New MEIER AUDIO headphone amp "CORDA CLASSIC"
Dec 21, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #481 of 501
I used to own the classic, if I recall correctly you could switch voltage at the bottom (not backside, bottom)

His email should still be:
meier-audio@t-online.de

Thanks for the quick reply, Thanatos! I remember speaking with you in regard
to your Classic a while ago, but it was already sold. I tried that email address for Jan, but it came back as undeliverable. Should have my Classic in a few weeks and I'm really looking forward to hearing it in my headfi system.

Thanks again for the helpful reply and Happy Holidays to you and your loved ones!

Jim

Jun 22, 2022 at 6:29 AM Post #482 of 501
Well that killed my buzz! I've been running the Burson V6 Vivids for several months now (since early January) in my Corda Classic, enjoying the sound IMMENSELY. I asked Jan an unrelated question, and come to find out the Classic runs its opamps at 18v and the Bursons are only rated for 16.5v (says 17v on the datasheet) and allegedly could blow up at any moment!

Screenshot_20220622-055524_Gmail.jpg

Well, that really sucks! I guess I'm lucky it's been fine thus far, but now I'm not sure what I should do next. I also sent Burson an email asking about it, just to be sure, but I've got to decide what my next move will be.

Jun 22, 2022 at 8:50 AM Post #483 of 501
Well that killed my buzz! I've been running the Burson V6 Vivids for several months now (since early January) in my Corda Classic, enjoying the sound IMMENSELY. I asked Jan an unrelated question, and come to find out the Classic runs its opamps at 18v and the Bursons are only rated for 16.5v (says 17v on the datasheet) and allegedly could blow up at any moment!

Screenshot_20220622-055524_Gmail.jpg

Well, that really sucks! I guess I'm lucky it's been fine thus far, but now I'm not sure what I should do next. I also sent Burson an email asking about it, just to be sure, but I've got to decide what my next move will be.
It's always a bit risky when you use after market parts in a piece of audio gear. I own a Corda Classic, Corda Jazz ff, and a Gustard H10,
and run them on their stock op amps. At least I know the stock op amps are properly rated for the circuitry in each respective piece of gear.

I'd speak to Jan Meier about which stock op amps he used in the Corda Classic and then use those... 😊

Jun 22, 2022 at 8:51 AM Post #484 of 501
I got my answer! Jan says with a little soldering skill you can replace a couple voltage regulators and bring down the input voltage to 15v.

Screenshot_20220622-081316_Gmail.jpg

Good to know! Maybe it will help someone else.

Dec 17, 2023 at 10:22 AM Post #485 of 501
I can only agree to that. I have bought and borrowed several other amplifiers to compare with my Concerto over the years and even though some of them had that initial wow-factor they all failed in the long run. The Concerto (and Classic I assume) just plays music the way it is supposed to sound. I do not have a desktop rig at the moment but when I am going to get one again I will not look anywhere else than at a Meier amplifier.
Do you still have your Meier Classic ff? I have a Classic and really enjoy it.

Dec 17, 2023 at 1:52 PM Post #486 of 501
Dec 17, 2023 at 2:15 PM Post #487 of 501
Yes! Indeed I still have it and I still enjoy it.
Glad to hear it! They're fairly rare on the used market. Especially since Jan stopped manufacturing them.
I purchased mine from a seller in Australia a few years ago. It's the farthest distance any item I have ever purchased
has traveled - about 12,000 miles from Australia to the United States! How would you compare the Classic to the Concerto?

Dec 17, 2023 at 3:05 PM Post #488 of 501
Glad to hear it! They're fairly rare on the used market. Especially since Jan stopped manufacturing them.
I purchased mine from a seller in Australia a few years ago. It's the farthest distance any item I have ever purchased
has traveled - about 12,000 miles from Australia to the United States! How would you compare the Classic to the Concerto?
This Amplifier is all worth getting from the other side of the world. 😊
But it has been so many years since I had the Concerto so I cannot remember how it sounded compared to the Classic. So I cannot help much here.

Dec 17, 2023 at 4:11 PM Post #489 of 501
This Amplifier is all worth getting from the other side of the world. 😊
But it has been so many years since I had the Concerto so I cannot remember how it sounded compared to the Classic. So I cannot help much here.
I agree, it's a really nice sounding headphone amplifier. 👍

Apr 3, 2024 at 5:45 AM Post #490 of 501
I'm going to go ahead and say time hasn't been kind this amplifier.

I'm not sure if its the Daccord or the Classic....but something is extremely sterile and analytical, no weight to the notes and really harsh to listen too, like listening to glass shatter....I think its the AMP. The only way to listen to it is to put the tone switch on high to tame the highs, but then it sounds even worse everywhere else.
I'm going to start upgrading it, starting with the AMP.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2024 at 6:11 AM Post #491 of 501

I'm not sure if its the Daccord or the Classic....but something is extremely sterile and analytical, no weight to the notes and really harsh to listen too, like listening to glass shatter....I think its the AMP. The only way to listen to it is to put the tone switch on high to tame the highs, but then it sounds even worse everywhere else.

I never had the DACCORD, but my Corda Classic never sounded shrill like you're describing. It did get a sizeable upgrade in sound when I replaced all the opamps with Sparkos Labs SS3601s.

Apr 3, 2024 at 7:19 AM Post #492 of 501

It is true that compared to other amplifiers the Meier amplifiers are very neutral. So, depending of what other amplifiers you have been using lately they can deceive your ears. But I have certainly heard other amplifiers that were much more boring and lifeless than the Classic.

The funny thing right now is that I am tempted to get myself a Corda Jazz ff... but that is the only one of Jan Meiers old amplifiers that are not discounted...

Apr 3, 2024 at 7:35 AM Post #494 of 501
Are you using an IEM or headphone with microphone on the cable? Then it could be a TRRS problem with the plug not connecting properly...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back