrite Forte (which I mainly use for ADC for archiving vinyls and reel-to-reel tapes). I'm curious about trying out the dragonfly devices, and I've just bought an LG V20 (which seems to do a great job with the MDR-1000x etc).

I'm sure I'm missing quite a few things right now, but that gives you an idea; for a loudspeaker guys, I seem to use headphones etc a lot, and it's about time I joined this fine website which I've been reading regularly for as long as it existed!

Cheers
California_Audiophool (head-fi / instagram) aka smurfer77 (Audiokarma)

Jul 3, 2017 at 3:08 AM Post #5,959 of 15,538
Hello all,

I've been browsing this site for probably about 9 months now, which was around when my "gaming" headset broke and I finally decided to leave the world of gaming merchandise behind and get into some of the real stuff. I've only dipped my toe into the audiophile world by trying out the X2s and the K712s but I am looking forwards to joining the community!

Cheers
Nfbourg

Jul 3, 2017 at 8:53 AM Post #5,960 of 15,538
Hi Everyone, i'm Sid and have been out of the audio / HiFi for a while and looking to get back into it, to start back up I've been looking to re-purpose my ipod classic along with a external amp, I haven't had really had opportunity to listen to my music collection properly for a while and hoping i can build up my knowledge using these forums.

I also wanted to say hi to everyone.

Jul 3, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #5,967 of 15,538
My sony mdr w15 expired today frayed wire. I'm bummed and ain't paying over $10.00 for another set curses eBay.
Anyone have a trolling/gym outdoor set they'd recommend. I use an iPhone 5 hopefully w/ a dac soon. No amps needed.
In that price range, you might check out the KZ ATE. It's a bargain and sounds terrific for the money. Pretty well-made, too.

Jul 3, 2017 at 5:43 PM Post #5,968 of 15,538
My sony mdr w15 expired today frayed wire. I'm bummed and ain't paying over $10.00 for another set curses eBay.
Anyone have a trolling/gym outdoor set they'd recommend. I use an iPhone 5 hopefully w/ a dac soon. No amps needed.
Agree with Serman005 on this one ATE hard to beat for the money. You said a dac soon it will have a amp if you mean a portable one and if not you will need a amp.

Jul 3, 2017 at 9:01 PM Post #5,969 of 15,538
Hi everyone. New in this hobby but a music lover since birth. Hoping to learn more about this hobby and meet new friends. God bless!

Jul 3, 2017 at 9:11 PM Post #5,970 of 15,538
Hi everyone. New in this hobby but a music lover since birth. Hoping to learn more about this hobby and meet new friends. God bless!
Welcome Joe. You will find many music lovers here with helpful comments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back