New Member Introductions thread
Jun 9, 2017 at 9:54 PM Post #5,806 of 15,522
Hi All, I have been using this site as a reference for almost a month, and decided to dip into the hobby to see where it will take me. I am starting out small hoping I am getting started in the right direction. I currently am listening to Sennheiser HD600s through my home stereo and computer. I also have a new Schiit Multi, and a Darkvoice 336se, but due to damage on the Darkvoice at arrival have not been able to try these yet. Still waiting for supplier to respond. I like most types of music, but gravitate towards Acoustic, Rock, Jazz, and New Age. I am a little sensitive to booming base, and overly bright highs, but love to hear new sounds and new artists. Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself. I look forward to reviewing more of the great information here, and hopefully I will be able to contribute soon as well.
I'm guessing the Modi multibit and it is a fine choice. I do love the multibit sound. I have it's big brother the Yggy and I could not be happier with my choice.

Jun 9, 2017 at 10:56 PM Post #5,807 of 15,522
Thanks for the feedback, I am hopeful for the Modi-Multi I have heard really good things about the Yggdrasil. Good to hear that the products are good quality. Am thinking about one of their solid state amps to use as a comparison to the tube sound of the DarkVoice. Saw lots of posts that seem to say the Senns do really well with tube amps, plus they just look so darn cool. Any suggestions on what SS amp might pair well with the M-Multi and the HD600s? Was thinking maybe to try the Asgard 2 since price is reasonable.

Jun 10, 2017 at 12:44 AM Post #5,808 of 15,522
Hello to all new Head-Fiers and welcome. This is a great forum to learn, comment, interact, spend money, enjoy music and etc. I certainly have done all that in my time here. :)

I recommend that you all read the Terms of Service to learn how best to use Head-Fi. There is solid, constructive advice from the admins and moderators, for example how to post, when you can offer gear for sale, and stuff like that. It's helpful.

I must say, a new member buying a $3,500 DAP - wow! Hope it works out for you @SoundBytes.

Don't forget about the law of diminishing returns. And, if you folks are still in school - best of success with your studies!

Enjoy your music!
RCBinTN

Thank you for your post, the spend money part (*warning*) especially :D

Jun 10, 2017 at 12:49 AM Post #5,809 of 15,522
Haven't heard of that one you would have thought it would have been at CanJam SoCal. It quotes better specs than the 380 not for sure if that is with or without the amp module. If it is relatively close to the sound quality of the 380 you are definitely in for a treat as the 380 is the best I've heard to date. Congrats and give a full report after you get it.

Yes please provide us with your impressions of the SP1000. I noticed the price of the 380Cu has taken a nose dive at my local retailer...it's price fell 30%+ not sure how much of this is due to the SP1000 coming out

Jun 10, 2017 at 8:30 AM Post #5,811 of 15,522
Thanks for the feedback, I am hopeful for the Modi-Multi I have heard really good things about the Yggdrasil. Good to hear that the products are good quality. Am thinking about one of their solid state amps to use as a comparison to the tube sound of the DarkVoice. Saw lots of posts that seem to say the Senns do really well with tube amps, plus they just look so darn cool. Any suggestions on what SS amp might pair well with the M-Multi and the HD600s? Was thinking maybe to try the Asgard 2 since price is reasonable.

Considering the very reasonable price of your Headphones I think spending $500 on DACs and amps right out of the gate is a mistake. I'd say start off with the base Modi. If you need the extra inputs then there's the SMSL Sanskrit. I don't think you'll be hearing a difference between these and the multibit. The basic Magni is a great transparent amp, check that out as well.

Jun 11, 2017 at 6:01 AM Post #5,812 of 15,522
Hi All, Finders here.
I'm new to the forum too. I'm all about music, but i do not consider myself an audiophile. An audio enthusiast, instead. Nice to meet you all. I never had expensive headphones, relatively speaking, and i always preferred mobility over sound signature. For now the nearly-perfect cans i found are the Momentum Over Ear 2.0 Wirelles. Pretty expensive, i know. But having that nice sound quality everywhere i go, with a non invasive noise cancelling, and being wire-free for me is the top. Next purchase will be the hd 650s though. I don't have much experience in high-end open-back cans, so expect some questions from me :)

Jun 11, 2017 at 4:37 PM Post #5,813 of 15,522
Does yours have the optical out of the headphone jack if so you can see if that helps. I have a MacBook Pro mid 2010 and my Yggy was no problem at all. I'm running Yosemite which is 10.10.5 . I've tried to keep it up to date but heard Sierra has had trouble with some audio so I haven't upgraded.
I should have said, the laptop is a Powerbook G4, sorry. No optical out, Headphones and USB only

Jun 11, 2017 at 6:16 PM Post #5,814 of 15,522
Hey guys, Im new to the forum but have been reading posts for years as I do copious amounts of research before buying things *gasp* but anyways I have a 2.1 HiFi as well as the desktop setup I am just starting to build. I am looking for over ear headphones that compare favorably to etymotic HF5s as they are my favorite portable music source and are incredibly comparable to my HiFi. I am a college student so please keep that in mind if you do reply. My source line is as follows PC>Tidal>iFi iDSD LE> head-fi and for my HiFi it goes PC>Tidal>OL DAC> Pioneer A40> Ascend Acoustics cbm-170se and SVS SB-1000

Jun 11, 2017 at 6:39 PM Post #5,815 of 15,522
I should have said, the laptop is a Powerbook G4, sorry. No optical out, Headphones and USB only
I do not know how far back Schiit goes for there output for mac. It looks like the G4 was discontinued in 05 so that might be the problem. You could try upgrading but you are talking 12 years old and don't know how far you can go. That is very old. I thought my mid 2010 MacBook Pro was old. I don't know which way to go. I doubt that it is going to work could be wrong. Mac switched to Intel in 05 and since you have a G4 I doubt that you can make it work as Schiit started in 2010 so I doubt you can make it work. Sorry but I don't think you can make it work you should try the Mac Forums if they have a work around I'm keeping my fingers crossed but it isn't looking too good.

Jun 11, 2017 at 6:41 PM Post #5,816 of 15,522
Can you get your Mac to run Linux?

Jun 12, 2017 at 10:32 AM Post #5,817 of 15,522
Hi guys! My name is Francesco, and thanks to the suggestion of this amazing forum I bought a Cayin N3!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back