New MEIER AUDIO headphone amp "CORDA CLASSIC"
Apr 3, 2024 at 8:02 AM Post #496 of 501
I'm going to go ahead and say time hasn't been kind this amplifier.

I'm not sure if its the Daccord or the Classic....but something is extremely sterile and analytical, no weight to the notes and really harsh to listen too, like listening to glass shatter....I think its the AMP. The only way to listen to it is to put the tone switch on high to tame the highs, but then it sounds even worse everywhere else.
I'm going to start upgrading it, starting with the AMP.
Hi Dominick! I bought your Meier Audio Classic from you a few years ago. It's a great sounding
HEADPHONE amplifier. I use it with a few dacs: Audio By Van Alstine Insight Multibit dac, Schiit
Modius and an ifi Zen Dac Signature V1. The Classic works well with all of them and sounds particularly
good with my Sennheiser HD600 and HD6XX. 👍

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2024 at 8:08 AM Post #497 of 501
Hi Dominick! I bought your Meier Audio Classic from you a few years ago. It's a great sounding
HEADPHONE amplifier. I use it with a few dacs: Audio By Van Alstine Insight Multibit dac, Schiit
Modius and an ifi Zen Dac Signature V1. The Classic works well with all of them and sounds particularly
good with my Sennheiser HD600 and HD6XX. 👍
hahah HI!

I'm glad you are still enjoying it!
Nostalgia recently got a hold of me an I acquired yet another Daccord and Classic.

Apr 3, 2024 at 8:18 AM Post #498 of 501
hahah HI!

I'm glad you are still enjoying it!
Nostalgia recently got a hold of me an I acquired yet another Daccord and Classic.
Yes, I really like the sound of the Classic. It's nothing flashy, but you can
listen to it for hours on end without becoming fatigued.

Maybe the Classic and Daccord need to be recapped? I guess they're at least a decade old or
more so if they have had a lot of use you might want to send them back to Jan
for a service. I know that the Classic is more on the neutral side sonically,
nothing harsh or shrill (especially in the highs). So if you're hearing a
harshness it may be due to capacitors that are wearing out.

Best of luck with getting it sorted!

Jim

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2024 at 6:55 PM Post #499 of 501
It is true that compared to other amplifiers the Meier amplifiers are very neutral. So, depending of what other amplifiers you have been using lately they can deceive your ears. But I have certainly heard other amplifiers that were much more boring and lifeless than the Classic.

The funny thing right now is that I am tempted to get myself a Corda Jazz ff... but that is the only one of Jan Meiers old amplifiers that are not discounted...

Yeah neutral is how I (and most people) would describe their signature. They don't really impart much of a character of their own, but rather just a clear, smooth, wide and very dynamic sound. I never found them dry or analytical, but you can certainly do a LOT better than the AD797 opamps that are stock with the Classic (and others).

Apr 4, 2024 at 8:40 AM Post #501 of 501
I believe the issue was the USB cable.
Using a Spdif cable now and everything has resolved to how I remember this stack sounding.
It's amazing how much difference an audio cable can make in how
a system can sound. Glad that it was an easy fix! 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back