New MEIER AUDIO headphone amp "CORDA CLASSIC"
Nov 21, 2013 at 6:42 AM Post #211 of 501
  I enjoy the concerto very much with my Edition 8. Completely agree with AiDee's characterization of its sound. It is a fast amp for sure. I replaced the opamps in the concerto to the AD797BN and it took it to a whole new level. Also going to try the LME49990 :)

I am curious about the classic though. Might try it one of these days. Comments about the soundstage and fuller sound have me interested.

Hey - that sounds interresting. I would love to try the AD797BN. Can you say a little bit more about the differences to the stock OPAMPS?

How many OPAMPS does the Concerto have? It is 5 right?

Nov 21, 2013 at 11:19 AM Post #212 of 501
  Hey - that sounds interresting. I would love to try the AD797BN. Can you say a little bit more about the differences to the stock OPAMPS?

How many OPAMPS does the Concerto have? It is 5 right?

6 opamps. The 797BN is a very open sounding, fast and detailed opamp. In comparison the 797A although very good in and of itself has a slightly compressed stage but perhaps with slightly better bass. 

Nov 21, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #213 of 501

6 opamps. The 797BN is a very open sounding, fast and detailed opamp. In comparison the 797A although very good in and of itself has a slightly compressed stage but perhaps with slightly better bass. 

OK thanks. Faster and more details. That sounds like something worth trying. I can live without some bass since I am not a bass addict. OPAMPS are usually very cheap so I will try to find 6 pcs of those here in the EU. 

Nov 23, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #214 of 501
  OK thanks. Faster and more details. That sounds like something worth trying. I can live without some bass since I am not a bass addict. OPAMPS are usually very cheap so I will try to find 6 pcs of those here in the EU. 

Yes the BN version is a bit rare. Make sure you get genuine ones. There are a number of sellers from china selling em but not sure if they're authentic. I got mine (and a spare set) from another head-fier. 

Nov 27, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #215 of 501
Anyone got Meyer Corda Head 6 for sale ??  
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 28, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #219 of 501
Jan has a 'sale-action' on at the moment. http://www.meier-audio.homepage.t-online.de/ I wish that I had more euros stashed away.

Feb 6, 2014 at 3:28 PM Post #221 of 501
Did a A/B between Lyr & Meier Classic using HE 500, source was Audio GD NFB 7 with Mac Mini running Pure Music & Wav files. IMHO the Meier Classic is better than the Lyr for driving the HE 500. Better dynamics (more fun, exciting to listen to) & slightly bigger sound stage. I was keeping the Lyr around only for the HE 500, looks like might not be needing it anymore.

Feb 6, 2014 at 5:18 PM Post #223 of 501
  Did a A/B between Lyr & Meier Classic using HE 500, source was Audio GD NFB 7 with Mac Mini running Pure Music & Wav files. IMHO the Meier Classic is better than the Lyr for driving the HE 500. Better dynamics (more fun, exciting to listen to) & slightly bigger sound stage. I was keeping the Lyr around only for the HE 500, looks like might not be needing it anymore.

What tubes were you using in the Lyr? Just out of curiosity...

Feb 7, 2014 at 12:28 PM Post #225 of 501
^ The Lyr is an entirely different beast dependent on tubes - very responsive to rolling. Those are pretty fair tubes but I wouldn't be too quick to draw conclusions. OTOH the tubes that work best with the Lyr got driven to astronomical prices then became unobtainable!

However, I agree - the Classic is a superb and versatile amp. Full bodied (meaning balanced tone from bass to highs), neither dry nor wet, nice soundstage and good dynamics. I'm mostly into tubes these days but the Classic is the reference point I use to help tune and periodically re-calibrate my Decwares.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back