New Member Introductions thread
Apr 6, 2024 at 11:23 AM Post #15,466 of 15,533
Hi everyone! I left this forum a few years ago but read occasionally some reviews and recommendations. Time to join again :beerchug:
Cheers Stefano

Apr 8, 2024 at 5:43 PM Post #15,469 of 15,533
Hello,

My name is Frank and I'm a Headphone Addict, or so it's starting to seem like that. Just getting into headphones and wanted to say what a great site this is. It's already helped me in my first tube amp purchase and headphone upgrade
L3000.gif
how do i add add a post to a thread?

Apr 9, 2024 at 1:51 PM Post #15,470 of 15,533
Lifelong music lover and mid-fi audiophile from the suburbs of Washington DC.

I’m an old guy who laments the demise of broadcast radio, at least in the DC area, where it used to be excellent but is new unlistenable (to my ears). I enjoy several channels of Radio Paradise but find myself listening mostly to classical and jazz. When Mike Marrone ran The Loft on XM Radio that’s where my ears stayed glued but those days are no more. Alas.

My primary headphones are OG Focal Clears, and the more wife-friendly Elegias.

Apr 9, 2024 at 2:56 PM Post #15,471 of 15,533

I’m an old guy who laments the demise of broadcast radio, at least in the DC area, where it used to be excellent but is new unlistenable (to my ears). I enjoy several channels of Radio Paradise but find myself listening mostly to classical and jazz. When Mike Marrone ran The Loft on XM Radio that’s where my ears stayed glued but those days are no more. Alas.

Welcome!

Have used both Elegia and Clear!
Loved Focal Clear! :)

Apr 9, 2024 at 4:12 PM Post #15,472 of 15,533
Hey all, I created an account here to get some more in depth discussion than what exists on Reddit. I've dipped my toe into the audiophile head-fi space and am looking to learn more and get some guidance and advice on what to get next.

I primarily listen to music (Tidal and youtube) on the PC, in addition to movies and some gaming. I have a Schiit Bifrost 2/64, Lokius EQ, and Jotunheim 2 amp stack. I have a number of headphones on the low end of the hifi range (my favorites are HE-5XX and Meze 99's, but also have K7XX, B&W P7, and PC38X) and am looking for something a bit more high end similar to the Hifimans and Meze's (good bass and sub-bass presence). I'm looking for feedback on the Audeze LCD-3, Focal Clear, Focal Stellia (would have to look for these used), or Hifiman Arya. Thanks!

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2024 at 4:19 PM Post #15,473 of 15,533
looking for something a bit more high end similar to the Hifimans and Meze's (good bass and sub-bass presence). I'm looking for feedback on the Audeze LCD-3, Focal Clear, Focal Stellia (would have to look for these used), or Hifiman Arya. Thanks!
You could go cheaper with the Focal Elex. It sounds and performs remarkably close to the Clear, but at half the price.

Apr 9, 2024 at 4:28 PM Post #15,474 of 15,533

WPFW used to be a good jazz station.. now i live in the Northern Neck of VA and we have zero radio stations :D :D :D.... i've been lamenting Eva Cassidy lately.. what a tragic loss.. she sounds angelic in every headphone i have.. yes even the Mid Fi spectrum...

Apr 9, 2024 at 4:50 PM Post #15,475 of 15,533
WHFS in Bethesda was my go to station in the 70s (and sometimes WGTB overnight until the University shut it down). Had particular favorite (and less favorite) deejays at WPFW… and every other station for that matter. Even the public radio stations had a few interesting slots every week.

Can you believe I lived in the Annapolis area from about 85-96, worked at Tower Records and never saw Eva Cassidy? All I knew about her was that we sold an album she did with Chuck Brown of gogo fame that I wasn’t interested in. 🙄 Did see some good jazz shows at the King of France Tavern, though. Joe Pass, a very young Martin Taylor, Gene Bertoncini with Michael Moore, etc.

Thanks for saying hi.

Apr 10, 2024 at 3:36 AM Post #15,476 of 15,533
Thanks for saying hi
And hello to you Mr Stoat as I had never met a Stoat before! :ksc75smile:

giphy.gif

Tiny Baby Stoat Has The Best Reaction When She Meets Someone Like Her

Apr 10, 2024 at 7:54 AM Post #15,477 of 15,533
Hi all, I’m Si, 51 years old and love listening to music!
I have a decent hifi (Roksan ) and Roksan speakers too.
But I’ve been wanting some decent headphones for ages, I posted recently about getting the hd 800s but changed my mind as they don’t come across as all rounders in the reviews I watched.
I needed two pairs of headphones , one for sat down in the house and a wireless pair for when I’m away from home or in bed at night.
I’ve took the plunge last night and ordered the focal mg pro’s , and the focal bathys.
I wanted the bronze coloured mg’s but I found the pro’s a lot cheaper so I’ve gone for them.
I’ve not had headphones since the original Sennheiser momentum’s about 15 years ago, so I’m hoping for a big increase in quality , I’ve also got lots of other headphones on my wanted list I hope to get in the future xx

Apr 11, 2024 at 9:24 PM Post #15,479 of 15,533

Welcome another VA Head-fi'er

Users who are viewing this thread

Back