New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne"
Sep 20, 2014 at 11:54 AM Post #6,916 of 8,377
How the heck do BA drivers burn in?  I'm not saying they don't, I'm just curious how.  Or does use affect the crossover circuits?

Sep 20, 2014 at 12:11 PM Post #6,917 of 8,377
How the heck do BA drivers burn in?  I'm not saying they don't, I'm just curious how.  Or does use affect the crossover circuits?

Ask that question in the Sound Science forum for some interesting replies:wink:

Sep 20, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #6,918 of 8,377
Thank you for your responses! You're giving me some hope. When you say burn in, do you mean set them down and let some music play through them or have them in my ear during the initial burn in? Because the former would be technical and the latter psychological. Interested in your methods :)

Sep 20, 2014 at 1:46 PM Post #6,919 of 8,377
Thank you for your responses! You're giving me some hope. When you say burn in, do you mean set them down and let some music play through them or have them in my ear during the initial burn in? Because the former would be technical and the latter psychological. Interested in your methods
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm still a little skeptical.  Having said that, I would put them on and enjoy!  If they get better as time goes on, it's a bonus!

Sep 20, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #6,920 of 8,377
  I'm still a little skeptical.  Having said that, I would put them on and enjoy!  If they get better as time goes on, it's a bonus!

I'm afraid of doing that. I'm not a believer in "burn-in" but I do believe our brains need time to adjust. Initial impressions are important to me because to me that's their true sound if purely psychological. If, for some reason, these headphones need a to be burnt in physically due to some unique quality of the drivers/ other components then I would prefer to listen to the difference after having them run outside my ears. I'm interested in if the people here, who have noticed the IEM open up after burn in, listened to them during burn in or after.

Thanks all ^_^

Sep 20, 2014 at 2:11 PM Post #6,921 of 8,377
You would have to listen 24/7 for quite a while to put any serious hours on them.
Most people who burn in leave them playing music or particular tones day and night. Personally I don't buy it but can't do any harm.
Interesting that a senior tech at Shure burned in a pair of IEMS and then compared the output to a pair fresh off the production line. No measurable difference in output.
This debate will run and run though!

Sep 20, 2014 at 6:21 PM Post #6,922 of 8,377
I do a little bit of both. I will use it when I am using it either to play dota2 or listening to music and youtube, I also leave it playing pink noise at night while I am sleeping until morning. The most noticeable difference is the sibilance. I've played the same song that is very sibilance (empire of the sun alive zedd remix) in which I couldn't stand listening to it, now it is still sibilance, but it's not hurting me anymore.

Sep 20, 2014 at 7:12 PM Post #6,923 of 8,377
I used to have a very specific schedule of pink noise, music, and sine wave sweeps, but now I just run music on continuously..got lazy.

Sep 20, 2014 at 7:35 PM Post #6,924 of 8,377
I swear after about a weeks of playing the roxanne settled down. I know that burn-in had an effect due to the fact that at three bars of sound on my Mac or iphone the sound isn't as loud as it was in the beginning. The sound was boomy and boxy the first 10 hours or so. I can agree that the sound has settled and is smoother with a broad soundstage.

Sep 20, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #6,925 of 8,377
I just plugged them in to my iPod and let it play through my library for about a week. Like others have said I went from not liking them much at all to loving them but it took a few weeks. 

Sep 21, 2014 at 12:13 AM Post #6,926 of 8,377
In my opinion, not all IEMs change with burning in, for example: Westone UM3, but the Roxanne sure do. Probably due to the fact it has 12 BA drivers per channel with 4 tuned in unison per band. I think it's quite hard to do that because if just one of the 4 drivers is off tuned slightly there will be serious phasing problem, especially with the treble ones, probably that's what happened to my first pair of AKR03 which got replaced. My second pair initially had some slight phasing problem or some would called sibilance, and the effect became less and less after burning in. I burned them in 24/7 for 2 weeks, with white noise and music, only monitoring the changes every other night for half an hour.

Sep 21, 2014 at 12:17 AM Post #6,927 of 8,377
Yes, not all BA IEMs will change with burn-in. My W4R doesn't change at all, where 99% of my DD IEMs do change with burn-in.

Sep 22, 2014 at 3:41 PM Post #6,928 of 8,377
Just doesn't make sense for a company to put out a product, which is all about first impressions, and have the end-user put in work to make it sound like it's supposed to. It's really shocking to me because JH is known to excel at Rock but after listening to a few songs they sound so muddy/bloated I can barely make out the guitar tune but can make out the drums/snares. Plugging in a 10 dollar pair of headphones, I can easily hear the melody.

Sep 22, 2014 at 5:13 PM Post #6,929 of 8,377
My AKR03 may not sound perfect before burning in but they still sounded excellent right out of the box, were the ones you heard faulty?

Just doesn't make sense for a company to put out a product, which is all about first impressions, and have the end-user put in work to make it sound like it's supposed to. It's really shocking to me because JH is known to excel at Rock but after listening to a few songs they sound so muddy/bloated I can barely make out the guitar tune but can make out the drums/snares. Plugging in a 10 dollar pair of headphones, I can easily hear the melody.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back