New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne"
Apr 4, 2015 at 5:25 PM Post #7,547 of 8,377
Just to add my 2c to the discussion:

I'm not a cable believer, but I also wanted to add a bit more presence up top and clarity to the Roxannes, and found a portable system that gives me just that (for the price of some cables, BTW, which is one of the reasons I'm not a cable guy).

I've added a Pico Slim to the FiiO X5's line out and there you go. The Roxys are drier, bass and mids are tighter, highs are more present and more extended and the sound signature is snappier, more transparent and more refined. Also, the soundstage is quite more tridimensional and layered than what I get with my iPod Classic, reminding me of the wonderful Calyx M but with a different, more analytical presentation. It's much closer to the sound I get with my desktop setup (GS-X and Yulong D100) and considerably better than what I had with all the DAPs I've owned previously (HM-801, DX100, ZX1 and AK100 II).

So the result is that the Roxannes sound more refined, transparent and neutral, but just as organic if not entirely as musical. I think the Pico Slim has fantastic synergy with the Roxannes, and when paired with a good source makes a great system.

Apr 5, 2015 at 10:09 AM Post #7,548 of 8,377
I wish they had a normal connector I'd just use the Twag V2 with it its one of my favs. I guess I meant I'm looking for the stereotypical bright silver sound, with increased clarity and tightness. TOxic cables goes for clarity without the bright sound if you believe that sort of thing. I like their silver poison but it wasn't very bright sounding...

Yeah. It took quite some time to get readily available cables with the Roxanne connectors on the market. And even then, only a few cable manufacturers have actually produced retail models. Am really interested to see what DHC is able to do with their cables.

Nope, decided to keep them.

Nice! What made you change your mind?

Apr 5, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #7,549 of 8,377
Anyone have any specific comparisons between the ak Roxanne universal vs the normal jh version? Or the custom vs Normal jh universal

It is somewhere in this thread. I believe the AK version was tuned specifically for the AK240 so if ur not using that DAP, just get the normal version.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Apr 5, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #7,550 of 8,377
Nice! What made you change your mind?
Well I wanted to just keep two or three iems at most. The SE5 is my favorite all rounder, the Ref1 my best universal, and the 335 is the most comfortable, easy sounding and unsellable. So the Roxanne was going. However in the end, I still like the Roxanne, plus I have the beautiful CF edition and I would lose a lot by selling them...so I'm keeping 4...

Apr 5, 2015 at 11:21 PM Post #7,553 of 8,377
I find the ak roxanne sound much closer to the custom than the universal. I'd pick the am version any time. Plus you get a balance cable. Useful if you have a ak
how they differ the unirox and akro3?

AK03 is significantly darker than UniRox (when not using an AK240). I don't know how both sound on the AK240 tho

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Apr 6, 2015 at 2:20 AM Post #7,555 of 8,377
  Have anyone done comparisons between Roxanne, Layla and JH16?

I hope to do Layla, Roxanne (both universal) and JH13FP at some point soon. 

Apr 6, 2015 at 11:16 AM Post #7,556 of 8,377
Well I wanted to just keep two or three iems at most. The SE5 is my favorite all rounder, the Ref1 my best universal, and the 335 is the most comfortable, easy sounding and unsellable. So the Roxanne was going. However in the end, I still like the Roxanne, plus I have the beautiful CF edition and I would lose a lot by selling them...so I'm keeping 4...

Yeah, for me, I don't think I'll be selling my Roxanne anytime soon, if ever. The sound is very lush and musical, and I've grown very fond of them. There may be IEMs with greater clarity and detail, but no one sings like the Roxanne does. Glad to hear that you're keeping them.

Btw, how does your Silver Widow change the sound of the Roxanne? Does clarity or detail improve, especially in the treble region?

Apr 6, 2015 at 11:21 AM Post #7,557 of 8,377
Yeah, for me, I don't think I'll be selling my Roxanne anytime soon, if ever. The sound is very lush and musical, and I've grown very fond of them. There may be IEMs with greater clarity and detail, but no one sings like the Roxanne does. Glad to hear that you're keeping them.

Btw, how does your Silver Widow change the sound of the Roxanne? Does clarity or detail improve, especially in the treble region?
I haven't compared as I do not believe in cables affecting sound. I upgraded for looks and ergonomics.

Apr 6, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #7,558 of 8,377
I haven't compared as I do not believe in cables affecting sound. I upgraded for looks and ergonomics.

I see. Well, the silver cables look really pretty. Like you, I'm looking toward an upgrade cable mostly with ergonomics in mind. I hate memory wire, and I was thinking of removing them from the stock Roxanne cables. I'm afraid I might damage the wires, though - the last time I attempted to remove the metal guide, I ended up destroying the cable. 
ph34r.gif

Apr 9, 2015 at 10:28 AM Post #7,560 of 8,377
I want to know what is the thought for you comparing Roxanne with noble K10?

The K10 is more balanced and has a more prominent treble presentation. The highs have more sparkle, extension and detail. On the other hand, the Roxanne has smooth treble, with a touch less clarity.

Midrange on both the K10 and the Roxanne are lush and warm, but the Roxanne sounds a bit thicker and weightier. Both are exceptionally good with vocals.

The K10 has slightly leaner bass (compared to the lowest bass level on the Roxanne), but both are punchy and very well textured. Extension is also a good feature on both IEMs.

The Roxanne has a larger soundstage that is very wide and deep. The K10 loses out in this aspect, but makes up for it with slightly more precise imaging.

Overall, the Roxanne has a lusher, more rounded tonality, with an exceptional soundstage. Compared to them, the K10 sounds a tad leaner, with a more prominent treble region, and better clarity throughout.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back